Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been lingering around the outside of this forum for a very long time, since march of 2014, became a member may 2014, after I bought a 2014 liquid graphite FZ09. I had been watching this bike come into this world for awhile before I bought it. I had ordered it to be sent to my first duty station, which unfortunately ended up being California. But after getting her here, riding around Cali wasn't so bad. the weather here on the Central coast isn't that bad. Fast forward about 10 months, I got into a pretty bad accident. On March 26, 2015, I got on the bike to take some friends on a little back road, that the local riders call tepesquet. Lots of cliff side corners and twisties. Well, I never made it that far. Apparently I went straight in a corner, and hit a fence post, which was actually a standing railroad tie. I lost my memory of the event, and didn't start remembering things again until April 4, sometime in the late afternoon. I busted my head, had a hemorrhaging brain, and I had numerous fractures around my eye. I also had broken ribs on the opposite side of my skull fractures. The only reason why I am alive is because of my helmet, a SHARK helmet. Only had it for a month.

Anyway, Damage done to the bike are as followed:

Dented tank
Misaligned front wheel/forks
Damaged chain/Sprockets
Dented/pinched exhaust headers
Bent Handlebars
Broken/Cracked Mirror
Dented front rim (1mm or less on the left side lip of the rim is pushed in, you can only see it because of scuffs)
Broken Front Right Turn signal
Slight scratching on right side of swingarm(4 scratches 1 inch in length)
Scraped passenger Peg and driver peg on right side

That is all the damage done to the bike. Now, I have a reasonable excuse to tear here apart and rebuild her they way she should have been built....maybe. This will be a slow build due to the fact I am military, and I don't get paid enough to build a extravagant custom project. So, I have put in the WANTED section certain parts that I am looking for.

The plan:

Buell bars
Rearsets
Passenger Delete plates/rear brake cylinder relocating
Custom Colored Chain and Sprockets (17F 40-43R gearing)
New Colored Brake lines
Barend Mirrors
New Tires
Upgraded Brakes
Possible Custom Paint Job
Possible custom/Modified windscreen
Suspension Upgrades
New Exhaust/Custom built exhaust(need headers)
Possible new rim(gonna see if I can tweek it by hand)
ECU Flash (depending on the exhaust I get)
Throttle Mods if Necessary

Y'all do me a favor and throw in some more custom stuff or ideas that are not gonna cost a $1000 a piece. I am not made of money, just a predictable pay check. I've already started, and I don't take many pictures, but I will post as many pictures as I can in a day or two about the current build status, and all the old parts that are damaged that I still have.

(Mario voice) Lets a'go!

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FZ09R...I had buell bars already purchased before I crashed....yeah. I wish I had the woodcraft clip-on plate and everything....that would be awesome.

jth_fz09....I actually should not be able to see straight, nor have perfect motor skill functionality. the worst part is not remembering the helicopter ride. I love flying, and I don't remember it. which bites.

·
Banned
486 Posts
about your misaligned front end

i bumped a curb hard and the left fork was pushed up higher in the clamps more than the other one
anyway, i ligned them up, torqued everything down and took it for a ride, around 120mph i get a headshake and it just gets worse if i try to accelerate out of it, and other times i can be going 120 consistently and out of no where i get intoa bad tank slapper, what do you think is wrong? i can eye my lower triple clamp and it looks straight, but i take a machinists ruleand measure the lines on both the fork tubes fron the bottom of both clamps and there is about a0.7mm difference.
does that mean i need a new lower triple clamp ?

·
Banned
486 Posts
btw i was able to twist both forks and move up and down no problem
the bike tracks straight and the bars are straight but when i hit triple digits the front end just wants to shake
the shake is not nothing like lock to lock but if i accel after 120 it gets bad, but i wouldnt go as far as to say it is a severe head shake

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fixed that alignment. found a little thread on here the other day. had to break every thing loose, minus the top clamp. put the rear on a stand, then started doing compressions straight down on the top clamps. it realigned everything. I cant remember which thread it was, but it had a video. very helpful. turning them by hand is not a very good idea, and neither of my forks moved up or down. the self alignment trick really works. I suggest it. So, go in the search bar on this web site and type in Fork alignment-help. there is a video in one of the posts, and its demonstrated on a Busa, but the same principle works on our bikes as well. just don't loosen the top clamps, and get some cardboard underneath the front wheel if you don't have a steel plate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and if you want to keep at stock height, then definitely make sure the forks are the same height in the top tree clamp. do that before you do the self alignment adjustment. as long as the forks have not been bent, nor been pushed closer to the radiator, then you should not have to replace the clamps. but if they are pushed closer to the radiator, clamps are not your problem, its the steering neck. Which I highly doubt that there is anything wrong with it. also, check to see if your rotors are warped, and if you have a front stand, see if you can spin your front wheel with it off the ground. if there is any wobble side to side, you could have an axle problem. But I also had a bike a long time ago, that would get bad bar shake, but that was due to a bubbled front tire. there are numerous things that can cause bad shaking.

·
Banned
486 Posts
the wheel spins straight and no the brakes work smooth

i look at my forks from the side and they both line up together

image.jpg

image.jpg

the bike goes straight when i let off the bars when i turn it turns both ways equally and smooth

just at high speeds like 110 and up it creates a head shake and just gets worse with speed

·
Registered
987 Posts
Front wheel looks a little off .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've noticed that there is a bat in the room. Its kind of funny actually. But, jth, try the method I suggested. and yes, your front wheel is kind of off still. at least I think it is. kinda hard to tell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do the self alignment, aligning them by eye is not how you do it. that is how you ask for trouble. that's my experience. are you putting the rear in a stand when you are doing the alignment? doing it with the kickstand will also cause problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You don't need to wiggle it. Get on the bike, stand up, and put your hands on the forks/top clamps/bars(which ever allows you to put your hands to cover the center area closest to the forks), then push straight down, as if performing CPR. That's after you loosen everything south of the top clamps. I'm not sure if anything is off. It may just be the angle of the camera that makes it seem off. If you have already done as I have suggested, then it should be fine. I can't really properly diagnose it from here. There may be nothing wrong. Or you may just have an unbalanced wheel.....which is possible.

·
Banned
486 Posts
sorry for hijacking your thread, i close 1 eye and put both wheel spacers in my view then i use the head light bulb as a reference point for straightness, i then use the string method

it may be my rear wheel is not perfect, but im gonna get the shop to rebalance my front wheel

1 - 20 of 26 Posts