Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
A few years back, people were talking about them on here. Search the forum, i am sure something will come up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would not bother with a stabilizer, its a waste of money. It's not needed. Mine is a 2014 with ZX10R shock. Rear ride height is much taller now, it turns in much quicker, feel much much more twitchy. I have done 4 trackdays, with very aggressive riding and have had no issues. Spend your money on tires and trackdays instead.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I installed one one mine last year. It lasted about 6k miles and stopped providing any type of damping. After upgrading my suspension I didn't find a need for a damper any longer. Here's a good write up from Abe57 on how to install the Chinese one for cheap and look good.

·
Super Moderator
4,092 Posts
While some may not feel the need for a damper, others find a bit more confidence with a damper. Work on your suspension set up first, concentrating on "sag" so that your chassis attitude and balance are working to avoid the rear squating excessively and thus unweighting the front.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've got a chinese damper and find it useful. I'd get a bit of front end shake when caught behind semi's on the highway, the damper has helped this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a band-aid fix. Do the suspension and there's no need for a stabilizer.
Newbie MT-09 rider here. ChesterBurnet, what do you mean by "Do the suspension"? What are key words I'm googling for? Sag? Height? Preload?

I want to get my springy thingies set up for my fat lard rear cause I am getting tank slapping symptoms way too much and was thinking of damping.

Any directional advice would be most legendary!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Front cartridges and the rear shock are normally what people are normally referring to. Penske and Ohlin are the favorites, though I think there are a couple more brands out there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For suspension, I went a cheaper route with Stoltec valves, correct springs and a KTech Razor Lite shock/spring. That alone made such a huge difference in handling that I don't see a need for a damper. Getting the geometry correct is the key.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll just leave this here: After riding for 5 months now, I'm happy to say I'm no longer getting symptoms of tank slappers. I credit this to becoming comfortable with the bike and learning how to handle it. I no longer use the "Death Grip" on the handles and have been able to push my speeds up. So... I guess experience goes a long way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts