Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has already been brought up so I apologize about making another thread. Im about to trade my Gsxr-1000 in for an fz-09 when we get it at my dealership and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with Stabilizer's. I Know GPR makes one which I am considering however are there other manufacturers? I ride supermoto's and im getting this bike for a more powerful upright riding positioned bike for long ride's and fast twistie's so I will be upgrading the suspension/steering along with a few other things. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Steve,

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm sure this has already been brought up so I apologize about making another thread. Im about to trade my Gsxr-1000 in for an fz-09 when we get it at my dealership and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with Stabilizer's. I Know GPR makes one which I am considering however are there other manufacturers? I ride supermoto's and im getting this bike for a more powerful upright riding positioned bike for long ride's and fast twistie's so I will be upgrading the suspension/steering along with a few other things. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Steve,
Hey you might find that you don't need a damper for the FZ...especially for street riding. I did feel the head get a little light at times, especially when setting down a wheelie...but the bike NEVER did anything scary, and never even gave me so much as a real head shake. There are options, but I'd say ride it for a bit before deciding to drop the $$ on that mod...so many other cool things to buy instead

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate it guy's, going to look into stoltech for sure, Suspension/stabilizer is gonna be my major upgrade on this bike when I get it and I want to do it right.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was going to go a gpr stabiliser but held off as I don't want a raise in bar height

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have Scotts Dampers on two of my other bikes and really love them, I put a GPR on my 09 and I find it a little to intrusive in the early part of the stroke.

I could play with different oils in the unit but I think I will go with a Scotts in the near future, may even use the GPR mounts, they will need some work but it looks like it can be done.

10 years ago I got a phone call to say I got a new job, it was the chance of a lifetime, the next day I high sided my WR450 and broke my collar bone.

If they had not kept the position for me that crash would have been life changing.

I have put a damper on every bike since.

Even if they were $2000 I would fit one.

They are a cheep investment that will move from bike to bike when the time comes.

With a good damper you don't even know it is there but you will know when it has done it's job for you.

Reactions: Ronnie Ronsta

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I used a Scotts on my track day SV650 12ish years ago, liked it, but seems GPR is the way to go now unless you are willing to fabricate etc.

Yeah, Nick of Stoltec says he is thinking of trying lighter oil in the GPR. It has what, 20 clicks of adjustment? The highest I've heard of an 09 rider using is click 7.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used a Scotts on my track day SV650 12ish years ago, liked it, but seems GPR is the way to go now unless you are willing to fabricate etc.

Yeah, Nick of Stoltec says he is thinking of trying lighter oil in the GPR. It has what, 20 clicks of adjustment? The highest I've heard of an 09 rider using is click 7.
Yes the Scotts does work but it has zero drag in the early part of the stroke (unless needed) where the GPR can be felt.

·
Registered
277 Posts

This is true, I've never gone over 10 on the damper and you can feel it in low speed maneuvers. Not really a problem though, it's just there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi, I don't wana hijack the thread, but I never had a bike with a steering damper/stabilizer. I kinda do feel the FZ09 a little shaky between shifts in high speeds, can some one shed some light in the useful need of it to be installed, I don't wana spend money on something that won't add performance or good use to the bike. Please advise on how good/bad a steering damper is needed for this bike.

Moe

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Another example is when I come in hard on the brakes and tip it it, the front end stays true and goes exactly where I want it to go without flexing around, mid corner the bike does not want to lift on me like before, and hard on the gas at exit does not make the bike wave it's head. Also, I find that I am not weaving around the road if I look around and into my mirrors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts