Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck with retrofitting a steering stabilizer? I have seen the GPR 500 bucks is crazy! Plus it raises the bars up 3/4 of an inch. I was at the Barber motorsports museum awhile back and looked at several different set ups for stabilizers. Being that I can make just about any type mount I want in my machine shop. I was wondering what all I need to be concerned with if i go to retrofit a standard piston type stabilizer. Other than making sure the bars will turn to full lock is there really any other geometry issues to be concerned with?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with retrofitting a steering stabilizer? I have seen the GPR 500 bucks is crazy! Plus it raises the bars up 3/4 of an inch. I was at the Barber motorsports museum awhile back and looked at several different set ups for stabilizers. Being that I can make just about any type mount I want in my machine shop. I was wondering what all I need to be concerned with if i go to retrofit a standard piston type stabilizer. Other than making sure the bars will turn to full lock is there really any other geometry issues to be concerned with?
I have similar facilities and had thought about, that for an Ohlins unit I have.

One problem with bracketing is the area around the triple clamp is pretty crowded with the tank, etc.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Seems the most likely way a telescopic damper could work is behind and parallel to bars. I don't know how much time you are willing to put into it, if you were paying for your time it would make the $500 GPR look good lol.

I went with the GPR. I was putting clubmans on my 09 anyway, I like the resulting position but it is lower/more forward that most 09 owners will want.

If you do mount a telescopic please show us lots of photos. Fun to see different solutions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have Scotts dampers on two of my other bikes and a GPR on my 09, yes they do cost a few bucks but they are a life long investment,you can move them from bike to bike as the years go by.

I value my time at about $100 per hour so if I can't build one that will work as good or better in 5 hours I will buy one, I did.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont want the GPR not only because of price but also because of the rise in the bars, I just got a set of pro taper bars installed and love the riding position. And as for time thats not a concern, my dad is actually a high school machine shop teacher so if I cant whip it up quickly I just sketch it out and he will have a student draw it in CAD and have it CNC machined haha. Good real world machining practice. Every vehicle I own has some sort of custom machined piece on it, its something I enjoy doing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's a tab with a hole in it on the lower side of the frame at the base of the head stem.
Could you utilise that and a fork clamp ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts