Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont know if anyone else has experienced this but my steering feels like it has changed, i slightly turn the bars when moving slow and it seems like they just wanna travel in that direction heavier than the actual turn im trying to make... As if something is loose and gravity just kinda carries them.

Feels like the steering moves too easily when bike is not moving too.

Would this be a symptom of a loose steering head bearing? If i wanted to put spanner on bearings to tighten just a bit do i absolutely need to have front end up in the air?... I know i should loosen lower fork clamps before i put spanner wrench on to prevent binding.

My 1st bike so im not hip to standard issues that take place in bikes if it is one.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
As a new bike owner...you need to know that as little as 2 pounds of air pressure can make a bike "feel" different. Bike tires need to have the pressure checked once a week at least. I do it before every ride. Buy yourself a decent air pressure gauge and keep vigilant on tire pressure.

Reactions: mozsipahi

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the air pressure tip, i have been staying consistant with that though and i double checked it and its good.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't know if is related to what you are feeling, but as tires wear their shape, "profile" changes and that can change how the handling feels.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
If the 09 has the standard ball bearing type head bearing, which I assume they would have, it could be a sign of that. Any wobbles during riding?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Did you adjust the chain recently? Did you rely on the notches in the swingarm to align the rea axle? The notches on my swingarm are off about 1 whole notch and it definitely affects steering feel.

Next up is how many miles are on your rear tire? Is it squaring off so that it is flat in the middle?

Have you made any suspension adjustments? Lowering the front or raising the rear can cause it. Adding preload to the rear or extending the shock length will raise the rear a little. Reducing preload in the front or raising the fork tubes up in the triple clamps will lower the front end.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There arent any wobbles, the steering seems to slide smoothly side to side, i have not adjusted chain as every time i checked travel it was good... I am sitting at about 3500 miles... Tread on both wheels look good... No cupping, tread is deep, looks to be in same shape, have not changed anything since i preset a few things 2k miles ago... I didnt ride bike for a few days because of terrible weather, noticed it when i went for ride last night.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sounds a bit odd to me. Like your geometry has changed. As perviously suggested perhaps your head bearings have loosened up some? I know that is one of the items my dealer would be checking on service.

If you have already inspected the entire bike, all front end bolts, hight of forks etc, and you are still feeling this condition I would bring it in for service.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can you lift the front off the ground with a jack or something, make sure you don't damage anything, use a a block of wood or something on the jack head under the sump or a head stem front stand would be better.

Once you get the weight off the front tire check and see if there's any movement by jiggling the forks or handle bars gently, it will be obvious if there's play there.

Otherwise just take it to the dealer and get them to check it. It won't take a minute and you'll be able to cross it off your list of reasons.

Sometimes when the head stem is loose or the bearings are shot the bike will try and stand up mid corner. Sometimes you'll here a click, or tap type noise when you get on the brakes too.

Around here there's a particular road that makes me think I have a flat tire, it's the surface of the road, once I'm off that part of road it feels fine again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So this is so weird, the suspensions front forks were at the softest position yesterday and I know I didn't put them that way and it can't happen on its own. Wtf?

Did someone intentionally loosen my forks?
I can't figure this out?
Any ideas how the forks could have gotten loose on their own ( the preload was all the way out (5 rings)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Someone could have been messing with your bike, just as a joke.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, scary. No one but you has ridden your bike recently? Have you left it anywhere for lengthy periods of time? What a nightmare. I'm sure u'd like to know if it happened on it's own or if someone was messing with it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Set from the factory, there are 6 rings showing, where was yours set at before you noticed it didn't feel right. Highly unlikely that they could loosen on their own, there's a bit of pressure required to turn the hex, so they most likely didn't back out on their own. The rebound screw on the other hand turn super easy...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It has been consistent since this happened... I never bought a brand new bike before so it appears as though it just broke in, if steering head bearings did loosen, it hasn't gotten and worse or negatively effected riding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts