Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrecked about a few months ago and have got the bike back up and running. While riding today, I noticed that there was some slack when wheeling in the triple clamp ara. I made sure all the nuts and bolts were tight but it's still there. It has a very slight movement where my finger is in the picture when I hold the front brake and move the bike back and forth. Does anyone know what may have been damaged for it to do that and is it something major to fix? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wrecked about a few months ago and have got the bike back up and running. While riding today, I noticed that there was some slack when wheeling in the triple clamp ara. I made sure all the nuts and bolts were tight but it's still there. It has a very slight movement where my finger is in the picture when I hold the front brake and move the bike back and forth. Does anyone know what may have been damaged for it to do that and is it something major to fix? Thanks View attachment 157346
Check with Yamaha, this may be part of a recall on the lower triple tree.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked and there is nothing for this. I do know that the bike did flip back and landed on the front end so it did take a big hit. I didn't know if it may be common for the bearings in there to get smashed and cause some movement that would just need to be replaced or something.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Or worse, the steering head of the frame is cracked. Seems like only way to tell is replace the bearings (better with tapered roller bearings anyway).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Most likely a damaged piece in there or you have to tighten them back up to spec. Mine would vibrated and thunk around going over bumpy pavement and coming to a stop. It was super loose when I took the top cap off and turned it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see anything cracked but it also could be where I cant see it. does anyone know if the head bearings are easy to replace or is it just better to get that done?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If in doubt, take it to a dealer. Don't ask the internet, they can't look at it for you. At least take it apart your self and see what you did on your stunting accident. It may just show its ugly face or re-grease and reassemble properly.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't see anything cracked but it also could be where I cant see it. does anyone know if the head bearings are easy to replace or is it just better to get that done?
If there's movement in there as you describe, something is wrong. When a bike flips like that, you can definitely have some damage. You need to get it to a qualified mechanic, because this isn't something you can easily fix if you don't know exactly what you're doing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
How tweaked was the front end? I’m guessing at the very least, you loosened everything on the front end (pinch bolts, stem nut), realigned, and tightened everything back up? Did you tighten everything back up in sequence and torque to spec?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts