Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've got a slight tick or clunk when I am pushing the bike around in the garage and use the front brake to stop and change directions. Does that sound like a loose steering head bearing, and if so has anyone tightened theirs? Can you do it yourself or is that a dealer job? If I do go to the dealer, I am prepared with my "no, I have not wheelied this bike at all, why would you ask that?" :cool:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey I've got a slight tick or clunk when I am pushing the bike around in the garage and use the front brake to stop and change directions. Does that sound like a loose steering head bearing, and if so has anyone tightened theirs? Can you do it yourself or is that a dealer job? If I do go to the dealer, I am prepared with my "no, I have not wheelied this bike at all, why would you ask that?" :cool:
It is funny that you post this today as I was just chasing down the same noise before my ride this morning. My first thought was the steering bearing but that turned out to be fine. After a bit of searching around (with the aide of a second set of hands) I finally found the culprit; it was the floating brake rotors. In my case, there is a bit of slop in the rivets holding the outer ring to the inner. As I rock back and forth with the brake applied, you can watch the outer ring move with respect to the inner ring. Not really an "issue" but it sure is annoying. Never experienced this on any other bike; anyone else have the same thing?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is funny that you post this today as I was just chasing down the same noise before my ride this morning. My first thought was the steering bearing but that turned out to be fine. After a bit of searching around (with the aide of a second set of hands) I finally found the culprit; it was the floating brake rotors. In my case, there is a bit of slop in the rivets holding the outer ring to the inner. As I rock back and forth with the brake applied, you can watch the outer ring move with respect to the inner ring. Not really an "issue" but it sure is annoying. Never experienced this on any other bike; anyone else have the same thing?
Thanks, I will check for that. PS , check out this youtube vid on bearing replacement, very interesting actually. If you skip to 3.00 minutes, he talks about testing for loose vs worn bearings.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have the same noise and always have. checked the steering bearing and some other bits and couldn't find anything "wrong" ... and nothing ever fell off (lol), so I chalked it up as normal.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's one of the great things about this bike. If I spent 15-20K on a Super Duke 1290 or a BMW 1000R I would be as nervous as a nun in a cucumber patch. But with the $8K Yammy, it's run the hell out of it, throw it against the garage wall when you are done and repeat. :cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, learning to pack grease into bearings has multiple uses in life :p

PS Honda PC was that you in the youtube vid with the Pacific Coast and Goldwing? Great vid as well if so....

That Pacific Coast was a unique and cool ride.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I loved all three of my PC 800's. That clunking noise is the floating rotors, No need at all to be concerned with steering head bearings. BTW ,..it was nice to meet you on top of the "hill".

Reactions: bigweb2001

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I loved all three of my PC 800's. That clunking noise is the floating rotors, No need at all to be concerned with steering head bearings. BTW ,..it was nice to meet you on top of the "hill".
Hey CD, it was great to meet you as well, you have post some pics of your 07 with Akrapovic, looks amazing. Will be up on Blood mountain early tomorrow if you are out.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hey CD, it was great to meet you as well, you have post some pics of your 07 with Akrapovic, looks amazing. Will be up on Blood mountain early tomorrow if you are out.
Thanks but I won't be out tomorrow on the bike. It's our anniversary day and she asked me to take her to the WORLD OF COKE downtown. :crushed:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, learning to pack grease into bearings has multiple uses in life :p

PS Honda PC was that you in the youtube vid with the Pacific Coast and Goldwing? Great vid as well if so....

That Pacific Coast was a unique and cool ride.
No...that wasn't me on youtube.... but I used to have a 89 pc800 pearl white... I loved it for what it was, great commuter, tourer, practical bike and basically no maintenance.... I got comments no matter where I went....basically it was...what is that??? lol I sold it off and have went on to 87 goldwing 1200....now have bandit 1250...current bike....talk about power.... but my favorite bike is the honda hawk gt which I own and its a very unique cult bike.....
yes... I do like unique bike....... been dreaming about the SUZUKI RECURSION....hopefully they will make one...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roger that, I watched this video and since you mentioned a PC I thought it was you (He's got ah PC and a Wing). My ultimate rare bike would be the Britten 1000:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts