Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if i spelled it wrong never quite sure how to lol

anyway not sure if its because my other bike is an r1 and im just not used to it but my 09 gets a bit of a head shake when accelerating hard. Its never gotten to a tank slapper but its certainly not confident inspiring. Is this something with my bike I need to figure out or do i just need to get used to it or buy a steering dampner. I raced a 99 r6 for almost a full season without a sterring dampner but that was a while ago so maybe I just need to grow a sack

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Check out the supporting vender Stoltec Moto

He has both great suspension stuff for the 09 and is a dealer for the GPR stabilizer, the only brand I know of that has a damper for the 09.

I did the shock, fork, and GPR all at the same time so I can't give separate reports on them, and I'm relearning how to ride anyway. I think a lot of the fronts tendency to shake on the gas is the stock suspension, upgrade that and it vastly reduces the times that the front is barely touching the ground. So unless you are sure you want it all, do the suspension first and then see if you still want the damper.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I don't have the GPR but if I keep doing track day It will get on my list. Fixing the rear shock / proper suspension setting fix 80% of it. Get with Nick and see what option work best for you. Steering damper won't be the fist on the list IMO but should eventually be necessary depending what you use your bike for.

·
Vendor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys ill start with setting the supsension, then upgrading it

Ive read about the zx6 and zx10 shock swap, is there a difference between the two, seems like a very cost effective upgrade

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
thanks guys ill start with setting the supsension, then upgrading it

Ive read about the zx6 and zx10 shock swap, is there a difference between the two, seems like a very cost effective upgrade
ZX6RR is the best, if you can find one. I use the ZX-10 with Nick's revalve front end and springs. The rear Penskee might be better... if money is right maybe one day?

The Kawi shocks are a bit over damp but with the adjuster all open mine work fine for me. I'm just using a slightly softer spring.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
perhaps your to heavy on the bars?

Try riding with arms looser and see if it still shakes. also, if your leaned forward like on r1 but using your legs and stomach to hold you up its easier to keep your arms loose.

but like the others said, a steering stabilizer should have lower priority. I would suggest re-mapping your throttle in the ECU, search 'ECU Flash' first, then your suspension.

Focus your upgrades on the weaker features of the bike. Then look for performance upgrades.

·
Vendor
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
perhaps your to heavy on the bars?

Try riding with arms looser and see if it still shakes. also, if your leaned forward like on r1 but using your legs and stomach to hold you up its easier to keep your arms loose.

but like the others said, a steering stabilizer should have lower priority. I would suggest re-mapping your throttle in the ECU, search 'ECU Flash' first, then your suspension.

Focus your upgrades on the weaker features of the bike. Then look for performance upgrades.
thanks, I always do elbow checks but ill make sure im loose on the bike when im twisting the fun handle

ive already flashed the ecu and am working on different throttle maps, ive made a 3/4 turn one that is a blast and really makes the bike feel like a beast. One im making as smooth as I can on and off throttle for corners. The third one is basically a slightly tweaked b mode for when my wife wants to ride it. I traded her fz6 in on the 9 so that only fair. She doesnt ride much and I dont want to ride the fz6 the fz09 I do, so that why the change.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
good to know your aware of staying loose. have you tried elbow checks while leaned over? Its probably the last thing people think to do while in the middle of a turn, but it helps.

Sounds like your on top of the ECU, just keep working on it. Pretty sweet you made a special map for your wife.

If your loose and still feel the head shake, a steering stabilizer could be in order. I usually only feel headshake when I'm leaned over on a rough looking corner and I tense up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts