Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick search of the forum yielded no results so I guess I'll pose the question, has anyone installed, considered installing, or is currently developing a steering damper for the FZ-09? With as "light" as the front end tends to get on this bike under heavy throttle a damper seems like kind of a no brainer upgrade. Thoughts?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had a GSX1100G that ate shocks. After 6 months of hard riding it would do that when leaned over hard, but stop as soon as I would let off the gas or straighten up. Loved the bike, hated doing the hula... I got tired of buying replacement shocks and traded it for a Bandit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i looked into it, nothing out yet specifically for the bike. there are some kits that look close but its an expensive gamble for a good one (ie GPR).

·
Registered
877 Posts
One problem with getting a steering dampener on an FZ 09

is the usual area is crowded with the front of the tank and the fake scoops.

Reactions: nickv09

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
A quick search of the forum yielded no results so I guess I'll pose the question, has anyone installed, considered installing, or is currently developing a steering damper for the FZ-09? With as "light" as the front end tends to get on this bike under heavy throttle a damper seems like kind of a no brainer upgrade. Thoughts?
Problem is solved with suspension upgrades and especially adjustment. Loose the rear squat and you don't get the wobbles while accelerating. It still feels light but you don't wobble while you gave that light contact with the ground. Mine used to do that like crazy but with the new Stoltec springs and ZX-10 rear shock and proper adjustment the issue is gone. I still do wheelies but not as easily and no wobble. Bam!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have had no hint of head shake in this bike with the stock setup. I have not pushed it hard on the track however. I have had head shake on other bikes that were fixed by either replacing/setting correct torque on steering head bearings and more commonly, poor alignment of the front and rear wheels. Interesting video.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not had any head shake issues either I just dont care to have the first indication of head shake be a tank slapper at 100+ MPH. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
My buddy has a '13 Ultra Classic and drags the exhaust making sparks all over the road! I've never seen his bike wobble or shake like the ones in the video. Rider experience maybe? Horrle wide lines getting into the marbles?

·
Registered
418 Posts
i will be looking for one soon. dont want this to happen:
That's what happens when you're dying for attention doing wheelies on pubic roads! Look at me, look at me I have a bike and I'm cool!!!! I have no pity for the morons/squids that do that nonsense where it DOES NOT belong.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
877 Posts
This is how it's done on a 1931 Harley. :cool:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I saw a picture of a modded bike to showcase products somewhere recently that had bar rizers and a GPR low profile underneath. I will try to find it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts