Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently in the market for a steering damper/stabilizer for my 09, and after some extensive research on this forum have found quite a few options. I am looking for something cost effective yet still fully functional, but will still entertain all options! I would like to be able to see what all people have DIY'd and what my options could be if I chose to go that direction. I know all of this information is available throughout the forum but I could not find one centralized thread.

So far I have found:

GPR - $500+ Pro: GPR duh Con: raises handlebars, cost
Dimotiv - $220 Pro: Price Con: doesn't come with damper
Matris - $600 Pro:does not require handlebar height change Con: Price
DIY - $??? Pro:Cost Con: Labor, Quality

·
Registered
657 Posts
There are some good threads on the DIY option on here ... I am running the GPR V4 - it's an awesome stabilizer, but I agree the price is nuts. If you are doing mostly street riding, I would explore one of the eBay dampers with the DIY brackets for the fork. if you are racing or doing some type of aggressive functional riding, perhaps it would be worth the extra for a GPR or Matris... good luck.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am planning on getting the GPR unit at some point. I will decide in the spring after I test my Ohlins set-up. I hear it only raises the bar a little.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts

We've sold a pretty good amount of the GPR Dampers for the FZ09 ... and nothing but positive feedback.

No one seems to mind the slight increase in height.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Maybe it's just my experience but I have really never felt it was needed on this bike. I ride the piss out of it too... I want a GPR, but won't do an ebay one because it looks a little busy underneath.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
There's a lot of good options out there. The GPR is pricey, but the quality is top notch and the adjustment is easily accessible from the saddle while moving. If that matters to you. Personally, I don't enjoy riding non-damper'd FZ-09's. The extra bit of stability is very welcome in many circumstances.

Pricing, unfortunately, is high and doesn't stack up well against the Chinese options. That said, we do offer the lowest pricing allowable by GPR...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Always get the best you can afford ... if you can manage it, get a GPR, if you can't, even a China damper is better than nothing..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Always get the best you can afford ... if you can manage it, get a GPR, if you can't, even a China damper is better than nothing..
GPR is in the budget I'm just curious if anyone has tested the Chinese version of the dimotiv. You can get the bracket and a damper for less than $100 shipped. I find the price difference to be insane.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm willing to try it, for $90...

My EBay levers are awesome.
The EBay chain adjusters, are reported to be awesome.

Both are much less costly than thier brand name counterparts. But they perform just as well.

I will give it a whirl.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm willing to try it, for $90...

My EBay levers are awesome.
The EBay chain adjusters, are reported to be awesome.

Both are much less costly than thier brand name counterparts. But they perform just as well.

I will give it a whirl.
That's how I feel, for $90 might as well give it a try. Let us know what you think of it after you receive it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a HyperPro RSC on my Honda; love that Damper. It's the only one on the market where you set the base resistance and the damper will automatically stiffen if you get in a head shake....

HyperPro does not sell a mount for the Fz09 or Mt09. The dimotiv mount has the option to fit the HyperPro. The damper is a little spendy; but is the best on the market IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts