Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can find on a search is the GPR V4. Is this the only one currently available for the 09? I had a hell of a shake last night after bringing the front wheel down. I think I'm ready to invest in one as my first modification for the bike.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Contact Nick at Stoltec... he has all answer to all problem. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Stoltec is a great company and if you think you need a steering damper he's got your best option. But for a street bike, I gotta say that you may not need every gizmo available to the moto gp riders. If you want it and you have the money and it makes you happy great! But I wonder a bit at the desire to spend huge money on upgrades to a pretty good street bike. Suspension could be better and I am upgrading mine but i am concerned at what I see as a kind of a spend money to make me a better rider attitude that I see on the forum. I ride mine pretty hard on the street but I have not seen the need for a damper. Front end is light, but bike is fine without a damper. But I gotta say that the intense need by some to spend thousands right away is a bit odd to me ( I am a cheap old bastard). You don't have to do that. Unless it floats your boat. Flame away boys and girls.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I ride hard and the damper works well in several areas. Wheelie setdowns, check, holding line in every single circumstance, turns, decreasing, bumpy, etc. The bike feels much more planted. The bike does not move all over the road on me any more. I owned a CBR954RR for twelve years, a bike that many people said needed a stabilizer. I didn't need one on it, but the FZ is a bucking Bronco compared to that bike.

With all of that being said, I did sort the suspension first.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't understand the need for a steering damper as it seems to solve a problem that is caused by the stock suspension so it makes more sense to me to fix the suspension than cover up the problem.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't think every 09 rider needs a damper, depends how you ride it etc. I didn't use one on my street SV650, for my track SV I had one as precaution. I'm not into big wheelies, but the the 09 has 50% more HP than the SV and and I love to use as much of the acceleration as I can as often as conditions permit, so there will be a lot of times the front is barely on the ground, or floating a bit. Plus rough roads, a bit of lean... The GPR is already on my 09 lol.

Basically there are 2 rotary damper companies, Scotts and GPR. Doesn't look like Scotts will make a kit for the 09 and it seems GPR might be a bit more advanced for pavement bikes anyway. A lot of companies make telescopic dampers but I haven't heard of one with a kit for the 09.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/31-stoltec-moto/1929-gpr-steering-stabilizer-group-buy.html

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't understand the need for a steering damper as it seems to solve a problem that is caused by the stock suspension so it makes more sense to me to fix the suspension than cover up the problem.
Yes, take care of the suspension first, and then see if you still want/need a damper. Even a perfectly set up bike can have head shake in some situations. So if you are prone to getting into those situations...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
IMO... the seat! Sound stupid but on accel I use to hang off the handlebars and make the front of the bike unstable. Now that my seat is shape properly and my butt don't slide back... no more issue. Even on the speed limiter. Steering damper is a good add on... but not a baid aid.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Right Marthy, that is another thing to do right before getting a damper, good riding technique, light on the bars etc. But again, you can still get into head shake situations.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree that the stock suspension is a pogo ride particularly on bumpy roads. It needs help if you ride hard.

·
Registered
393 Posts
IMO... the seat! Sound stupid but on accel I use to hang off the handlebars and make the front of the bike unstable. Now that my seat is shape properly and my butt don't slide back... no more issue. Even on the speed limiter. Steering damper is a good add on... but not a baid aid.

Tank grips will also help, you're legs will be locked to the bike more meaning you're grip on the bars can be lighter, meaning the front wheel can track itself more easily, find it's own way and stabilize itself.

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Tank grips will also help, you're legs will be locked to the bike more meaning you're grip on the bars can be lighter, meaning the front wheel can track itself more easily, find it's own way and stabilize itself.
I was just going to say, "Has anyone ever heard of squeezing the tank with their knees to keep weight off the bars?"... But I will certainly argue the need for a damper. There are lots of people who think steering dampers are a waste of money, and a band-aid for poor riding skills. I call BS. A damper is a very inexpensive way to protect against tank slappers. The 09 is so wheelie prone that I'd say a damper is a must. Yes, it's more raked out than a sport bike, and that's likely why more of us haven't had really nasty tank slappers, but it's still very easy to roll on the power and float the front wheel coming out of a bumpy corner and set it off. For the 09 it seems that getting more weight on the front is the way to make it more stable, which decreases rake angle, which will make the bike more prone to head shakes. So it's a bit of a contradicting setup problem. Dampers are good. I'm sure they've saved my ass more times than I know.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was just going to say, "Has anyone ever heard of squeezing the tank with their knees to keep weight off the bars?"... But I will certainly argue the need for a damper. There are lots of people who think steering dampers are a waste of money, and a band-aid for poor riding skills. I call BS. A damper is a very inexpensive way to protect against tank slappers. The 09 is so wheelie prone that I'd say a damper is a must. Yes, it's more raked out than a sport bike, and that's likely why more of us haven't had really nasty tank slappers, but it's still very easy to roll on the power and float the front wheel coming out of a bumpy corner and set it off. For the 09 it seems that getting more weight on the front is the way to make it more stable, which decreases rake angle, which will make the bike more prone to head shakes. So it's a bit of a contradicting setup problem. Dampers are good. I'm sure they've saved my ass more times than I know.
Agreed, a damper won't hamper the 09's performance at all, all it'll do is help out when needed. Whether its needed or not on this particular bike is down to rider preference.

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could someone provide their experience with using the GPR with the stock handlebars? Do you notice the extra 3/4" rise or the 10mm further reach?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Don't forget you can always rotate your bars slightly to compensate for the change in clamp position (I don't have the GPR yet), but that will also change the bar angle.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Contact Nick at Stoltec... he has all answer to all problem. :)
Stoltec is a great company and if you think you need a steering damper he's got your best option.
You guys are too kind.

A lot of the 'need' comes down to riding style and road conditions. Honestly, even on the track, you won't need one until you get up over 115 mph, and only then if you have the geometry set for quick steering. That said, it does make the ride calmer at all speeds. It's hard to describe in words, but it just feels planted. Not that kind of planted that leaves the bike feeling sluggish and slow to turn, but the kind of planted that increases confidence. It's one of those things that you try after the fact and say "Huh, I guess it does help". Kinda like after the first ride you took with ear plugs in. Easier to focus, less distraction.

Now the track aside, it helps on roads with a lot of surface undulation. In the northeast, a lot of our good roads are little more than old goat paths that were paved. Most are tar and chip, and there are many instances where the road crests in a few short feet. Wheelies are almost unavoidable, and in some cases, both wheels are in the air. We're not talking about break-neck speeds, either. The stabilizer takes most of the drama out of those situations.

Think of the stabilizer as the icing on the cake. The suspension is the cake.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts