Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding into work this morning, lane splitting like always, I got cut off and nearly crashed. In California, lane splitting / sharing / filtering is legal when done safely. I don't override, and get passed all the time by more reckless riders, but you just can't anticipate other people's sheer stupidity sometimes. A Prius driver decided to cut across a double yellow and solid white line to enter the carpool lane without signaling or checking his mirrors. I saw the car decide to cut out and immediately locked up my rear brake and gripped the front. I'm glad I didn't get a GoPro yet because I must have made the most awkward terrible noise since I had decided I was about to impact this *******'s car. Inches. I stopped inches behind him. The R1 I didn't see stopped about a foot behind me after panic braking. The old fawk in the Prius probably didn't even check for me and certainly wasn't bothered as I was frothing at the mouth and losing my shit beside him, so I rode on. Now I'm sitting at my desk trembling.

Ride safe. Keep the rubber side down. Anticipate the worst at all times. Make it home alive. Please.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Yikes! Glad to hear you made the save.
Nutz out there.

Reactions: nychopshop

·
Registered
154 Posts
Careful man, I ended up on the bad side of that, and I wasn't even splitting.

I'm done commuting for a while...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It's impossible to ride too defensively while sharing the road in traffic. It's an excercise in survival, nothing more and nothing less.

Riding in traffic is NOT the time to enjoy your bike and have Fun.:cool:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I left at 6 a.m. this morning not thinking twice about the weather as I rode yesterday in with temps right around freezing. Didn't take long to realize that we had over night frost (moisture) and black roads had a nice shine to them. Once onto the HOV all was good with lots of cars warming up the roadway, but once I hit the city I could see the ice crystals on the sidewalks and roadway. Took my time around the turns to be safe and no slips. Thank my new Pilot Sport 4 tires for making the trip safer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Your story ended much more... violently... than mine did. Not that I wasn't inspired to remove this guys side view mirror, but the bike behind me was encouragement enough to head off down the road. I hope you recover soon from your run in with one of the more scumbagish assholes I've heard of driving around.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your story ended much more... violently... than mine did. Not that I wasn't inspired to remove this guys side view mirror, but the bike behind me was encouragement enough to head off down the road. I hope you recover soon from your run in with one of the more scumbagish assholes I've heard of driving around.
Thanks!

I am back walking again, sometimes I use a cane to make it easier. But yeah, I've been riding now for 14 years and I've never experienced anything like this before (and hopefully never again). But here in SoCal, we get all the rejects from every other state, who bring all their BS, not to mention all the homegrown idiots, so we as motorcyclists have to be hyper-hyper vigilant about our surroundings.

And I guess now in this world we live in, people so enraged that they feel it acceptable and necessary to try and kill motorcyclists who don't do what they want...

So, as you wrote, stay safe!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, the story is similar to how I lost my Ninja 300 last year and I am looking to get back into commuting with the FZ however I have noticed that more and more drivers are not checking behind, using signals, nor having headlights on in the dark. I can probably count at least 10+ cars each morning/night on my commute without headlights...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, the story is similar to how I lost my Ninja 300 last year and I am looking to get back into commuting with the FZ however I have noticed that more and more drivers are not checking behind, using signals, nor having headlights on in the dark. I can probably count at least 10+ cars each morning/night on my commute without headlights...

Unfortunately, it seems most have adopted a real F*** you mentality in the past several years. This is not good.:(

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Ye ole double line crossing.. I see it all the time when lane splitting and even on the streets. Totaled a bike once because of it to.

Whenever I lane split here in L.A. in heavy traffic, I always throw my hazard lights on, ESPECIALLY at night. I figure its a good way to mimic the LEO's on bikes, My goal is not to mimic them per se, however when I'm driving they look like christmas trees in my mirrors. So, i figure when lane splitting the more flashing lights I can throw down the road the more visible I am.

Believe it or not, I have less close calls with this method and more drivers who move over to give me room. If anyone knows any laws for this i'm all ears.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
however I have noticed that more and more drivers are not checking behind, using signals, nor having headlights on in the dark. I can probably count at least 10+ cars each morning/night on my commute without headlights...

+1 I see this every day I drive or ride.. its a jungle out there and its gotten worse over the years.

In Germany, people take driving more seriously, those who can't take it seriously get no drivers licenses. :confused:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ye ole double line crossing.. I see it all the time when lane splitting and even on the streets. Totaled a bike once because of it to.

Whenever I lane split here in L.A. in heavy traffic, I always throw my hazard lights on, ESPECIALLY at night. I figure its a good way to mimic the LEO's on bikes, My goal is not to mimic them per se, however when I'm driving they look like christmas trees in my mirrors. So, i figure when lane splitting the more flashing lights I can throw down the road the more visible I am.

Believe it or not, I have less close calls with this method and more drivers who move over to give me room. If anyone knows any laws for this i'm all ears.
Not sure on the laws, but after reading this, I will being doing this from now on. I'll take a ticket, it's cheaper than my deductible.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I've seen some CHPs that split with their hazards on. Some don't.

I think MCs using a headlight modulator work best when I'm commuting in the truck IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Me too. I always run with my flashers on, and I'm getting a strobe module and lights to put inside the fake air ducts on my tank so people in front take me a bit more seriously. I'm just trying to figure out exactly how many lights I'm doing this with and where the rest are going before I start drilling holes or running wires. Today (as always) I was running my flashers, I was doing about 35, and I was taking it easy. If I had come around the corner and the driver was already making the illegal turn then I could have stopped easily. He decided well within my safety envelope and within eyeshot to just have a go yanking left on his wheel and see how it turned out for everyone else.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unfortunately, it seems most have adopted a real F*** you mentality in the past several years. This is not good.:(
Welcome to California, in particularly Los Angeles where everyone will do whatever they can to get ahead of the game. Once you get about 1-2 hours out of LA it's a whole different world, in a nice way. People will let you lane split, or move over to the right lane to let you pass and remember that you are another human being just like them.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Me too. I always run with my flashers on, and I'm getting a strobe module and lights to put inside the fake air ducts on my tank so people in front take me a bit more seriously. I'm just trying to figure out exactly how many lights I'm doing this with and where the rest are going before I start drilling holes or running wires. Today (as always) I was running my flashers, I was doing about 35, and I was taking it easy. If I had come around the corner and the driver was already making the illegal turn then I could have stopped easily. He decided well within my safety envelope and within eyeshot to just have a go yanking left on his wheel and see how it turned out for everyone else.
The strobe is a fantastic Idea, the hazard lights are a more subtle solution by comparison, but I do have one concern with the strobe light. I don't recall the details, but I remember a time when people started installing strobes into their car headlights, then I remember hearing that if your seen using them on the road its illegal because its very close to impersonating a LEO. Hazard lights are one thing, but strobe lights are a bit more 'Emergency' style. Granted, in a traffic jam who's going to stop you when your splitting lanes? Your only risk is a parked LEO with a pen handy or camera running or being spotted by a MC LEO.

I simply do not know the laws on this stuff too well, I could be wrong about the whole thing but IMO the hazard lights is the lesser of two evils. IF i ever get stopped for doing this, I will ask for clarification. Until then, hazards lights for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The strobe is a fantastic Idea, the hazard lights are a more subtle solution by comparison, but I do have one concern with the strobe light. I don't recall the details, but I remember a time when people started installing strobes into their car headlights, then I remember hearing that if your seen using them on the road its illegal because its very close to impersonating a LEO. Hazard lights are one thing, but strobe lights are a bit more 'Emergency' style. Granted, in a traffic jam who's going to stop you when your splitting lanes? Your only risk is a parked LEO with a pen handy or camera running or being spotted by a MC LEO.

I simply do not know the laws on this stuff too well, I could be wrong about the whole thing but IMO the hazard lights is the lesser of two evils. IF i ever get stopped for doing this, I will ask for clarification. Until then, hazards lights for me.
I wouldn't put blue flashers on my bike... but I've ridden in front of and behind bikers with front strobes and strobing brake lights. That's basically where I'm at. Hell, in some places school buses run strobe flashers. The grey-area of legality means I won't be adding extra visible lamps for the purpose. I'll use the lamps I already have or hide them underneath the mesh grill of the vents. If they're off, nobody can really tell that they're there. I wouldn't run the strobes when I'm following a CHP bike, but I would damn near any other time. I'll take my chances with a ticket way before I take my chances with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Me too man. Just in the carpool lane, no splitting and out of nowhere BAM a Toyota SUV that was stopped, jumps in my lane feet in front of me when I was going 55-60mph...Almost lost a foot that day..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts