Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Quickshifter is installed and tested and lovely.

The only downside was the ballache getting it installed which meant removing the footrest (which i've now marked !!!) i couldn't get the bolt holding the footrest off as it was about 4000Nm. That aside the QS works really nicely and smooth as silk !

2020-06-25_11-35-03 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

·
Vendor
2,298 Posts
Cool beans, dude!

Is this the first mod on your 9? If so, why did you choose the the QS to start with?

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
81 Posts
Probably because it should be one of the easiest to install.

Edit to reflect the OP's actual experience.

Reactions: shamrock

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Wrong thread. This should go in the "what did you do to your bike today" section.

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
81 Posts
Wrong thread. This should go in the "what did you do to your bike today" section.
? Who are you addressing? This reads like the beginning of a build thread, no?

Reactions: shamrock

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
The OPs quickshifter is great. As are LED turn signals, bar end mirrors and a jillion other farkles but that stuff really isn't "a build".
To me a build involves real modifications like Coltons stunt bike, Truckinducs Ducati swingarm, adding a turbo and other projects in the thread that involve fabricating and adapting parts from other bikes.
Take a few minutes and go back through the build threads and you can see some very cool mods by some talented builders.
For example, my 2014 FZ09 has a bunch of modifications and farkles but in no way can I consider it to be "a build".

Reactions: JM00JM and Keef

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably because it should be one of the easiest to install.

Edit to reflect the OP's actual experience.
It wasn't exactly tricky, just access to the clutch side peg bolt meant that had to come off to fit the QS.

Why was it first, well, it's one of the cheaper options, along with one of the most useful ones for riding on track, which is where the XSR will spend some of it's life.

Todays job is removing the rubbish quality black headers and replacing. I spent countless hours debating what way to go on this one.
headers by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Basically a standard system. I don't need more noise, i don't really care about dropping a few KG, it was purely because of the corrosion and the fact this black paint seems to chip/fall off... Some have had headers replaced by Yamaha but they'll do the same again.

2020-06-25_06-44-01 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

The Akra was £500 at mates rates, the standard system is £50. It's a bit of a no brainer to me. As much as i like spending my money sometimes, i don't want to waste it as such, so it just makes sense.

AS for it being in the right or wrong section, if you fellas want to move it to somewhere else then crack on, i don't really care where it resides. If it were my forum, which this one is, revtothelimit - Index page then i'd be happy with it either in he projects or the motorbike forum. But it's your playground, you decide where it's best suited to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2020-06-27_01-47-39 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

We then had a box arrive from the guys at Powerbronze.
2020-06-27_01-47-48 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
As you may recall, i'm rarely a fan of screens, but they do have their uses at times.
The kit is nicely made, but if i'm being picky, the instructions are blurred and unclear (especially things like where the rubber washers go inside or outside the screen. I ended up inside, between the screen and the bracket.
Apart from that it's all good. Screen is adjustable, i've got it on the lowest/down position as i prefer the looks.
if you ask me, unlike most screens, this actually seems to make the bike look better !!!
2020-06-27_01-47-59 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
2020-06-27_01-48-10 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
2020-06-27_01-48-17 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So yesterday i was sitting there with a few free hours(along with my abba stand and an improvised fitting kit)... and i needed them, but removing the bottom dogbone was indeed key to the process for me. I won't say that makes it easy as some of these mounts etc are just so inaccessible it's not even funny, especially when you drop the bolt/washer 4000 times and have to fish it out of the top of the engine where it dropped.

I got it to the stage last night where i just needed to tighten a few bolts and i was done.

That is, until about 5am i woke up and thought "I can't tighten that lower shock mount as i've already done up all the others and with the top bolt in, i can't get it to slide... but i can't get it unless the dogbone is off too. So 7am i jumped on it again, whipped everything out, tightened the lower mount and was pleased to find it WAS loose, if i'd taken all that out and worked out i'd already sorted it, i'd have been proper moody.
Then had the battle with the top mount and the dogbones, but eventually (only 35 mins actually)

I tell you now, it's going to have to be REALLY rubbish to persuade me to take it back out and fit the standard shock !!!

2020-06-29_07-49-18 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2020-06-29_07-49-08 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best mod so far. (y)
Well you say that.... but.
i was sitting on the bike, then thinking, then sitting, then thinking, then a quick test on local lanes and then back.

The sag was measured at about 6mm, which is in the right ballpark for where i was thinking. I then also measured the actual height from a bracket to the floor, there was a logic and a reason for this, on the test ride i noticed it was a fair bit harder to get into some corners, a bit sluggish to respond. The measurement was 803mm. The reason i was questioning this was because when i sat on the bike in the garage i thought "i'm sure the bike was taller when pushing it around the garage"

I then removed the Nitron, refitted the standard shock and that same measured point is closer to 820mm.

With both shocks on the bench, the length of the shock is about 6mm longer, but clearly the fitted length is even more than that.

The bike was then tested again with the standard shock in and you can feel the damping is better in the Nitron as it's softer and nicer over some of the bumps, but from a handling perspective i much much prefer the standard Yam item. Now the Nitron does seem to have some length adjustment, but in honesty, i'm more than happy with the stock item, so the Nitron has been listed on Ebay and will be sold.

It's been an intresting 24 hours and my hands are covered in cuts and bruises from some of the ridiculous angles you need to bend, stretch, push and pull to get nuts and bolts in.
I'm wondering if XSR and MT09 shocks are different lengths ? So maybe i'd need an XSR specific Nitron instead of an MT-09 ?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
511 Posts
If the nitron is height adjustable you probably just need to turn the height adjuster out a bit to get it to the stock length. I know when I mounted up my ktech shock the 'fully down' height adjuster is shorter than the stock shock. I cranked mine out about 1/4" beyond what i measured the stock shock and then put it on the bike and the turn in is noticeably quicker but not twitchy. I think I might put a couple more turns (taller) on it if I take it back out again.

Reactions: Weeksy

·
Registered
221 Posts
on the test ride i noticed it was a fair bit harder to get into some corners, a bit sluggish to respond. The measurement was 803mm. The reason i was questioning this was because when i sat on the bike in the garage i thought "i'm sure the bike was taller when pushing it around the garage"

I then removed the Nitron, refitted the standard shock and that same measured point is closer to 820mm.

With both shocks on the bench, the length of the shock is about 6mm longer,

The bike was then tested again with the standard shock in and you can feel the damping is better in the Nitron as it's softer and nicer over some of the bumps, but from a handling perspective i much much prefer the standard Yam item. Now the Nitron does seem to have some length adjustment, but in honesty, i'm more than happy with the stock item, so the Nitron has been listed on Ebay and will be sold.
Yes, you would need to raise the rear ride heaght and/or lower the front. If you buy an adjustable shock and then don't want to adjust it, you cant complain about its performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, you would need to raise the rear ride heaght and/or lower the front. If you buy an adjustable shock and then don't want to adjust it, you cant complain about its performance.
I'm not complaining fella... Just making observations. I wasn't aware at the start of the test ride that it was a different length, that only came to light later.. I wasn't actually aware the length was adjustable either :) We live and we learn.

Either way, i'm more than happy with the standard shock, i know plenty of others don't like it, but it handles great for me. I'll be curious to see how it handles itself on circuit in a few weeks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a chunk of thinking last night and out on a decent length ride today over to Odiham, Alton, Basingstoke, Newbury and home i was thinking about some of the harshness on the bumps, when you hit a bump it's a bit 'ooft' at times.
What i couldn't understand is that every sod on the road wants to race at the moment. Mercedes AMG A45 (or A35) wanted to play... He was thrashed, then a bit later an Audi S3, who really gave a good showing of himself on fastish sweepers, he was making proper strong overtakes lol. But i gave him a wave and pulled away as he got caught up in traffic.

So i thought, well, we didn't really give that Nitron much of a chance in the grand scheme, once i realised it made the handling not quite right i lobbed it on Ebay. What i actually should have done was a bit more research, then spent 5 minutes setting the shock length to the exact same length as the standard shock instead of it being 6mm shorter. Now 6mm doesn't sound like much, but the rule of 3 comes into play (so i've been told anyway) and 6mm on the shock length is x3 so 18mm in rideheight at the sadlle/back end. Which is pretty much where i found it to be when measuring.

So the standard shock was pulled out again, the Nitron set to the correct length and installed. I'm getting better at the installs now as it was only 30 mins to do it instead of 3 hours !!! hahahahha.

But the Nitron is in and ready to play. It's a bit damp and showery for a test now, but it'll get done in the next day or 2 depending on the weather.

2020-06-29_07-49-18 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
511 Posts
So, does it make any difference...

Hell yes, it's great. Way nicer... Impressed
Now try adding about 6-8mm in rear height. That is what I added on my ktech shock and it is very nice. I think the recommendation I've seen before is to add 10mm, but I didn't want the handling to be too twitchy. I like it so far at +7mm, but I may try the recommended +10 and see how that is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Weeksy, which screen is that? Looks pretty good, does it actually make a difference in the wind? Also, does ti have sturdy mount points? I have a Puig that I've not mounted as it seems rather flimsy...may fabricate a bracket for it....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts