Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the bike out and when i came to a stop i pulled the clutch in and after a few seconds the bike stalled. has anyone had this happen or am i just the lucky one
??

·
Registered
196 Posts
i had mine stall once but not too worried about it. ripped 3rd gear, clutched in to coast down an exit ramp and as i went to rev match to get back into gear smoothly, i noticed the bike stalled. bump started it while rolling. i wouldn't worry unless it does it again under the same conditions.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Location? I heard the CA bikes can be temperamental with all the add'l emissions crap
I have a non Cali bike that has been hard to start, but I haven't had the chance to put miles on it that

would help with the problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live on Long Island ny so i haven't had a chance to put miles on my my baby yet. The gas came with the bike and they said it was 93 octane. The staling happen about 4 times in a 40 mile ride. If i put the bike in neutral at a stop it doesn't happen but if i leave it in gear knowing the light is going to change it stalls the restart seems to be normal. i talk to the dealer and they said for me to put some miles on the bike and if it persist bring the bike back.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Could it be caused by headers who are not fastened the right way?
I took my exhaust of to paint it, and the bolts of the mid cylinder were loose.
On the mid header there was a brown some kind of dirt, so I think it is exhaust fumes coming out.
It could be that this cylinder toke false air, and caused the stall?
When I mounted my exhaust, I fastend the bolts and started the engine.
During this 10 minutes run, I could fasten the bolt 3 more times due to the temperature.

Tomorrow, I will start it again, and check the bolts.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I live on Long Island ny so i haven't had a chance to put miles on my my baby yet. The gas came with the bike and they said it was 93 octane. The staling happen about 4 times in a 40 mile ride. If i put the bike in neutral at a stop it doesn't happen but if i leave it in gear knowing the light is going to change it stalls the restart seems to be normal. i talk to the dealer and they said for me to put some miles on the bike and if it persist bring the bike back.
Two things come to mind since it isn't doing it when in neutral - and it starts back up fine.

Is the clutch grabbing while you're idling? If you need to hold the brake on at all to keep from rolling forward - then your clutch is grabbing - and making it stall.

My next suspect would be the cutoff switch on the kickstand. It could be too sensitive - or you could be bumping the sidestand with your leg.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i was able to take her out for a little ride today and I put fresh 93 in 4 her and she seem to be fine. The clutch is grabing fine. It is posable that my leg is pulling on the kickstand and causing it to stall. when its cold outside i tend to hug the engine more :eek:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sounds like this is coupled with the "hard to start" symptom that a bunch of us seemed to suffer from. This goes away with about 300 miles in my case.

Right now, I am also running regular 87 octane rat droppings, without pinging issues. When it warms up, I may have to go with a higher grade. Putting in that expensive stuff for no reason, just makes my wheels wobble.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I was warming up the old 907IE and I saw the sticker in the tank. Not sure if it make sense? Worth keeping an eye on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
In the case of my bike, it was dry fouled plugs.

It may have been running richer with Graves pipe on it , with no Power Commander, yet.

Seemed to run ok up until it became hard to start or not start at all.

Test plugs out of the head and 2 of 3 weak or no spark.

Under compression it could have only been worse..

Dealer did not have correct plugs which are NGK 10mm thread , 9 heat range, protruding tip.

Got NGK C 8, slightly hotter plug, but electrode flush at Auto Zone.

I put the stock pipe back on and re-connected the air to exhaust plumbing, for now.

Started right up.

Will put Graves pipe back on after some miles on bike and Power Commander is in hand.

Lee's Cycle in San Diego has already done one on their dyno with Graves pipe and Power Commander,

so they now have a map on file.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I was switching from mode b to std and I hit my kill switch...I had to pull over and try to start it before I realized what I did....very embarrassing. I'm just glad the starter switch and kill switch are the same unit otherwise it may have taken longer to figure out since I never use the switch to turn the bike off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts