Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bike back from the dealer for its first break-in engine service. I didn't get to do much riding (only taking it straight home from the dealer because thunderstorms were moving in) but I felt an immediate difference as I also had them replace the front fork springs with ones I got from Nick over at Stoltec, and 7.5w oil. I now have to properly figure out the sag I should set. Before with the stock springs you just max the preload if you're over 160 or so lbs. (which I am). But now that I have springs where I actually sit in the proper weight range, gonna have to do it the "right" way. The bike definitely felt more rough over bumps the way it was set, but the front end felt more planted and the brakes seemed to respond a bit better (probably due to less front end dive). It didn't feel as "weird" to apply the brakes when going down a very steep hill.

Unfortunately, my bike also now has the dreaded CCT tick and the dealer says they can't get the part in for a few months. So, I ordered Fizzer's kit. That's gonna get installed shortly. I also have the Penske 8983 shock on order.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congrats... you are definitely NOT a Zero in putting $$ into the forks!! :cool:
I gather you decided with springs and oil vs. the shim stack or even the completed adjustable fork kit.

Now get to know the front brakes and marry her so to speak, to keep your throttle lust under control lol

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Congrats... you are definitely NOT a Zero in putting $$ into the forks!! :cool:
I gather you decided with springs and oil vs. the shim stack or even the completed adjustable fork kit.

Now get to know the front brakes and marry her so to speak, to keep your throttle lust under control lol
The front brakes and the front fork re-valve/shim stack service from Nick are in the cards, but are not priorities. I'll do them eventually, but I set a goal of things that I felt had to be done this season asap, which consisted of the front fork springs + oil, rear shock, and ECU flash. Except for the flash, everything else is already done (or at least paid for and pending), and the other lower priority things can wait until I get caught up on other, non-bike related things that are also eating away at my $$$.

EDIT: I want to say that if I had to describe how the difference "feels," now, it feels like there was something "loose" before that's "held together" now in cornering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts