Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to switch out to some SS brake lines to help increase the braking power when riding in a "spirited" manner.

What I need some help on is information/direction/real life results comparing the standard style with the cross over line from one caliper to the other - vs going with the 2 full lines.

Stoltec offers both options

14+ FZ-09 Spiegler SS Front Brake Lines | StoltecMoto

Is there much of a performance difference going with the separate full lines or does the stock crossover configuration work fine?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can give.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think it more likely that there might be a difference in how easily the lines are bled than there would be any appreciable difference in performance...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I want to switch out to some SS brake lines to help increase the braking power when riding in a "spirited" manner.

What I need some help on is information/direction/real life results comparing the standard style with the cross over line from one caliper to the other - vs going with the 2 full lines.

Stoltec offers both options

14+ FZ-09 Spiegler SS Front Brake Lines | StoltecMoto

Is there much of a performance difference going with the separate full lines or does the stock crossover configuration work fine?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can give.
I bought the Spiegler brake lines from Stoltec. I haven't installed them yet; however, installing SS lines on my R1 made a huge difference in brake lever feel and stopping power. To me, SS lines are worth the money and effort.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think it more likely that there might be a difference in how easily the lines are bled than there would be any appreciable difference in performance...
^This.

I believe the benefit of the dual line double banjo system is that both sides will allow any non-condensibles (ie air bubbles) to work their way up to the MC and escape, making them easier to bleed. With the over-the-fender set up it's easier for air to get trapped at the 'high spot' and can be more challenging to bleed properly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Honestly, if you haven't addressed the front suspension, I'd do that first. A lot of efective braking is wasted by the spongy front suspension dive. I am wanting to address this in the near future as well...

·
Super Moderator
4,383 Posts
Speaking of replacement lines...has there been anyone that added stainless lines after installing the GPR damper with bar risers?
There was some discussion earlier about the oem line being too short and I was hoping someone had determined the correct length.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Speaking of replacement lines...has there been anyone that added stainless lines after installing the GPR damper with bar risers?
There was some discussion earlier about the oem line being too short and I was hoping someone had determined the correct length.
Yes, but I think my setup may be different than most. I'm using the Buell bars with an R1 Master so the configuration required a custom end on the lines, but I used the conventional length and it worked fine with no issues.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly, if you haven't addressed the front suspension, I'd do that first. A lot of efective braking is wasted by the spongy front suspension dive. I am wanting to address this in the near future as well...
Suspension already done. Race Tech front and rear..

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've been running a "crossover" setup on my 90FJ since '01, when I installed R1 calipers and mc on it. No problems bleeding....

By minimizing the amount of tubing in the system, you minimize the mushiness caused by line swell. ANY tube WILL swell, but SS braided lines swell less than rubber..... I doubt any but a pro would be able to tell the difference between dual lines or crossover...

Reactions: MoFZio and buck
1 - 11 of 11 Posts