Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, a noob question, I wonder if this is normal.
My last 3 rides after I turned off the engine, while rolling the bike into the garage, I would hear this squeaky noise with this pattern " * -- * -- * -- ". It comes out "somewhere" around the chain area, between the mid section of bike and the rear wheel. When the bike is cold, it never makes this noise. The chain doesn't look dirty, I wonder what can attribute to this.
Thanks.
Curtis

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would go over the chain link by link to make sure they all still move freely, then maybe pull the rear brake and see if that changes anything. Could just be the pads on the rotor, but I know new noises never feel good.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My brakes squeak like that after every ride... once they cool down, they don't. Sounds like yours is similar...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Are you backing it into the garage while seated by any chance, or rolling in straight. I ask because I had a squeak a while back when I'd back it up(motor off) while still seated. I realized it was the pegs-as I pushed backward the back my calves would push against the pegs, pivoting them up and making the spring squeak. A little shot of WD40 fixed it. Just a thought...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It makes the noise forward, backward, with or without me sitting on it. Put on rear stand and spun it on neutral. Same squeak, **as long as the bike is hot. Very annoying.
The tire is not rubbing against anything, and it's not coming from the peg pivot. I can clean and examine the chain again, basically the dupont telfon lub keeps it in good shape so I doubt it's the chain. Maybe it's some other rotating part that needs lubing but I don't even know where to target...
My last resort will be take back to dealer. Just hope they don't charge an arm or leg to diagnose the problem (or if there's a problem).

·
Registered
768 Posts
To narrow it down to something harmless: The next time it squeaks, take a firm hold on the rear brake caliper and try to push inward a little. What you are trying to do is get the piston to retract into the bore a bit. The pads may be simply dragging a tiny bit when hot like Marthy experiences. Next, roll the bike again. If the squeak went away, there you are. Call it nature of the beast and worry no more. =)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
To narrow it down to something harmless: The next time it squeaks, take a firm hold on the rear brake caliper and try to push inward a little. What you are trying to do is get the piston to retract into the bore a bit. The pads may be simply dragging a tiny bit when hot like Marthy experiences. Next, roll the bike again. If the squeak went away, there you are. Call it nature of the beast and worry no more. =)
Just make sure to wear a leather glove when you do this. Even if you don't use your rear brake, it can get a bit warm...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mine makes a little bit of noise while it's still cooling down too. It's hard to say it's normal though without hearing/seeing it. If you're concerned or just curious about it - then put it on the rear stand and put a piece of tape on the rim just as a reference point and spin the wheel. See if it makes it at the same point every time or if it is off. If it moves - then it's not the disc. If it's at the same point then inspect and clean your disk. If that doesn't do it then check it for runout with a dial gauge. The rear disc isn't floating like the fronts so any runout (from warping, manufacturing imperfection, uneven wear, something on the disk...) will be more noticeable. The shop manual should tell you the allowable runout. If it isn't at the same point - and happens more than once per revolution - then it could be coming from the chain (less than once a revolution), front sprocket (more than once a revolution) or even the clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts