Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at different shocks for the FZ and noticed something strange.

The spring on the Penske vs the Ohlins looks different.

The Ohlins appears to have a couple of extra winds on the spring coil than the Penske and the thickness of the spring material appears to be thicker.

Humm... Anyone else notice this? Any ideas why?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
It's probably the difference in the grades of the steel being used.....the metallurgical composition of the steel.

·
Registered
380 Posts
lol. I had an ohlins s46dr1 on a 2008 sv650 and it was sweet. I am not a track person. I am somewhat aggressive on street. I got the Penske basic 8900E and I can tell you they feel very similar. Both are good shocks in my opinion. Rear makes a hell of a difference but you gotta do something good up front also. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did Traxxion cartridges in front first....they made an amazing improvement of the overall feel of the bike. Then I got a Penske double-clicker later. The shock really helped, but not as dramatically as the front end fix. If you could only afford to do one end of the bike, the fork might be the best to fix first.
(I weigh about 215 all geared up)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have it pretty dialed in with a ZX6RR that Traxxion re-valved and re- sprung.

Got the AK-20's from Traxxion up front. And yes they are really sweet.

Just always wondering if a different shock would bee any better.

Probably thinking too much.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Been looking at different shocks for the FZ and noticed something strange.

The spring on the Penske vs the Ohlins looks different.

The Ohlins appears to have a couple of extra winds on the spring coil than the Penske and the thickness of the spring material appears to be thicker.

Humm... Anyone else notice this? Any ideas why?
You need to ensure that you're comparing springs of the same rate before looking deeply into the wire diameter. The spring rate increases with wire diameter (and other factors). The 5" spring we spec'd for the Penske was chosen to cut as much weight as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts