Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an fz with what looked like a tail off another bike somewhere on the internet recently, aboslutely loved the look of it. The tail of the bike is currently my biggest gripe as far as looks go, i'd like for it to be longer and for the taillight to be housed inside it. Do I have any options? Thanks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm with you on this. I wonder if the FZ07 tail would fit?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm with you on this. I wonder if the FZ07 tail would fit?
That would be nice, I like the separated seating of the FZ-07 as well. I was going to buy an FZ-07 but I was able to get my FZ-09 at the same price as the 07 so I went for the power :-D and I am very happy with it.

The FZ-07 has a different tank which goes over where the subframe is connected, so this may be difficult. I would like to see how much different the 07 & 09 frames are, looks like that tank is also more forgiving on clearance

·
Registered
835 Posts
I want to chop my tail and make it look like the MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster but with my own twist.

Look at that sexy butt.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I want to chop my tail and make it look like the MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster but with my own twist.

Look at that sexy butt.
datass O_O

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That would be nice, I like the separated seating of the FZ-07 as well. I was going to buy an FZ-07 but I was able to get my FZ-09 at the same price as the 07 so I went for the power :-D and I am very happy with it.

The FZ-07 has a different tank which goes over where the subframe is connected, so this may be difficult. I would like to see how much different the 07 & 09 frames are, looks like that tank is also more forgiving on clearance
The FZ07 frame is tubular steel trellis. The FZ09 frame is aluminum. The two are not even close. The FZ07 has plastic covers over the hidden gas tank...the FZ09 tank is real. The rear sub frames are vastly different so nothing on an FZ07 would fit on a FZ09.

·
Registered
239 Posts

They are very different. The FZ07 uses a steel tubular backbone frame with stressed engine mounting, while the FZ09 uses a twin-spar aluminum frame construction. They very greatly in size and mounting configuration. The only thing similar the two share are the naked bike look.

The FZ07 uses is minimalist frame to lower the weight of the bike, they achieved this by incorporating the engine as part of the frame, hence it being a stressed member. The FZ07 would have lacked a great deal of frame rigidity if the engine was not incorporated into the frame as it was.

The controlled filled cast Twin spar diamond type frame on the FZ09 uses downtubes to suspend the engine inside the frame and the majority of its rigidity is from its own construction. The FZ/FJ are unique in that they switch to a tubular subframe where as most of yamahas aluminum diamond type frames utilize cast subframes or magnesium subframes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The FZ07 frame is tubular steel trellis. The FZ09 frame is aluminum. The two are not even close. The FZ07 has plastic covers over the hidden gas tank...the FZ09 tank is real. The rear sub frames are vastly different so nothing on an FZ07 would fit on a FZ09.
They are very different. The FZ07 uses a steel tubular backbone frame with stressed engine mounting, while the FZ09 uses a twin-spar aluminum frame construction. They very greatly in size and mounting configuration. The only thing similar the two share are the naked bike look.

The FZ07 uses is minimalist frame to lower the weight of the bike, they achieved this by incorporating the engine as part of the frame, hence it being a stressed member. The FZ07 would have lacked a great deal of frame rigidity if the engine was not incorporated into the frame as it was.

The controlled filled cast Twin spar diamond type frame on the FZ09 uses downtubes to suspend the engine inside the frame and the majority of its rigidity is from its own construction. The FZ/FJ are unique in that they switch to a tubular subframe where as most of yamahas aluminum diamond type frames utilize cast subframes or magnesium subframes.
Thank you for clearing that up. I have see people switch out the rear subframe on bikes. Example, grafting on a GSXR tail onto a SV650, so it wouldn't be completely crazy. I am happy with the look of the FZ-09, I just wish Yamaha didn't skimp on the Orange! Hell the Red and Yellow versions both have matching tail pieces and front fender.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I have a ninja 250 seat and subframe on my VFR800 streetfighter, and had an R1 seat and subframe on my gsxr 711 fighter.
It's not that hard, but there is some skill involved.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a ninja 250 seat and subframe on my VFR800 streetfighter, and had an R1 seat and subframe on my gsxr 711 fighter.
It's not that hard, but there is some skill involved.
Anything is possible with the proper tools, materials, and finances

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hm. The rizoma looks cool but it's not really what I was looking for. It looks like it's grossly pieced together when theres a rear cowl put on. The FZ07 tail is cool but it sounds like thats not doable. Gonna have to keep looking around then

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The R&G tail tidy was the only thing available when I purchased my bike. If I had to do it again, I would get the Yoshimura one. Personally I like the black below the cowl; it gives it more of an angular motion look along the lines of a Lamborghini Countach.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
First time I saw the FZ09 on picture I wasn't crazy about the tail to be honest... but it grow on me. Once the FE is done and the Rimosa tail light made the tail kind of sexy again. Simple & clean

·
Registered
136 Posts
I noticed on the FJ it looks like there is a plastic shroud around the tail light. I also like the grab handles and what looks like pretty nice bungee cord mounts/luggage mounts. any idea if this will fit the FZ and where I can get it? looks like it kinda completes the tail to me.
Gun Firearm Product Vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I believe that it has a different seat and subframe.
If the main frame is the same, you could buy the whole seat and subframe and swap it over.
Is this supposed to be a cheap exercise?
Putting the ninja 250 seat and subframe on my Vfr cost maybe $300 to buy the seat and subframe, and get the welding done to get it on. Pretty cheap in the scheme of things.
Buying a brand new seat and Subbie is gonna cost a fair bit, I'd say.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts