Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you guys have used for both front and rear for sport touring tires such as the road smart or angel Perelli GT’s? I am currently rocking the Bridgestone T 32 in back and I’m headed to a Trackday Monday and Tuesday at Pittsburgh international race complex

·
Administrator
3,019 Posts
I did a whole season on GT2’s. I always did 30psi cold front and rear. Problem was always they got greasy when hot. So I probably could have gone with higher pressures. Hot they were 33-34psi.

You’ll need to take it easy on these tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,825 Posts
I did a whole season on GT2’s. I always did 30psi cold front and rear. Problem was always they got greasy when hot. So I probably could have gone with higher pressures. Hot they were 33-34psi.

You’ll need to take it easy on these tires.
times 1000%.

·
Super Moderator
5,825 Posts
Personally, I pretty much wouldn't even consider doing a track day on S.T. tires unless I was maybe a complete Novice rider. In all the excitement and enthusiasm to keep pushing, trying to lap faster, they run a strong possibility of letting go and then the results are not going to make you happy. If you have enough self control to know how far to push them without going over the edge so to speak, it might turn out OK for you. Good luck and I have no suggestions on tire pressure for a ST tire....I never, ever, not even once ran that type of tire on the track.

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
I did my first track day on Angel GT back in the days. That was ok since it was my first one. End up pouring rain during the riders meeting, so it turn out good. I was quite surprised how well they were holding on to be honest, never tough I'll be grinding pegs in the wet LOL. But ya, like everyone says here, get a better weekend warrior track day tire. I did switch to the Q2 then Q3s, I'm sure there's better now.

·
Administrator
3,019 Posts
I did switch to the Q2 then Q3s, I'm sure there's better now.
Im on Q4’s now for the track. Incredibly sticky. Don’t last long, but the performance is crazy good. I’m going to the Pirelli SC3’s next as everyone raves about them also.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no vendors there since this is a MSF Advanced Riders Clinic. They just use the track at Pitt Race. But hey, free seat/track time.

there format is the first 5 sessions paced at 85mph. Then 2 sessions at pace then the last session of the day is open to whomever. Not bad for free and doing it Monday and Tuesday.

So no track tire vendor or any other vendors, just lunch, electric, and the Pitt Race gift shop and Fuel point are all.
Im on Q4’s now for the track. Incredibly sticky. Don’t last long, but the performance is crazy good. I’m going to the Pirelli SC3’s next as everyone raves about them also.
Good luck finding them. I emailed Alex about getting a set and they are now “track only” pick up with reservations weeks prior. But if you do get a set…get two…I’ll Venmo you

·
Administrator
3,019 Posts
there format is the first 5 sessions paced at 85mph. Then 2 sessions at pace then the last session of the day is open to whomever.
Sounds like the structure of the day will be highly limited.
ST tires in this case should be more than fine.
Any track time is better than no track time, but it sounds like a very tame day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nothing wrong with st tyres on a track day for us 99% of riders. ST tyres are better than full on race tyres were when I started racing 20 years ago. Just drop the pressure a couple of pounds.

·
Administrator
3,019 Posts
Just curious what you guys have used for both front and rear for sport touring tires such as the road smart or angel Perelli GT’s? I am currently rocking the Bridgestone T 32 in back and I’m headed to a Trackday Monday and Tuesday at Pittsburgh international race complex
How's the TD going?
What's something new you learned?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well boys here it is. Again, from instructors POV, I had a moment on th T32, where she slid out behind me and the TC Angels saved me. I adjusted rebound to make it a hair tighter(4clicks on the Razor R) and she felt better.

for anyone else interested, below is what I was running
Cold
T32 - 29
S22 -27

Lastly, in spite of the 85(…ish) mph limit, it still was a ton of fun and enjoyed learning from Lee Parks Total Control class. Along with a nice 50% off insurance discount now!

Reactions: marke14

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

after I got the rebound in the rear right(16 clicks out) tire felt comfy. Not savage Pirelli grip, but comfy for our pace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to trackdays and got a pair of Conti Road Attack 4s fitted on my 21 SP.
The last two day trackweekend / training course I somewhat destroyed the rear left side on the last session eager to overtake some Ducs.. I now how pretty much flat spot before a bump towards the edge of the tire. I was running 35 front and 33 rear cold. Ambient/air temp was around 25/26 degrees celcius. Earlier on the same day or the day before I had dropped the rear pressure from 38. I rode my bike 5 hours to the event. Anyone with eye for tire wear know if I've got cold or hot tears on the left rear? I should've kept a better eye on pressure. Notice also the leading edge is very raised on left side. I noticed this starting to happen and tried to turn rebound adjuster to left assuming it was too slow (from what google says..) a couple of sessions before. Did not see much difference thought. Could it somehow be spring related? All preload is taken out on the shock for sag numbers, was recommended getting stiffer front and softer shock springs when I got my bike setup... 6000 km on them and they've been very good on the road, but now the rear is very close to the wear bar on the left side.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Helmet Automotive tire Automotive side-view mirror Hood Automotive design
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your rebound is too slow. The leading edge has lip which is shock related. Definitely worth taking to a suspension guy and getting all your clickers setup properly with appropriate spring rates.

With the high air pressures your running I would think cold tearing but hard to say. I'm not familiar with those tires on track so gonna leave that one alone.

See a suspension guy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your rebound is too slow. The leading edge has lip which is shock related. Definitely worth taking to a suspension guy and getting all your clickers setup properly with appropriate spring rates.

With the high air pressures your running I would think cold tearing but hard to say. I'm not familiar with those tires on track so gonna leave that one alone.

See a suspension guy!
Thanks!
The bike is set up for me, went to a suspension guy last year. Found out that I was recommended stiffer springs front and softer spring rear. Front is almost maxed in preload and shock is all preload taken out. I weight 65 kg w/o gear. So on the street they have been wearing ok with no remarkable raised edge. I have however been running higher pressure on the street. On track when I noticed the leading edge was starting to raise I tried before a couple of session to make the rebound faster by a couple of clicks. Could've tried to take more out when I think about it. The right side however was wearing pretty good, just the left side starting to tear up with raised edge. I'm also more comfortable on left turns and the track was a bit more left sided. Some googling suggests maybe a mix of rebound tear/spring tear and hot tear. Or even soft compund tear?

Seems like very few people have experience with Continentals, so I'm thinking of going back to S22 since I'll be doing more trackdays next year and less touring.
Will definitely get the bike resprung also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts