Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I was just checking out some different bikes and came across the ninja 1000, it seems to be a lot more comfortable riding position then the super sport bikes which I like and obviously has some pretty wicked power but just set up more to be a capable touring bike as well which is a plus to me because id definitely like to do a lot of exploring and travelling. The bad thing is its about 4-5k more then the fz09, im just not sure how the 09 would do on long rides. Any ways I would really appreciate your guys opinions and thoughts on what you think would be a good touring bike but also still give a good fun factor. Maybe list your favorite/s and say what you think makes them such a great bike, thanks!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have ridden my FZ-09 on a 600 mile weekend and it was a blast. Enjoyed it very much!

If I were riding with a passenger (my wife) we would be on my BMW R1100RT. I would not want a passenger on the FZ-09 for more than a few miles at most.

Sport touring really depends on your definition of the term. For me, sport touring means: no passengers, 3 or more days on the road.

In the past I have ridden coast to coast a few times: once on a BMW R75/5 with a fairing. Three times on a Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca, once with a Rifle fairing. Once on an FZ750.

It is all about what is comfortable to you and how much stuff you are hauling along on the trip.

The FZ-09 is a better road bike than either the 650 Seca or the FZ750 so I suspect it would do fine as a one-up sport tourer. Toss on a set of soft saddlebags, a small tankbag and go for it. If the wind is too much for you, add a windshield such as one of the many offerings from National Cycle.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
In all seriousness, I have ridden BMW GS650 & 800's on Adventure Tours for thousands of miles at a time, most recently 4,500 miles. I feel that the FZ with a screen, MRA touring screen coming soon, and a softer seat option, Seat Concepts installed recently, will make the bike very road worthy. Keep in mind that this bike is a Naked Streetfighter, not a sport tour. I will let you know after I travel from Nashville to Austin in April.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont mind the tail pipes on the ninja but I'm definitely glad to hear you guys think the 09 is or will be a pretty good road bike, even if I have to put 2k into it its still a couple grand cheaper than other bikes I've been looking at. Got me all excited again, only downfall now is I've been thinking about going back to school this up coming fall so the new bike might have to wait a year, but it should pay off in the long :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts