Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all my FZers! Well I need some feed back from anyone that has bought and used a sport rack and top case for the FZ09. I am taking a trip out to Yellowstone looking to purchase one. I need to keep my wife happy while riding so she wants storage and a back rest for the trip. I have been looking at the Gvi v47. I am not so sure about the Givi rack though. I do like the look of the oem rack. Not so much of the shad case for it. I guess the Givi won't fit on the oem rack. The reason I am tore is I may keep the rack on after my trip for strapping on gear for my short trips. Any feed back and photos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've put SW-Motech Alu Racks on my last 2 bikes and have been really happy with them. The racks are very low profile and I think they look good on the bike. SW-Motech also make adapters to fit Givi, Trax, Hepco Becker, and most of the other manufacturer's cases. You can find them listed at Revzilla. Twisted Throttle, and a few other vendors if you do a Google search. There is one review on Twisted Throttle that says there was an issue with the fitment, but the one I got fit my FZ without any tweaks. You just have to follow the installation instructions.

Hope this helps,
Bob

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I had the OEM rack on my last MT with a generic top box. My new MT has the rack, and I'll put the box back on before I start riding again.
Attach the rack, attach the mounting plate to the rack, snap the box in place. Brilliant, as I'm too old for backpacks everyday.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Givi will fit on the OEM rack with a adapter. I went with a cheaper option with a sub $100 CooCase and fashioned a backrest out of upholstery foam and leather for the wife... Much more comfortable than any backrest I have come across. Also added LED running/brake lights on the cheap and the set up is complete.
FWIW, the OEM top case actually looks great and you don't need extra adapters.

Older photo from last summer:

From last night in Rockville

·
Registered
355 Posts
I installed a SW-MOTECH rack just this afternoon. I plan to use it for a tail pack, to give me more room to move around on the seat.

The hardware is nicely finished and over-built. There's some really nice welding on the support bars. Very sturdy.

Looks nice on the scooter. Almost makes the license plate thingy look like it belongs there. I was prepared to hate the support bars, but I'm growing to like them.

Only cons that I've seen so far:
  1. The instructions don't say when to reinstall the side panels after drilling the holes in them. If you proceed to the next step and install the rear bracket, you'll right quick find yourself removing it. They also don't tell you to leave out the rearmost plastic fastener on the side panels. (That's where the rear bracket attaches, via 6mm bolts/washers/nuts.)
  2. The side bars attach at 4 points (2 on the subframe and 2 on the rear bracket). It's a bit fussy getting all of them lined up at the same time. Just get everything started, then pretend you're torquing down a car wheel.
  3. The rack itself is a bit smaller than I'd like.
They want Loctite on everything. Fair enough, and easily done. (I've got one of those lipstick-style dispensers. Ought to last longer than those little tubes.)

Semi-pro Tip: You're supposed to drill 4 20mm holes where indicated on the side panels. Closest hole cutter I had was 1" (25.4mm), but as I suspected it just had to be big enough. The instructions for the very very very similar Yamaha accessory rack call for 27mm holes, so... WTFever!

On a completely unrelated note: Did you know that some FZ-09 riders can twist a 3/8" socket adapter clean in half?

·
Registered
128 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts