Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I not only read a lot of the news coverage on that NYC fiasco, I spent a lot of time reading the posted reader comments. It appears that in general, the populace is ready to paint everyone who rides a sport bike with the same broad brush.

This incident will be used as an excuse for some time to come in traffic disagreements. Whether or not you earn the title of hooligan, or ride like a saint may not matter. A lot of people will choose guilt by association because of your chosen bike.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Billy, it has always been that way. Honestly "Harley Riders" get quite a bad rap too. Generally associated with 1% outlaw gangs, they don't have it easy. This is why when you are riding, you not only have to watch out for dangers like gravel, sand, pot holes, cracks, animals....but you also have to watch out for other vehicles who's drivers either A: are too oblivious in their own world that they don't see you, or B: See you and think that you are a "nuisance". I have seen it so many times where people just don't pay attention, and always make the comment to my wife that when people drive, their world ends right outside of their windows.

Keep the rubber side down.

W

·
0 Posts
Believe it or not, most people are smart enough to figure out that this was an isolated deal. I refused to watch the video but someone I know watched it; the professor actually showed it in a college class to demonstrate viral videos. My understanding is the SUV mowed down about a half-dozen bikes or more near the beginning of the clip, and the license plates of the SUV and many of the bikes are visible in the video. Sounds to me like the SUV driver may be the instigator here or maybe part of it. Just because his family was in the car doesn't mean he didn't have an anger management problem. I reckon it will all come out and some arrests will be made.

Most folks just want to be left alone to get where they are going.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It has actually come to light that the bikers are more to blame here. Apparently they were riding like a bunch of idiots. The driver (being stupid if you ask me) decided that he was going to yell a bunch of stuff at them, and of course that made the bikers mad. So they decided to mess with the driver. He bumped the one dude, and then they started to attack the vehicle. So he ran, running over bikes. I went on the stance that everyone is in the wrong.... Should have never happened, but everyone looks at bikers that way. They are all a nuisance on the road, and that if you are riding a bike, you must be a punk looking for the next law to break. It is frustrating, but hey, gotta do what you love right?

W

·
0 Posts
I just looked up the latest on this mess, and it sure looks to me like the SUV driver escalated the violence first. Seems like what happened is he tapped the one bike and then things got out of control from there, but he ran over a guy and crushed him. If you were out riding and some car ran over your buddy and crushed him I think you might want to follow him, too. Things got out of hand but even though the SUV driver got beaten up he is way better off than the guy he ran down. Also one rider who was initially arrested was just set free. Looks like even the cops are starting to see this a little differently.

W

·
0 Posts
Well my whole family rides and the first thing is we don't go around trying to piss off other motorists. That is always a bad idea. I understand that the road they all were on is a one-way kind of scenic deal and most likely the car driver got annoyed feeling like he was being delayed by all the bikes. Then he started mouthing off as you say, next a biker pulled in front of him trying to get him to back off and be less aggressive, that guy got tapped from behind, and so on. My understanding is that the violence began when the driver mowed over a bunch of bikes and he kept running away after that. At lease the one biker got crushed and badly injured. Using a car like that is the same under the law as if the guy pulled a gun and started blazing away. Any way you look at it that driver will likely get prison time for felony attempted murder and failure to stop after an accident. Best thing is to stay the hell away from congested areas where folks are likely to get hot-headed but these people were all young and full of testosterone. It is a bad deal all around.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well my whole family rides and the first thing is we don't go around trying to piss off other motorists. That is always a bad idea. I understand that the road they all were on is a one-way kind of scenic deal and most likely the car driver got annoyed feeling like he was being delayed by all the bikes. Then he started mouthing off as you say, next a biker pulled in front of him trying to get him to back off and be less aggressive, that guy got tapped from behind, and so on. My understanding is that the violence began when the driver mowed over a bunch of bikes and he kept running away after that. At lease the one biker got crushed and badly injured. Using a car like that is the same under the law as if the guy pulled a gun and started blazing away. Any way you look at it that driver will likely get prison time for felony attempted murder and failure to stop after an accident. Best thing is to stay the hell away from congested areas where folks are likely to get hot-headed but these people were all young and full of testosterone. It is a bad deal all around.
They were on the west side highway. Usually a very busy multi lane in Manhattan. From what I read, and have seen in the videos, the bikers involved were riding with no regard for the traffic laws, or their safety. Stop signs and lights were run, lane splitting (illegal in new york), wheelies as well as lots of dirtbikes and quads without license plates. This was not a sanctioned ride, and traffic signals needed to be obeyed. I think that while these individuals may have ridden like jerks by themselves, the mob mentality was a huge multiplier of douchebaggery and the bikers acted poorly.

I'm sure there's blame to go around for all parties involved, but I would say that the bikers were mainly to blame. had they been obeying the law, then I would put the blame squarely on the cager, however, he was driving with his wife and small child, and then suddenly surrounded by bad azz stuntahz speeding, riding wheelies and disobeying all the traffic signals.

The video doesn't show what started the incident, so we don't know if it could have been avoided or not, but from the part where someone stops their bike in front of him and the others try to surround the range rover, I'd say the blame lies squarely on the bikers. If you cornered me with my 2 year old in the car, i'd run too, although i'd probably have gone over the GW bridge instead of into town. At least on the highway, he'd have had a chance.

Reactions: toml
W

·
0 Posts
There are some reports that the SUV driver was yelling at the bikers prior to the rear-ending incident. If true and he felt threatened at that point he should have called police on his cellular. I got Onstar and I woulda hit the red SOS button AND called the cops before it got out of control. There is just no way that driver is going to get out of attempted murder and fleeing the scene of an accident at this stage. I just finished traffic school to clear a point on my DMV record (hides it) for a ticket I got in my car on the freeway, 12 over the limit, 77 mph. The course discussed road rage a great deal and made it clear that the law does not look kindly on people escalating situations. No matter how bad the bikers were behaving, unless they were physically attacking the man's family he should have just pulled off the road and let them by and then gone about his business. The bikers were probably being provocative but there was one report of someone who encountered them prior to the incident; that person stated they just passed on by and didn't try to create any trouble. There is just never anything to be gained by trying to school other motorists about their actions. Just get the f*** out of the way and let the law handle it if you can.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are some reports that the SUV driver was yelling at the bikers prior to the rear-ending incident. If true and he felt threatened at that point he should have called police on his cellular. I got Onstar and I woulda hit the red SOS button AND called the cops before it got out of control. There is just no way that driver is going to get out of attempted murder and fleeing the scene of an accident at this stage. I just finished traffic school to clear a point on my DMV record (hides it) for a ticket I got in my car on the freeway, 12 over the limit, 77 mph. The course discussed road rage a great deal and made it clear that the law does not look kindly on people escalating situations. No matter how bad the bikers were behaving, unless they were physically attacking the man's family he should have just pulled off the road and let them by and then gone about his business. The bikers were probably being provocative but there was one report of someone who encountered them prior to the incident; that person stated they just passed on by and didn't try to create any trouble. There is just never anything to be gained by trying to school other motorists about their actions. Just get the f*** out of the way and let the law handle it if you can.
You're off base on this one, imo. The video is very clear as to what happened, I watched the entire clip from 30 seconds before the bump of the biker all the way to the end where they caught up to the guy and started to break his window. The bikes were weaving in and around the vehicle, he beeped at them for sure, whether he said something or not is actually irrelevant and to use it as justification as to what happened next is utterly ridiculous. The biker that got bumped swerved into the vehicles lane less than 15' in front of him and totally let off on the throttle, no brakes, and the vehicle bumped him. I have no doubt that it was confusing for the driver of the vehicle and I don't fault him for bumping the bike, happened way to fast without warning for him to do anything. Next a lot of them stopped and blocked him in and started getting off their bikes in a threatening manor. The driver fearing for his 2 year olds life punched it. You can see the vehicle launch over the bikes, although you can't see the biker get run over, I have no doubt about that as the man has serious injuries. They chased hom for miles until he got off the roadway and caught in traffic at a light when they started breaking his window with a helmet and then the video was stopped.

The man driving the vehicle will not be charged with anything, as far as I know the DA has left the door open but from the evidence that has been collected from eyewitnesses and the video that was uploaded to youtube by none other than some of the bikers that were part of the pack. But the law backs up the driver in this case, it was a menacing, and threatening situation. It was brought on by the pack mentality of the bikers, not the man with his wife and two year old in the car.

W

·
0 Posts
I know, these things can get very complicated in court. The first accident where the bike was bumped was the beginning of the law-breaking, because no matter what it is leaving the scene of an accident. The threshold of proving that he legitimately believed his life was in danger is pretty high and his reaction could be viewed as extreme. This one is going to take a long time for the lawyers and insurance companies to sift through. Even if the driver is not charged, the insurance company and the family/attorneys of the injured party can sue in civil court, and once it all cools down and they have this young guy, paralyzed, with crushed legs, wheeled out in front of a jury, it's gonna be tough. I hope everyone has learned something from this. Just be calm and courteous out there and stay out of trouble.

This reminds me of the Boston Massacre where John Adams defended the British soldiers' actions in firing into a crowd. The situation is complex and so will be the court cases.

W

·
0 Posts
I not only read a lot of the news coverage on that NYC fiasco, I spent a lot of time reading the posted reader comments. It appears that in general, the populace is ready to paint everyone who rides a sport bike with the same broad brush.

This incident will be used as an excuse for some time to come in traffic disagreements. Whether or not you earn the title of hooligan, or ride like a saint may not matter. A lot of people will choose guilt by association because of your chosen bike.

Be careful out there.
BTW I did notice a few drivers being a little weird with me today. I just cleared away from them. Half-expected it but this will blow over just like everything else.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I motorcyclist in that video were completely in the wrong. the se out that day to take over the roads. clearly not following any rules of the road. that 7 min video isnt the only video of them that day. there is about 2 hrs of footage of them. blocking intersections, riding into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road, riding down the sidewalk, wheelies, lane splitting, etc. they acted like everyone else on the road should have gotten out of there way.

As for the bikers getting run over, they had it coming pounding on the mans car with his family in it. cutting him off then slowing down... clearly feet from his front end. Im sorry but they got what they wanted. I would throw the book at all of them for this.

I agree that most drivers dont see motorcycles and its a problem. but it gives no one the right to be aggressive towards motorist not causing you any harm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know, these things can get very complicated in court. The first accident where the bike was bumped was the beginning of the law-breaking, because no matter what it is leaving the scene of an accident. The threshold of proving that he legitimately believed his life was in danger is pretty high and his reaction could be viewed as extreme. This one is going to take a long time for the lawyers and insurance companies to sift through. Even if the driver is not charged, the insurance company and the family/attorneys of the injured party can sue in civil court, and once it all cools down and they have this young guy, paralyzed, with crushed legs, wheeled out in front of a jury, it's gonna be tough. I hope everyone has learned something from this. Just be calm and courteous out there and stay out of trouble.

This reminds me of the Boston Massacre where John Adams defended the British soldiers' actions in firing into a crowd. The situation is complex and so will be the court cases.

Really, this reminds you of that? It's not complex at all. The district attorney has stated that it meets all the criteria of a menacing and threatening situation. The video is evidence it can cool down all they want, they can wheel the guy out, who didn't even have a valid drivers/motorcycle license all they want, any juror that sees the video (and it sounds like you didn't) they will have no problem putting themselves in the same situation. You seem to have related with these guys because they ride motorcycles, instead of seeing what they were actually doing. And if you think people were looking at you weird today, it's all in your head. It's because you're the one thinking about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Several cops may have watched biker beatdown | New York Post

Several cops watched as this went down and did exactly zip to help out this family under attack. They were part of a group that calls themselves "Front Line Soldiers" or some such. We've got some similar LEO clubs around here; Reguladores, etc... They get hammered at the bars where they abuse staff and other patrons alike then have no problem weaving down the road to the next bar secure in the knowledge that they have nothing to fear from their "brothers in blue".

It turns out this ride was a memorial of sorts to fallen "soldiers". Not Army Soldiers mind you, but the "No Limit" kind.

Stop the planet. I want off.

(Not all cops are bad in; 3..2..1..)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am ashamed of the bikers. I just watched the whole video and as I see it it was clearly the bikers fault. One of the slowed down too much and the car hit him. Looks like they were trying to antagonize the suv. Watch the video and tell me what you guys think

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:

Anybody catch today's news? There were some NYPD boys on bikes in that group. Oops. The one cop said he was an undercover officer who didn't want to blow his cover. Man, this story gets stranger every day.

W

·
0 Posts
Lot of emotion running high and hot here. No sense in rushing to any kind of judgment. We got seven minutes of video. Reports of other video establishing hooligan behavior. Other reports that many other vehicles had no trouble when the group passed them. It's too early to tell what will happen. NYPD cops on the ride? It gets more intriguing by the minute.

BTW, I am not a judge, jury, or executioner any more than the next guy. Every American has the right to a jury trial in a court of law, not the court of public opinion. I am just dang glad I was nowhere near this deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts