Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked up the new 09 a few days ago and decided to start a build thread. Only mods thus far are a rad guard and horn relocation.

On order is a Termignoni full exhuast, levers, tail tidy, led indicators pretty much the usual suspects. Anyway I'll update as it progresses.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My sliders turned up today so on they went. I went for the evotech offering, fit and finish is spot on. Hopefully I never have to test them out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got quite a few more bits on the bike over the last few days. Theses include... Termignoni exhaust, Mustard fender eliminator, Led indicators front and rear, protaper bar, levers and finally some bar end mirrors!

I've ordered Matris cartridges and a Wilbers shock, looking forward to getting those installed!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've since got ridden of those mirrors as they were cheap eBay jobs and almost rattled themselves off after their first ride.

A bit of an update on my bike, I've gotten a Wilbers 641 shock and Matris cartridges installed as well as some stainless brake lines and new mirrors.

Rearsets and seat are next on the list!

·
Registered
1 Posts
your bike looks awesome, i like how the fender eliminator and lack of bug mirrors make it look like a shorter and sharper package.

I'm looking to replace the bars, how have they changed the ride for you? Was it much work to swap them over? Sick of having the grips sitting in my lap, more or less;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So another batch of parts have arrived for me to install... These include; graves sprocket cover, lightech chain adjusters, driven block off plates, radiator side covers, K-facrtory rear sets an engine bolt kit from pro-bolt as well as a new clutch adjuster, oil filler cap and fuel tank bolts. And some new grips...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rear sets were a fairly simple install once I had the front nice and secure. It was a very testing process trying to line up and get the pin back in by myself but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. My way of securing the front was pretty crude to say the least, but it worked.

The block off plates were a breeze to install once I removed the radiator, gives you a ton of room to work a small ratchet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These rearsets are four position adjustable, so you have a bit of play to get them how you like. They do not come with a provision for the stock mechanical rear brake switch so a hydraulic banjo bolt switch had to be installed in its place. The rear master cyclinder also has to be disassembled to install the new plunger on the rearsets. My switch hadn't arrived when I installed the rearsets so I had to bleed the brakes twice.... Oh well.

I painted my radiator side covers with plastidip, not sure if I'm liking it or not just yet. I dare say they'll end up black. On a side note this was my first time using plastidip, seems like pretty good stuff. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Looks great.

You might want to check into a set of engine case guards, since frame sliders don't help protect the lower engine cases in a tip over.

Some 09 owners have found this out the hard way, which sucks because they thought their frame sliders would prevent case damage. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I've been putting off getting some to get other less important bits... Haha they're on the list! Cheers mate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! I really like all the mods you've done (except the red bits lol), I'll be watching your build with interest!
Thanks bud, I'm not too sure if I'm sold on the red yet either. I'll give it a few weeks and see what happens!

·
Registered
85 Posts
i think the red grips look legit!
what did you go with on the suspension, looks like you have different in front and rear

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think the red grips look legit!
what did you go with on the suspension, looks like you have different in front and rear
The shock is a Wilber's 641 and the fork carts are from Matris.

It's a nice bit of kit dynotik, you'll love it if you end up with one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Spore, I have the same cartridge kit and am having clunking noises coming from the front end since having them fitted. How are yours?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine are flawless so far.

Clunking noise? How's your head bearings? Any play in them? I can't imagine the fork carts clunking unless of course something has gone wrong internally. Maybe take the bike back to the fitter?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts