Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Good news: Spiegler has developed brake line kits for the FZ-09.
Better news: Stoltec Moto is running a group buy for these kits!

Why upgrade to Spiegler brake lines on your bike? Several reasons come to mind:
  • Firmer lever feel, due to reduced brake line swell as is typical with rubber lines.
  • Lifetime warranty. Unlike the stock rubber lines which breakdown with UV exposure and repeated load cycles, a quality stainless steel line will outlast the bike. Most OEM's recommend a 2-4 year replacement on all rubber lines.
  • Stainless steel crimp fittings. OEM, and many aftermarket companies, use coated carbon steel.
  • All of Spiegler's offerings are DOT-approved, which means A) these kits are legal for road use, and B) these kits were designed and pressure tested to ensure trouble-free use.
  • Patented adjustable banjo fittings eliminate line twist, and in some cases, allow for repurposing lines with different master cylinders and calipers.
Spieger has three kit offerings for the FZ-09:
  1. Front, stock replacement (first bike from left in picture, below)
  2. Front, 2 line 'parallel' kit (second bike from left in picture, below)
  3. Rear brake line

Here is what the 2-line 'parallel' kit looks like on the bike:

The stock replacement kit utilizes all existing mounting clips and grommets, but we do not have a picture to show at this time. Use your imagination for the time being...

There are a multitude of line and fitting colors with 117 possible color combinations. The best way to see what a color combo looks like is to visit Spiegler's webpage and use their color configurator. Go to: Spiegler Performance Parts - Motorcycle Brake Line Kits and select the 'Brake Line Color Selector' at the bottom left. Enjoy...

As a courtesy for you guys, we're also doing a special on brake fluid and speed bleeders to make this a one-stop shop for you. Brake fluid is going to be Motul RBF600. If you aren't familiar with it, Google it! It's one of the best brake fluids on the market that us 'mere mortals' can afford. High wet and dry boiling points (421F and 594F, respectively), and even bottled in an inert Nitrogen environment to mitigate abmbient air hygroscopic concerns.

Thanks!
Nick

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Shit, I ordered mine from Robert, Friday. He was shocked that I knew that they had just done one. Oh well, live and learn. Antique black lines, gold fittings.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries Doug. Moving forward on this stuff as fast as possible, but there is only so much time in the week!

If you don't mind posting up a picture of your color combo when you get them, I'm sure other users would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Might be in for a front set. I'm good on fluid and no need for speed nipple.

Always wonder what is the difference in feel between the double and single lines?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be in for a front set. I'm good on fluid and no need for speed nipple.

Always wonder what is the difference in feel between the double and single lines?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Marthy, think it over and let me know when you're ready.

Spiegler is adamant that there is no performance difference between the two different setups. I've personally run both configurations on my personal bikes and was never able to pick one over the other. At this point, my suggestion is to purchase based on styling/looks.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Doug, I see Black and Smoke but not Antique black, how is it different?

Also in the selector it is hard to tell the difference between Black and Smoke, I guess with Smoke you see the braid more. What do people that have seen the Smoke think of it?

Stoltec, how about including crush washers and colored banjo bolts in the order?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Also in the selector it is hard to tell the difference between Black and Smoke, I guess with Smoke you see the braid more. What do people that have seen the Smoke think of it?

Stoltec, how about including crush washers and colored banjo bolts in the order?
The black is a deep gloss black whereas the smoke has a translucent effect. You can see the stainless steel weave on the smoke. Personally, the smoke is my favorite color.

Good question on the banjos and washers. I had computer issues last night when I posted this and that update got left out. The kits include washers. Banjos are only included for the 2-line parallel kit (new double banjo for m/c); in this case, you'll take the OE m/c single banjo and use on the RH caliper. The LH caliper will continue to use the OE banjo. If you'd like to do a different color on the banjos, they can be purchased separately.

can we pick it up from the local Spiegler shop? There's one right across the street from where I drop off my kids each day...
I'll check with Spiegler, but my initial reaction is yes...

Would this kit work with the master cylinder and calipers from an '08 R1?
Is this for an R1 or are you swapping the R1 m/c and calipers onto the FZ? If the former, I can get that kit for you. If the latter, no one knows (yet). But, the FZ's have taller forks/handlebars and a traditional cross-pump master cylinder; swapping the R1 brake system will likely require custom lines, which we can get. Custom lines are subject to regular prices and are not included in the group buy, however. PM me if you'd like to talk more.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is their a code that we use when we order or how do we indicate we are part of the group buy?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good question on the banjos and washers. I had computer issues last night when I posted this and that update got left out. The kits include washers. Banjos are only included for the 2-line parallel kit (new double banjo for m/c); in this case, you'll take the OE m/c single banjo and use on the RH caliper. The LH caliper will continue to use the OE banjo. If you'd like to do a different color on the banjos, they can be purchased separately.
Fixed this - there was a miscommunication between myself and Spiegler on the banjos. See above!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

Smoke is probably the same as what they called Antique Black. I wanted the flat in stead of the gloss so that the steel braids would show better, and I went with the stock setup.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fixed this - there was a miscommunication between myself and Spiegler on the banjos. See above!
I'm in for a set of front and rear hoses. Parallel up front in clear color. Polished SS banjos for front and back.
If ordering banjos at same time, does Spiegler install them?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm in for a set of front and rear hoses. Parallel up front in clear color. Polished SS banjos for front and back.
If ordering banjos at same time, does Spiegler install them?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
The banjos are the fittings at the end, they will come installed.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Decisions...decisions....Blue cable with gold or black ends?

Also, What about a group buy on some nice brakes while we are at it?? :encouragement:

1 - 20 of 207 Posts