Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share the nightmare it is, trying to buy a new bike these days. Originally I had sent a $500 deposit via Pay Pal to a dealer I know just to be first on the list. He sent me a e-mail sales receipt with all the EXTRA charges on it. Among them was $399 for shipping....$280 "documentation fee" and a $240 for "setup" fee. :angry3: So I go there today to finalize the deal and get the "real" out the door price. Now I previously agreed to pay MSRP on a brand new model bike,...but in person I attempted to negotiate the bullshit add on fees. They refused to budge and said.... I quote "There is the door if you don't like it". So after the dust settled....I got my deposit back and wifey and I drove to the next closest Yamaha dealer.

I get there...and they never heard of an FZ-07. They actually had to be directed to Yamaha's website to get the MSRP. So we talk a while and I ask about the "add ons" I tell them I have $5,000.00 in my pocket for a deposit {true} and will pay MSRP but don't want to get ripped on extra charges. So they show me the paperwork and they want $800 for shipping....$275 for a setup fee and $260 for a documentation fee.
I tell them I don't mind paying a few hundred for the fake shipping charge but the rest is bs. So they talk a while and they agree...but when I ask for a SALES RECEIPT with an out the door price,,..they refuse and try their best to take any kind of a deposit. I tell them no out the door price in writing...no deposit. They still refused so we left.

Dealer #3. We walk in there and I tell the guy I;m willing to pay the MSRP...sales tax...tag etc....but not ANY of the fake add on prices. I tell him I can give him a deposit today. {didn't say how much deposit}
So he talks to the sales manager and in 5 minutes comes back and says "OK" to my surprise.
I pull out the $5,000 and he writes it up. $7560.00 out the door. It took about 5 hours total but I'm ok with the deal. I know in California and other places they discount bikes and a few will get a better deal than I did...but here in Georgia...it's a nightmare dealing with some of these dealer crooks.

Just so you know...any documentation fee...shipping charge....or setup fee is just plain bullshit for these crooks to make more money. The real shipping charge from Yamaha is included in the MSRP price. You have to pay the agreed selling price....pay local sales taxes...and tags...and transfer fees...but that's it.

Hope that helps.

Edit....no FZ-07's in stock here yet. Have to wait a week or two.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You profess to own/run/manage a business... do you run your business on the philosophy that if you make ANY profit, from ANY transaction, you're automatically a "crook?"

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You profess to own/run/manage a business... do you run your business on the philosophy that if you make ANY profit, from ANY transaction, you're automatically a "crook?"

Just curious.
I do own a business and the price I charge is the price they pay. I don't rob my customers with fake shipping charges and other add on costs. In fact....if I have to guess it cost $65 to ship to Sweden ...and it only really costs $55.00...I refund the difference. My customers appreciate honesty.

Reactions: jasonk and Paul G

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good job getting a deal you're happy with.
Would it be better if they just had a charge that said "profit"?
At least it would be more honest than freight and prep.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It's not a uncommon practice for dealers to demand more money on hot items.

Car stealerships do this a lot with either ridiculously overpriced add ons or actually charging a demand premium.

This was happening in jersey when the r8 first came out and people were buying then anyway because they had to have it.

Some people will go dealership to dealership - others won't and those are the ones they make the money on. Buyer beware.

Sent from my phone and my autocorrect sucks

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
In Florida, especially with a brand new bike (as in recently released), most dealers will charge the prep fee. And if you don't like it, then they will sell the bike to someone else. But when they have older year models on the floor or a bike that is not selling, they will wheel and deal. But I would no expect a dealer to take money off a bike that was just released, with the potential to sell like hot cakes.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
No it's for me. It's my 67th motorcycle.
you would think that a person who had (supposedly) bought 66 motorcycle already would not have so much trouble buying another one...Ive only had a dozen or so and bought my FZ-09 in about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bought my FZ-09 in about 45 minutes.
Ditto -- about 30 minutes and I was out the door; however, I've got a great local shop (Cahill's Yamaha in Tampa -- little plug there). They never charge fees. MSRP only...out the door. Mark at Cahill's is the man!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
When I bought my FZ, I didn't argue about the fees. Yeah, it was a few hundred $$, but these guys incur alot of costs running a showroom. Thats just me though...I don't like to save a few bucks by raking over someone else

·
Registered
260 Posts
In Florida, especially with a brand new bike (as in recently released), most dealers will charge the prep fee...
I got the same song and dance from two local Yamaha dealers. To add insult to injury, they would not recognize the Costco Auto Buying program!

·
Registered
196 Posts
For another ~500 you could have gotten the 09. Why put all that money down on a lesser machine?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Same reason people buy a gsxr 600 over a gsxr 750. But in this case, I believe he just wanted it. He has had 67 motorcycles lol.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
181 Posts
I did my whole deal (other than picking it up obviously) over email. Rick at Mukwonago Yamaha was great. $200 off MSRP plus tax and title (actual fee). No freight, no set up. I did give them a $500 deposit to secure the as of then undelivered bike. It showed up 2 weeks later and I picked it up. 2100 mile later, waiting to have the CCT changed, with no hassles from them on it. Part ordered after an email, will get the work done when it arrives.

Sconnie

Ditto -- about 30 minutes and I was out the door; however, I've got a great local shop (Cahill's Yamaha in Tampa -- little plug there). They never charge fees. MSRP only...out the door. Mark at Cahill's is the man!

·
Registered
962 Posts
$260 for documentation fees is stiff - but the others aren't out of line. Most dealerships will do documentation for $100 - which can be a good deal unless you want to spend hours at the DMV and tax office. The shipping and assembly/prep fees are not included in the MSRP. The cost of getting them to the distribution center might be - but not to the dealer. The farther you are from a distribution center - the more it will cost. I used to pick up bikes from Yamaha's South Central distribution center in Ft Worth and did assembly/prep. I charged the dealerships I worked for a fee per trip, plus a per bike fee (it cost me money to make the trip, and each crate took time and resources). Normal runs were 10 crates, but I picked up as many as 14 and as few as 6. If you don't want to wait for 10 bikes to be ready - then it's going to cost you more per bike. The dealerships also pay to insure the bikes in transit. Different bikes also have different amounts of assembly/prep. Most dealerships charge a fixed rate for shipping and for prep rather than explaining to people why it cost more to ship this person's FZ than what they charged someone else - so the charges can be a place for wiggle room on the price. But on hot items - they might have made a small load to get them into the showroom, and the wiggle room is gone. Also remember that if they pay someone $100 to assemble/prep - then their total cost is higher because they have to provide the space to do it, supplies, insurance, and disposal/return of crating materials. The dealer I bought my FZ-09 from made a trip specifically to get my bike - so I'm sure they took a small loss on my shipping charges... The profit margin at most dealerships is lower than most people think, and sometimes a few hundred dollars difference in out the door price can come down to what bikes were ready at the distribution center with yours...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts