Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the SpeedoDRD
SpeedoDRD
from 12oclocklabs for $70.00 including tax (none) and shipping (none) which actually makes it the cheapest accessory to be able to correct your speedometer with.

If you know where the speed sensor is on the FZ-09 or don’t want an old curmudgeon history lesson you can skip to the next paragraph..hehe)
The only trouble that I had with the installation was in finding the damn speed sensor plug on the bike. This is the 3rd iteration of a speed sensor pickup that I have encountered. First there was a gear on the front wheel that that a wire in a cable to the speedometer where it spun a magnet that caused a force to be applied to the needle again the spring tension. Maybe a few of you oldsters can remember these also. They used this type up until about the birth of Christ I think. Anyway, once electronics were introduced the most common placement of the speed sensor that I am aware of was near the front sprocket. It took me the service manual, flashlight, and I swear about an hour of searching to discover it is located on the transmission. Actually this is probably the best possible location as the ones mounted near the sprocket were prone to collecting tons of dirt, chain lube, etc. BUT (ain’t there always a BUT hehe) you can’t get to the damn thing. Finally I had to even remove the gas tank to get to it. I didn’t disconnect the gas line, I just disconnected the electrically connection to the fuel pump, and the two other hoses and set the gas tank on a same table beside the bike. I know this has nothing to do with this an evaluation of the speedodrd but no matter which speedometer correcting device you were to install they all plug into the same place.

The damn thing is TINY, they claim ½ ounce and I believe it. After I got mine plugged in I did not even have use the two supplied nylon zip ties to route it. I loosed one of the stock ties and ran it through it and up between the frame and plastic try. The cord length is perfect as the control module now sits there approximately where the battery is. The SpeedoDRD has 3 mode that you can set it. You can set it by a sprocket size change formula, a distance traveled calculation taken from your odometer versus either mile markers or GPS. The third method is comparing your speedometer reading against a know actuate measurement. This could be some one following you, a GPS reading, or a speeding ticket (I suggest either option 1 or 2).

Once it is installed and you turn the key on it will indicate it is active by blinking red and then green quickly one time. This little gem has only one button, and one led light that can turn red, green, and orange so at first I was a little intimidated by the setup procedure but after I read the instructions a copy of times I was able to do it easily without even referring back to the instruction sheet, it is actually quite intuitive and easy. If you can cook a TV dinner in a microwave this should be a piece of cake. This unit also captures your top speed just as the Speedohealer does except that there is no accessory button to mount to your dash to display it, rather you push the one button to enter its menu mode. It will begin a very rapid flashing. The menu mode has 10 options. To select an option you press the button and the LED begins a slow blink, when you count the number of blinks corresponding to the option you want just release the button. To retrieve your top speed, select option 1. Option 5 is to set the correction factor. I used my cell phone GPS to obtain a true speed. In my case it is an old and slow phone (by today’s standards) with Copilot installed (another GREAT product that includes a motorcycle mode and IMO is even better than Garmin and costs about $20.00 versus 500 plus and you only have one device to charge rather than two). It seems that my phone only updates the speed about once a second versus the bike which is probably updating at 10 times a second so obtaining a steady speed long enough to be able to get the required values does require a good rode free of traffic and a steady hand. I calculated I needed to adjust 8 percent. After entering this value and another test I need to adjust just a tiny amount as it seems that most of the time I show a one MPH difference between the speedometer and the GPS at 60 MPH. I will try 8.5 percent and it should be near perfect.

So to sum up how to I rate this device….4 out of 5 stars for instructions (they did nor show me where my speed sensor was) and 5 stars for every other aspect, value, ease of use, construction, and ease to install and program. I couldn’t be happier.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The police officer that pulled me over the other day informed me that my speedo was dead on when I commented that bike speedos typically read higher than actual. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
When I ride with my Garmin, the speedo is dead on. Not the case with my FZ6, or other bikes I've owned for that matter.

Don't really see the need for a speedo correction device on this bike, but that's just me 106.gif

·
Registered
418 Posts
My speedo on the FZ09 reads 2mph higher than actual. At an indicated 60mph I'm actually doing 58. 2mph is not enough for me to worry about since I'm actually going 2mph slower than the speedo is reading. The only time I install a Speedo DrD is when I do a gearing change. But the Speedo DrD is hands down the best one out there for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Mine will read either dead on or 1MPH different than my Garmin Zumo 550.....close enough for a town this size......unless, like stated, a gearing change was done.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Pegasus...........you stated that you only showed 1 MPH difference between the speedometer and the GPS and then said that you were going to set the SpeedoDRD at 8.5% and that should make it perfect. 8.5% would change the MPH by 5.x MPH. Is that correct or did I miss something here?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pegasus...........you stated that you only showed 1 MPH difference between the speedometer and the GPS and then said that you were going to set the SpeedoDRD at 8.5% and that should make it perfect. 8.5% would change the MPH by 5.x MPH. Is that correct or did I miss something here?
I have it set to an 8% correction factor right now so I need to increase it a little more. I am guessing that changing the factor to 8.5% will make me spot on.

BTW: My gearing change amounted to +11.6% so if my finally correction factor does work out to be +8.5% then that would mean that my speedometer was initially -3.1 % off which would mean approximately a reading of 60 at a true 58....almost exactly what others have said that theirs was off by.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I have it set to an 8% correction factor right now so I need to increase it a little more. I am guessing that changing the factor to 8.5% will make me spot on.

BTW: My gearing change amounted to +11.6% so if my finally correction factor does work out to be +8.5% then that would mean that my speedometer was initially -3.1 % off which would mean approximately a reading of 60 at a true 58....almost exactly what others have said that theirs was off by.
OK....gotcha.......I either had forgot about the gearing change or just didn't realize that you had done one. I was hoping my high school math skills.......or lack thereof, weren't that bad! :cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Speedodrd
If you go over to friends to install but don't have time to set it up it's okay, you just stay wrong until programming is done. You can ride around installed unprogrammed , I found no problems.
When you do program it you will be very confident about set up for corners , and obeying speed limits. I was -17% off. My arrival time guesses were off and my gas range expectations were off. This little plug in device , just unplug one and plug in male and female in seconds flat your done.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Changing tires can throw the speedo off a bit too. I've always used speedohealers, but if mine needs adjusting I might have to try this one. The max speed reading from it, and a gps are what I would use to set and check it. Your local police would probably be willing to tell you where they have any speed trailers set up - but looking at the speedometer and the trailer at the same time isn't as safe.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you noticed I was way off correct due to sprockets and tire size changes. I'm planning a bigger change but need advice. When I do the Change then I'll just correct for that change . I recommend knowing how fast your going and the right distance you have used your motorcycle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts