Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my FZ about three weeks ago. Today I installed a mra double bubble wind screen and on the first ride with it I got pretty significant wobbles during a forth gear pull. I thought I might of been holding the bars too tight so I tried it again and the same thing happened. Pre windscreen I had no issue. I have stock suspension adjusted to the recommended settings I found on here. This is my first standard bike, I'm coming from a vtx1800. Has anyone else experienced this from a windscreen or was it something I was doing? Either way it wasn't that cool so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's easy to induce a speed wobble on the FZ, the aggressive steering combined with light front end and uber-torque are all the right items. Adding a fairing onto the bars will only exacerbate the situation.

IOW, I'm not surprised, work on your hovering on the bars on accelleration more, and also check your steering head bearings and nut.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Is there any wiggle room in the bolt holes, side to side in the brackets, when mounting the screen? Maybe it's off to one side just enough to make a difference?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Perhaps the windscreen isn't causing it, perhaps you could try removing it and see if you still get them. Your weight and riding position could make a difference too. My Ninja 500 developed them after I replaced the rear shock with a taller one, but I was able to get rid of them by dropping the forks in the triple tree (raising the front end). Maybe there is another issue and the windscreen is amplifying the problem on you. I know my FZ9 is stable to the limiter with the rear lifted a bit from using a zx10 shock, however I also lay out on the tank under full acceleration to plant the front tire. I also have my bars rotated forward so I can put more weight on the front.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Perhaps the windscreen isn't causing it, perhaps you could try removing it and see if you still get them. Your weight and riding position could make a difference too. My Ninja 500 developed them after I replaced the rear shock with a taller one, but I was able to get rid of them by dropping the forks in the triple tree (raising the front end). Maybe there is another issue and the windscreen is amplifying the problem on you. I know my FZ9 is stable to the limiter with the rear lifted a bit from using a zx10 shock, however I also lay out on the tank under full acceleration to plant the front tire. I also have my bars rotated forward so I can put more weight on the front.

I think this is along the right idea, when I bought my bike I had the same speed wobble your talking about, very severe. In my case when I Added the double bubble it actually go much better, however Regardless of what effect your windscreen had, lowering your triple clamp or raising your forks a little should help you out. This will add some weight to the front end, mine is like a rock at 150 now, with stock suspension.

It's also not difficult, loosen all your clamps on your forks until 1/2 turn past finger tight (not one turn more, one turn less, still need your clamps to hold your forks up, if you go to loose you will drop your triple clamp to the bottem of the bars.... Total PIA so don't do it.) and gently knock your bars straight down with a rubber mallet, I only raised mine a few mm and it was perfect.

Instructions are not my strong suit but feel free let me know if you need some pictures or anything.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've got the same screen on a stock suspended 2014 and have never had any issues with stability, either.
I also have 210# of "ballast" (me) on the bike, too. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this is along the right idea, when I bought my bike I had the same speed wobble your talking about, very severe. In my case when I Added the double bubble it actually go much better, however Regardless of what effect your windscreen had, lowering your triple clamp or raising your forks a little should help you out. This will add some weight to the front end, mine is like a rock at 150 now, with stock suspension.

It's also not difficult, loosen all your clamps on your forks until 1/2 turn past finger tight (not one turn more, one turn less, still need your clamps to hold your forks up, if you go to loose you will drop your triple clamp to the bottem of the bars.... Total PIA so don't do it.) and gently knock your bars straight down with a rubber mallet, I only raised mine a few mm and it was perfect.

Instructions are not my strong suit but feel free let me know if you need some pictures or anything.
Thanks for the input. I will try to lower the triple clamp and see if that helps. I also noticed it looks to be a little off center so I will see if I can straighten it up.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Thanks for the input. I will try to lower the triple clamp and see if that helps. I also noticed it looks to be a little off center so I will see if I can straighten it up.
8-10mm seems to be a good sweet spot. Add some rear preload if it still wobble.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can also check your rear tire to make sure it is aligned correctly using a straight edge or a piece of string. I played around with this on my Ninja, but I was only able to reduce the wobble by about 30%. In the end it turned out to be the fork/shock height.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Check tire alignment and air pressure. Next check steering head bearings and axle tightness.

My guess is one or more of those issues are causing the wobble.

A small windshield should not cause wobbles. A larger one with "wings" that extend out to cover the hands could get enough imbalance to cause a wobble.

Reactions: chris1261

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have the same screen and love it.

I ran an Ermax 25 and a Puig Sport before. The front end did feel a bit more stable with both of these.

Never had a wobble with the MRA unless I would wiggle the bars to induce it and then it did not actually enter into a for real front end shake. It just feels a little more prone to wobble than with other smaller shields.

Something else that will make it more prone to wobble is front end rake. Raising the rear or dropping the front end will make the front end more twitchy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I haven't noticed anything with the double bubble. In fact the wind I still feel around my helmet is very smooth. I'm 6'3" and 175 geared up.

Reactions: Davinci
1 - 15 of 15 Posts