Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i eliminate the wobbles without a $500 steering damper? I get them everywhere from cornering at 35MPH to on the high way at 100MPH, is there any other ways to get rid of it?

·
Registered
833 Posts
IMO something aint right. Never had a wobble even at triple digits. Someone will be by with some technical advice, I'm sure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It definitely concerns me that you are getting wobbles as low as 35 MPH. If that were happening to me I would be taking straight to the dealer... Something is off.

I have heard that the fz-09 can be a little unstable at 100+ but never heard of people having speed wobbles at 35

·
Registered
612 Posts
Agreed! I've heard of speed wobbles but never had it happen. I do remember my instructor at motorcycle school said that when you get a wobble it will intensify if you are holding your arms too stiff. He said to get out of a wobble situation you need to relax your arms and grip. Perhaps your're riding too stiff and causing it to happen? Or like the others implied, you may have some major imbalance on the bike that's initiating the wobbling. If it is the bike I don't think I'd ride too fast until it's solved.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Never had the wobble, even at 130.

·
Banned
486 Posts
mine gets me into a tank slapper at 120+ sometimes. but never at 35. maybe u are talking about the soft suspension and never settling in turns. i know my bike will bounce all throughout the entire turn at times

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a severe wobble at 80-90 mph thru maybe 110 when I first bought the bike. Lowered my front tire pressure a bit and added a Mri double bubble and it went away completely. I still want the steering damper but no longer need it

image.jpg

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Bumps at anything in the triple digit range makes the front end nervous on mine.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You might want to check ad make sure the back tire is aligned with the front tire. This image is exaggerated to show what I mean, but you should also see the chain is out of alignment as well.

tire-alignment.jpg

Other suspects could be your front forks are binding a little from front tire not being centred/aligned to forks.

Low speed wobble could also mean a bad front tire. I have seen this issue before where they tried everything to fix the wobble. When they installed a new front tire the wobble just disappeared. You can't always see an internal tire separation until it gets really bad, or the tire starts to wear because of it. It's easier to see on a car tire because of the tread pattern, which is harder to see on a motorcycle tire do to the lack of tread pattern.

Another is a possible a lost tire balancing weight. I have seen where a tire wobbles at slow speed, then it goes away as you speed up, then comes back at a higher speed.

There is definitely something wrong to be seeing a wobble at just 35 mph.

Reactions: River

·
Registered
654 Posts
bumps make the front end nervous on mine to but at least to me that's different than speed wobble, completely agree with check the front tire, and either check the torque on the various front end bolts or take it to a trusted mechanic to do that depending on your mechanical ability. (on smooth pavement no wobbles out of mine on stock suspension up to 140 [ I generally don't ride that fast but after getting the limiter removed I had to test it])

also agree with the rear tire alignment idea. bad vibrations only at certain speeds would also be balance. another possibility, check to see if you bent a wheel.

Reactions: Keef

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
When bikes are in sound mechanical condition, they don't wobble, unless the rider is causing it.
Ever seen a YouTube clip of a racer with the handlebars shaking back and forth, having a massive tankslapper, and the bike is all out of shape? He gets thrown off, and all by itself the bike straightens up and goes straight until it hits a wall or something?
Bike with rider, all kinds of problems, no rider, nice and stable.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
first thing I would check is your grip.. are you leaning on the bars or just resting your arms on them when you ride.

If you have the part down, then troubleshoot the bike. Unless you've dropped your bike or not maintained it properly, the issue is typically the rider.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i would guess tire psi or suspension setup. I have always eyeballed the alignment on every bike. Never had an issue. Hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Check for a missing wheel weight, tweaked front end (sometimes even just hitting a pothole the wrong way can tweak the forks) rear wheel alignment. If those easily checked things are ok then I'd suggest taking to your dealer to look into other possibilities such as bad tire etc

Do you have a lot of accessories at your bike? Uneven loading of bags etc can cause cornering issues

·
Registered
673 Posts
Any suspension mods on your bike? I replaced the rear shock on mine before putting stiffer springs up front and got a bit of head shake from the rear being much stiffer than the front. Once I replaced my fork springs, no more head shake.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Is your bike brand new? or did the wobble show up later?

If it's new the dealer did not install the front tire (or something) right and they definitely did not test ride the bike before handing over the keys. If that is the case I'd get them to fix it ASAP, and have a chat the the service manager and owner.

If it appeared later, I would suspect a bad front tire that needs to be replaced right away. I just can't see loosing a wheel weight making things that bad. Sometime hitting a pot hole is all it takes to trash a perfectly good tire.

If the front wheel was replaced recently, they should have noticed an issue with the tire when they went to balance it. Or again the new tire has separated and needs replacing.

Hopefully this isn't a case of a used bike that the previous owner messed up then sold. Which ever the case, I hope you get the wobble resolved, as something like that does not make for a fun ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts