Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Hell, a little while ago I was on a perfect road and the 09 was feeling frisky so I opened it up and all it would do was 131mph. That really sucked cause it got there quickly and wanted to keep going but it just hung at 131 nice and smooth.

Is there any new info on how to bypass the speed limiter?

Oh, by the way has anyone noticed that this triple has enough torque to smoothly take off in 2nd gear easily? If you don't wanna shift so much driving around town with a bunch of stop and gos just leave it in second - no prob.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I found it at Road Atlanta a couple of weeks ago going down the back straigth. I saw 133MPH on mine, but it didn't matter, the liter bikes were still passing me on the straight, but of course I ran it in deep on the brakes and passed them again before the turn-in for 10A. :cool:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I guess it's hard for me to relate to this post. My state doesn't have a road that I would feel comfortable doing 130+ on a bike. Years ago, when our town got a brand new 4 lane divided highway that I knew was void of any cracks, pot holes, and ruts, I was able to top out my CB750 at about 110. That seemed wicked fast to me at the time.

Our roads are just not made for that kind of deal. At least not without great peril to the rider. I guess that's why "adventure" bikes are so popular in Alaska.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
WillowBilly.........in my case, Road Atlanta is a well know Race track in Braselton, GA.......you most likely knew that, but just in case you didn't.

Track Map - Road Atlanta

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well Hell, a little while ago I was on a perfect road and the 09 was feeling frisky so I opened it up and all it would do was 131mph. That really sucked cause it got there quickly and wanted to keep going but it just hung at 131 nice and smooth.

Is there any new info on how to bypass the speed limiter?

Oh, by the way has anyone noticed that this triple has enough torque to smoothly take off in 2nd gear easily? If you don't wanna shift so much driving around town with a bunch of stop and gos just leave it in second - no prob.

I did notice that when i forgot to shift down, except i was in 3rd. I could do it on my FZ6R, but i barely noticed. I love this engine more and more every day.

Reactions: deadduck357

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it's hard for me to relate to this post. My state doesn't have a road that I would feel comfortable doing 130+ on a bike. Years ago, when our town got a brand new 4 lane divided highway that I knew was void of any cracks, pot holes, and ruts, I was able to top out my CB750 at about 110. That seemed wicked fast to me at the time.

Our roads are just not made for that kind of deal. At least not without great peril to the rider. I guess that's why "adventure" bikes are so popular in Alaska.
That sucks. Here in TX doing 131mph isn't sht, great roads everywhere, seen 186+ many times (not on the fz-09).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That sucks. Here in TX doing 131mph isn't sht, great roads everywhere, seen 186+ many times (not on the fz-09).
I just saw a news article, a guy got arrested after a chase. He just filled up and was surprised he ran out, the max speed he got quoted going was 189 lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I just saw a news article, a guy got arrested after a chase. He just filled up and was surprised he ran out, the max speed he got quoted going was 189 lol
Yeah what a dumbass. He must not known where he was going - cause he got caught.

Edit: now I'm not condoning this, just if your gonna run and your on a crotch rocket, you gotta be a dumbass to not get away. You have at least a 40 mph advantage is all I'm saying.

Also: this idiot did this in town, Dallas, where the police and DPS are everywhere.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yeah what a dumbass. He must not known where he was going - cause he got caught.

Edit: now I'm not condoning this, just if your gonna run and your on a crotch rocket, you gotta be a dumbass to not get away. You have at least a 40 mph advantage is all I'm saying.

Also: this idiot did this in town, Dallas, where the police and DPS are everywhere.
Yeah when you can outrun a chopper and you dont, you are an idiot.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Play nice, boys.
Pulling is always the best action. Everybody i know that has pulled over and been responsible and honest has either gotten a warning or a reduced ticket because the cops were surprised they actually stopped. I am not going to risk my life to avoid a fine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Pulling is always the best action. Everybody i know that has pulled over and been responsible and honest has either gotten a warning or a reduced ticket because the cops were surprised they actually stopped. I am not going to risk my life to avoid a fine.
Was moving along a back road in excess of the posted speed limit a few years ago when we crossed a county sheriff's car, he hit his lights and we hit our brakes before he could even turn around. Was off bikes with DL and insurance cards in hand when he pulled up. He was very friendly and ran our ID's. When he came back he said "I'm surprised y'all stopped" and told us to enjoy or ride and be safe. No tickets, no warnings. I think we have so many desolate back roads here that many LE figure 'no harm-no foul'. I believe LE here in Texas figure if your out away from towns and cities where speeding could cause incidents there's really no danger to innocent bystanders. I have ridden with off duty LE friends and they ride like bats outta hell on the back roads as well.

Back to the 09 though. I don't know if it's my 195 lbs or that I sit a little further back on the seat because I'm 6'2" or the strong motor or maybe the combination of all three of these but the front will come up in 3rd. Wasn't expecting it, but it has left the pavement at least twice under hard acceleration and not ripping the throttle wide open.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I was on a group ride one time with about 15 other sportbikes and at the time, I owned a 2005 CBR 1000RR. We were in mid-Missouri on a state highway (2 lane) coming down a hill into a river bottom area about a mile wide. I was second in the group and the guy in front of me tucked in and rolled it on. Of course, being the dumb-ass that I was, I tucked in and rolled it on also. About 1/2 way across the mile wide bottom, we went past a Montgomery County Sheriff car (Jeep Cherokee) going the other direction. We were at an indicated 175 MPH. He/she/whoever, didn't even turn their red lights on....we just kept rolling and turned onto another road at the first chance we got. It wasn't like we were trying to run from them, they just didn't even bother pursuing us. I certainly don't ride that way anymore....no way!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Several years ago on a back road I was with a group for sportbikes, about 7 or 8, and me on my GSX-R1000. While on a straightaway we were rolling along 125+ and crossed a highway patrol. I was either 2nd or 3rd from the front and there was no time to decel nor did we. When we came to the end of that road and after a head count we asked the guys at the rear what was the LEs response, the last few riders said they looked back and it did not hit the lights or turn around, just kept going. Again I think they think out in nowhere what's it gonna hurt.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Man, you guys are so lucky. In FLA I've been ticketed so many times by city, county, highway patrol. No mercy even for a polite gentleman with gray hair. Even been snared in notorious speed traps like Waldo, FL where AAA actually rents a billboard warning drivers. Maybe they all sense that I think most speed limits are stupid and arbitrary--and a waste of trooper time that could be better spent policing truly dangerous driving behaviors that I see every day.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Maybe they all sense that I think most speed limits are stupid and arbitrary--and a waste of trooper time that could be better spent policing truly dangerous driving behaviors that I see every day.
I wouldn't say they're entirely arbitrary, but I totally agree that stopping people for doing 5-10mph over is a waste of time. The only reason they do it is for revenue. Yet there's never a cop around when people do something that's actually dangerous.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man, you guys are so lucky. In FLA I've been ticketed so many times by city, county, highway patrol. No mercy even for a polite gentleman with gray hair. Even been snared in notorious speed traps like Waldo, FL where AAA actually rents a billboard warning drivers. Maybe they all sense that I think most speed limits are stupid and arbitrary--and a waste of trooper time that could be better spent policing truly dangerous driving behaviors that I see every day.
Get away from the city. Find some good paved country roads out in BFE.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts