Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic: Healtec – Speedo Healer - SH-V4-AB

Goals: Correct actual speed readout and remove speed limiter.

Prior to installation, the highest speed that I could reach was 132 mph. The Stoltec ECU re-flash only removed the speed limiter in my ECU (I assume, I was one of the early flashes), but had no effect on the top speed of the bike as there are more than one speed safeguards in place.

Having used Speedo Healers in the past, I am a stickler about having correct speed readouts. When I heard about the A/B feature to half my speed on one side of the readout to trick my bike into thing it was only going half as fast, I had to try it out and see if I could defeat the top speed limiter.

After installing the unit, I took the bike to one of my favorite closed course with a couple of long straights to see if it worked. As I was heading to the test track with my trusty GPS as a guide to my actual speed, I flipped the switch from normal corrected mode to half speed mode. As I suspected a blink or two and the digital dash was showing my speed cut in half. Everything was going as planned.
Once on the track, I turned on my helmet cam and proceeded to make a run, wide open in 5th and 6th gear. At full speed, tucked in, it is tricky to read the GPS and the speedometer while maintaining straight line stability, but I was able to make the following observations.

I stopped gaining speed at 139 mph (GPS readout, 69 speedometer) and my RPM’s were around 9,000 rpm with room for 2,000 rpm to redline. That is all she would do; a massive gain of 7 mph. My straight was not long enough for me to hold it there for long.

Is the speed restriction lifted on my ECU? I don’t know for sure. Is there another key to unlock the rest of the speed? I couldn't tell you. Is the bike so aerodynamically inefficient that it lacks the power in the upper RPM range to keep pulling? Your guess is as good as mine. The bummer for me is that my wife’s 2008 R6S can blow by me like I am standing still at high speed. The good news about the FZ-09 is that it gets to 120 mph in a hurry. The bad news for the track guys is that the bike needs to do 150 to prevent it from being in the way on the track. My need for more speed continues. I have eliminated one of the safeguards in place. All said and done, I now have an accurate speedometer, more research to do, and 7 more miles per hour on tap whenever I need it.

Installation instructions:

I located the Speed sensor, looked at the wires at the plug and confirmed that there was a White/Yellow wire coming from the speed sensor.

h1.jpg

I followed the wire up to the top shock mount to make an incision in the insulation and retrieve the White/Yellow wire to splice.

h5.jpg
h6.jpg

I used Posi-taps to splice the White wire from the Speedo Healer wiring harness to the Speed Sensor side of the White/Yellow wire, and I attached the Green wire from the Speedo Healer wiring harness to the other White/Yellow wire on the ECU side of the bike.

h7.jpg
h8.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I found a convenient location to Velcro mount the main unit under the lean angle sensor behind the tank so that I could easily get to it to calibrate the A and B speed values from the online calculator.

h9.jpg
h2.jpg

Next I ran the other wiring harness for the switch up the brake side of the frame rail to the front of the bike following the main wiring harness towards the headlight. I decided to cut off the supplied toggle switch and use a Trail Tech waterproof rocker switch and mount it in the bottom corner of the front plastic cover of the gas tank. The hole size is ¾”.

h10.jpg

Calibration information:

h11a.jpg
h11b.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
i wonder if it has a timing retarder that comes on in 5th and 6th like some crotch rockets have. i if so i wonder how long it will be before bazzaz or some on makes a zbomb or something like it

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks for the report. Did you test top speed in both 5th and 6th? Maybe a sprocket change to put 6th between the stock 5th and 6th would give a higher top speed? You will be able to correct your speedo lol.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not going to change the rear sprocket because I like the gearing for 99% of my riding habits, but good thought. Just when I was getting used to having a gear readout, you go and mention that Marthy. That might be the ticket. To reiterate, I did go past the 132 mph threshold, in much hotter weather, with poorer air quality than I set before, which makes no sense.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had a similar problem. With no speedo healer and a 17t sprocket, pulled hard to 146. Set speedo healer so while cluster is in kmh mode, it will measure in mph, therefore limiting it to 211. Tested it out and went slower, about 140mph. Maybe not scale it in half, but maybe just enough to hit 150, like 15% less

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If that is the case with the sprocket, then there is something tied to the RPM's. I am wondering if my flash did not take the limit off of the RPM's.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well at 146, the rpms were at 10000 as usual in 5th, after the healer trick it maxed at a 9750 or so. I'm not sure but it might have some problem thinking it's doing 75 when it's under full load at 140. Maybe it won't be as bad when it's thinking it at 130 when really at 150.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will calibrate to 70% and give it a try. I was getting major RPM's in fifth, but only 9,000 in 6th. It could have been 10,000, but it has hard as hell to see the bar graph through my vibrating glasses. I will put tape above it and mark 10,000 to see if it goes below or above the mark.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sounds like the limiter is also rpm/throttle opening limited by which gear it's in.....

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, back to the drawing board. I am afraid that I am going to have to check the flash of my ECU when I am near the Dragon's Tail in the not so far off future. I like to ride Deals Gap in the mid to late fall when visibility and traffic are best.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I had a similar problem. With no speedo healer and a 17t sprocket, pulled hard to 146. Set speedo healer so while cluster is in kmh mode, it will measure in mph, therefore limiting it to 211. Tested it out and went slower, about 140mph. Maybe not scale it in half, but maybe just enough to hit 150, like 15% less
i agree - it's possible the ecu might not like that massive discrepancy between the halved speedo signal, and the gear position/rpm.

in other words, the ecu knows your gear position, rpm, and the indicated speed. maybe it's comparing the indicated speed to the speed that it knows a stock bike should be doing in the gear you're in at the rpm's you're at. it will allow for some reasonable wiggle room (different tire sizes, gearing changes, etc.), but stray too far from that and it will step in.

doug, try setting the healer to 10-15% less, instead of 50%.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the stock throttle and ignition maps:

top left is the 5th gear throttle map, top right is the 6th gear throttle map, and bottom left is the ignition timing map for gears 3-6.

you can see in 5th gear at full throttle the ecu dials the throttles back a bit past 10k rpm. same thing in 6th at 8500. there's also some timing pulled in those regions.

these restrictions are pretty obvious when you look at the maps so it was among the first things addressed by nick and flash-tune.

but nobody expected the ecu to be this determined to keep us from going past 132.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What if the ECU is using multiple signals to limit itself. Say you have the the speedo, gear, and RPM. If the speedo is off but your still hitting 10k in 5th gear, it limits, and vise versa. My thought is you're gonna have to fool more than one system to get past the 130s.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to try a 15% correction, so my cluster should read 119 at 140 mph. If I can get the readout to 132, then I will be going 152. That would make me happy enough.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts