Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I doubt anyone will know the answer to this question, what the heck? A couple of threads have mentioned some specific questions and answers about the Yammy OEM gps mount, but I couldn’t find anyone address mine: Will it work with any product other than a zumo? I bought the Yamaha mount, and my plan is to put the gps front and center on it, with my phone or music device off to the left on a RAM mount. Just using my cell phone’s gps for directions won’t help, as most of my riding is in areas in the rural TN, KY and NC hills where there’s no cell service, so I have to have a gps.

I’ve already paid for the OEM mount and like the location, but want to know if I have any other options before I bite the bullet and choke back the bile, and cough up the greenbacks for a zumo.
The description vaguely and ambiguously says it works with “most” gps units. I know this includes the zumo, which of course would cover “most” of the motorcycle-specific gps unit sales, and so would technically be correct in the product materials, but as we all know, the zumo is also “most” expensive.

Frankly, I doubt I have any other options, but does anyone know if the holes on the OEM gps mount will line up with anything else, such as the TomTom Rider? Is any aftermarket adapter unit available which would allow any other gps to match up?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any knowledge to impart.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I use a Garmin car GPS ($100 lifetime Updates with BaseCamp) that I totally waterproofed and it has been in monsoons, hail, and snow without a problem. RAM ball mount in place of one of the handlebar clamp screws, rotating arm, and RAM mount to fit my GPS. My only complaint is that the screen can be difficult to see without covering it with my hand with sunlight directly behind me (Night Mode helps). There is a YouTube Video on how to waterproof the screen with silicone and post-it notes. Also, I used Scotchcal door edge guard tape to tape over the On/Off button and MicroSD ports.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After contacting all concerned, confirmed that the Rider won't fit the Yamaha mount, and no Garmin car GPS can be fitted to take the motorcycle bracket which comes with the zumo and lines up with the holes in the Yamaha mount. So...yeah. If, like me, anyone else here is in love with the location and rigidity of the Yamaha stock mount, and/or ordered it and is bleepin' determined to use it, your only option is a zumo, or be able to fab something up on your own. I just applied vaseline, bent over, and ordered a zumo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts