Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

The good folks at Moto-Heaven are reaching out and providing us with a sweet deal for our FZ-09!

They are offering us the Zeta handguards with integrated LED turn signals for $124.85 shipped!
This deal is good until 12/31/13!.. would make a perfect Holiday present. ;)

To receive the FZ forum deal simply follow these easy steps:

1. Add your preferred ZETA XC FLASH PROTECTOR to the shopping cart.
2. Add your preferred ZETA ARMOR HAND GUARDS Bend to the shopping cart.
3. Enter "FZNINER" as the promotional code!
4. Enjoy your sweet new handguards!

I received mine today and will be installing them as soon as I have some free time!

And I can't post a thread without pictures:

I'll post my install pictures soon!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

12/10/13 Edit: INSTALL TIME!

Let's start with the obligatory "before" picture:

The goodies that are about to grace the Niner!

Tools needed: 8, 6, 5, 4 mm allen keys.

Remove the stock bar ends.
These bar ends are heavy-fuggin'-duty! An 8 mm allen key and some strength should get them off.

These clamps are "idiot proof" - notice the "L" for left.
The 2 "top" bolts are 5 mm and the one "right" bolt is 6 mm.

While I'm here... might as well make me some ghetto shorty levers. They will have to suffice until I get a legit set of 434 Racer shorty levers.

Test fit the bracket loosely.
Try not to interfere with any existing cables.

Follow along with me here!
This is the hardware you'll be using for the bar end.
Obviously I didn't show the handguard bracket here...
If it's not obvious, the handguard bracket goes between the boltand the middle spacer.

Just a little trick I learned from installing these before on the KLX: Add one rotation of electrical tape to help it from slipping when you tighten it later on.

Loosely test fit again.
*Notice my "ghetto shorty lever". ;)

That looks about right... Tighten it down if you're happy.

One side installed.
The plastic handguards use two 4 mm allen bolts to secure them onto the bracket.

Obligatory comparison photo.

!Very important! When installing the throttle (right) side, make sure to use the provided plastic "spacer"! It's supposed to prevent the throttle tube from sticking to the handguards.
In my case, the throttle was as smooth as butter after the install.

No worries... they're bright!

Oh yeah!

I don't know about you guys... but I love it.
Last comparison picture... I SWEAR!

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet thanks, how much will they help with wind chill in the morning? How long will they keep this deal
I had this same exact setup on my mini-motard (KLX250SF) and it actually helped with the wind chill a lot.

Regarding the duration of the deal... let me get a hold of my contact, Phil, at Moto-Heaven and ask about that.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
It is a two wire flasher, so you loose the running lights unless you get a kit to convert them. I am not going to do that, but I do have accessory Yamaha connectors.

In action:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is this a no fuss installation? I wont be ordering the blinker style. But I want to know whats going on at the bar ends. What happens to my bar ends? Does this mount behind them? Over them? Replace them? Do I have to alter them?

My bars are stock except for Oxford heated grips.

Im tight on money after purchasing the niner and wouldnt want to run into any unexpected additional costs or alterations I dont have the tools for.

I got them in my cart but am reluctant to pull the trigger.

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this a no fuss installation? On a fuss level of 1 [low] to 10 [high]... I'd give this a 2.5!
I wont be ordering the blinker style. But I want to know whats going on at the bar ends. What happens to my bar ends? Does this mount behind them? Over them? Replace them? Do I have to alter them? The bar ends will be replaced by this kit.

My bars are stock except for Oxford heated grips. I mounted mine on the stock bars with no issues!

Im tight on money after purchasing the niner and wouldnt want to run into any unexpected additional costs or alterations I dont have the tools for. The only thing I did (the reason I gave this a 2.5 instead of a 1) was Dremel down my stock levers an inch. But I don't think that was completely necessary.

I got them in my cart but am reluctant to pull the trigger. Don't be trigger shy. ;)
See the above responses in red/bold.

Edit: I'll be posting my install photos in less than an hour. :D

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Bar ends go away. I installed Fast Company dampers to reduce vibration somewhat. This is totally a personal preference thing. The bars are a little lower. I am a tall guy used to a sportbike, plus I wanted black bars.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Would you mind sharing how you hooked-up the electrical side (i.e. blinkers) as well? Unfortunately, I don't know too much about that.

Also, will the full-length levers fit?

Thanks in advance!

-Brian-

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would you mind sharing how you hooked-up the electrical side (i.e. blinkers) as well? Unfortunately, I don't know too much about that.

Also, will the full-length levers fit?

Thanks in advance!

-Brian-
I'll do a separate write up for the electrical.
I'm just waiting on my Yamaha connectors to come in so it will be a plug'n'play!
Also, the stock levers might fit in there if you rotate the handguard and/or levers.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I used heat shrink butt connectors. Too late to do a DYI for me on the wiring. Also, my aftermarket levers fit, but I always ride with my levers turned down a bit from an aggressive riding position from my motocross days.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts