Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same issue with the sputtering at light load conditions. It does it at a steady state cruise in 2nd and 3rd gear @ around 3500-4500 but not all the time. Its quite annoying honestly, almost seems like a misfire. Their was another member of this forum that was having the same issue and he said it was resolved after changing out the ignition coils. I haven't made it that far yet, plan on tearing the bike down soon.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Going with the title of the post, the plugs look fine.
No erosion on either the electrode or side wire.
No leaking around the base where the ceramic insulator goes into the plug body.

Were the plugs tight when you took them out, or was there barely any load on them?

As for the mixture, that's another story. No comment from me on that - above my pay grade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Well I sent my ECU out and we tried both leaning it out and richening it and it still is doing it. I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do at this point. Maybe stock exhaust. I don't know...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I sent my ECU out and we tried both leaning it out and richening it and it still is doing it. I'm at a loss. Not sure what to do at this point. Maybe ignition coils, maybe stock exhaust. I don't know...
I just pulled my plugs, having the same intermittent sputter issue at steady state. My plugs look very similar to yours after 7500mi. Issue didn't start until I put the aftermarket exhaust on (M4 slip on). I also sent my ECU back for a second tune as well and still the same issue. Only happens below 5K in 2nd and 3rd gear. All cylinders seem to be burning the same based on the plugs so I would say the coils aren't the issue, but I'm no expert. Throwing in fresh plugs and a high flow air filter tomorrow, updates will follow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just pulled my plugs, having the same intermittent sputter issue at steady state. My plugs look very similar to yours after 7500mi. Issue didn't start until I put the aftermarket exhaust on (M4 slip on). I also sent my ECU back for a second tune as well and still the same issue. Only happens below 5K in 2nd and 3rd gear. All cylinders seem to be burning the same based on the plugs so I would say the coils aren't the issue, but I'm no expert. Throwing in fresh plugs and a high flow air filter tomorrow, updates will follow.
I got 2500kms on my bike. The last 1000 with the M4. I can also hear the "sputtering". I can only hear it...it is not actually effecting the bike in anyway. I am gonna go out on a limb and say its normal. Aftermarket exhaust allow you to hear more engine bits and load. The bike could have been very well doing it with the OEM exhaust but you can't hear it through all the restrictions.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I got 2500kms on my bike. The last 1000 with the M4. I can also hear the "sputtering". I can only hear it...it is not actually effecting the bike in anyway. I am gonna go out on a limb and say its normal. Aftermarket exhaust allow you to hear more engine bits and load. The bike could have been very well doing it with the OEM exhaust but you can't hear it through all the restrictions.
You are correct in the fact that the aftermarket exhaust is free flow, no cat on most unless you install them. So hearing more of the engine is partly why you put on an aftermarket exhaust.

Is the sputtering issue with the m4 more of a good sputter, without missing? that is normal. With a aftermarket full exhaust (including headers, not the m4) it ends up being a glorious exhaust note.

Or is your engine sputtering, missing and not accelerating with the twist of your wrist, that is another issue.

My best advice is when modding - modd "ONE THING AT A TIME". That way if something goes wrong, you can track it down.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
CB is correct. Install the new plugs, go for a ride and see what you have.
Then you can install the new air filter and go for another ride.
Also, like CB said, that Two Bros system is just one big series of holes from the front to the back so some burble could be the result of virtually no restriction.
I'm surprised someone here hasn't suggested a throttle body sync which might be worth a try.
Personally I'm guessing you have some sort of air leak or poor sealing exhaust gasket.
Keep at it and be sure to let us know the solution.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
This sounds like another thread from months ago. That splutter is probably exhaust burbling through lean light load mixture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah I bought a heat gun and all the headers are about the same temp of each other, so I don't think it's coils. It does seem a bit better after new plugs. I'm thinking I might try the new exhaust gaskets and see if that helps. Otherwise I agree, I'm thinking it might just be a bit lean since I am getting some louder popping on decel.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If your stuck again (concerning the sputtering) and you haven't completed a throttle body sync, like shamrock suggested earlier, id do one.

Lets step back a bit, are you having vibrations in the bar, as well as the sputtering? Are your foot pegs vibrating more so? This bike (FZ 09) doesn't vibrate much, if at all, when tuned correctly. With your mileage (5,000 +) and no TB sync, that could be it, just saying. It is an easy thing to do, watch the video by twowheelobseesion for a TB sync, easy as pie.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/8-fz-09-pictures-videos/39585-how-do-throttle-body-sync-video.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now that you say that, yes I feel like my footpegs buzz a lot. A lot more than I think they should. Maybe I should start with the TB sync.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That would be a good next step. The tool i use is what twowheelobsession suggests to use. The Morgan Carbtune pro 4 column tool. its around $100 to $130 - it does an excellent job. There are other TB tools, but this one is simple and you can use it for any bike in the future as long as its 4 cylinders or less (hence the 4 columns).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Changed the air filter, re-gapped the old plugs and threw them back in. Plugs looked fine. Still have the same issues. I've had several people outside of this forum suggest syncing the throttle bodies as well so I think that will be the next step for me as well!

·
Registered
514 Posts
The only way to take plug readings is a full throttle run with an ignition cut out the end.
This means: brand new plugs, redline in 4th gear, hold it for awhile, kill the engine and coast to a stop. Get out the [Champion] plug reader and look way down at the base of the porcelain and where the metal meet. Brown = Safe. Gray = Lean is Mean. Gray makes HP. Brown it too fat [safe] rich.

This shows the actual reading under load without idle and part throttle operation affecting the plugs.
Where if it was a carb, then low/mid/main are all combined to show the true color. Same goes for injectors if redline is met, etc.

Mine always look white/grey since we went to unleaded gas here.
The emissions are safe lean is why gray shows safe/mean is lean anyway.

And keep in mind that modern engines run quite lean when not at full load.
Keep in mind the bike would overheat, score pistons being way too lean is back to lean is mean.

If the bikes running fine, I'd check the gaps and put them back.
Where the flash shows rich at low speeds where a pc shows you do not add fuel to low rpm, so you do not mess with the first two columns adding fuel. A plug will misfire no matter the rpm. No misfire at high rpm, it's not the plug.

Signed,
NOLTT (no one listens to turtle)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So just an update for anyone still following or who checks this out in the future. I did a TBS and they were dead on. Like not even a single adjustment. Brought to a shop around here and the mechanic rode it and said he could tell what I was talking about, but thought most people wouldn’t even realize it and would be totally satisfied with it. Well I wasn’t, so I got my hands on a stock exhaust. Put that on and it’s smooth as butter. My issue turned out to be the two bros S1R exhaust. Basically all I can come up with is that it’s basically a short and straight pipe with no twists or anything and there wasn’t enough back pressure, hence the sputter at low speeds. Once you were at highway speeds it was fine, but around town was terrible. I’m now a happy rider, minus the sexy exhaust note I got with an aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've read a few posts where the TB readings were where they were suppose to be from the factory, it would be a fluke if Yamaha let one go without.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've read a few posts where the TB readings were where they were suppose to be from the factory, it would be a fluke if Yamaha let one go without.
I have not checked mine I have over 9000 miles.
In your experience how often does it really need the job done?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I do mine yearly, or 10,000km's with plugs and filter

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have not checked mine I have over 9000 miles.
In your experience how often does it really need the job done?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
unless the bike was really running like poo,

I wouldn't take it apart to check.

this is the first motorcycle I have had that even has a "tbs sync" so it would be new terrority to me, I don't even have the tool to do it with,

if the bike was running like poo and I suspected it to be the throttle body, I would just pay to have the 'tbs sync' done,

I have around the same mileage as you, and my bike still runs like new.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts