Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not removed anything from my bike yet/except the seat. It looks like I have to remove the tank and maybe the air box to gain access to the spark plugs? Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Swinging the radiator forward, out of the way makes access to that area easier too.

Reactions: andy8199

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm looking at doing some maintenance work on the bike tomorrow and would like to know if the plugs could be swapped by swinging the radiator out like Vern said, or if that's just a PITA and better to pull the tank.
I don't want to dent up the radiator etc. (maybe cover w cardboard) and it looks pretty tight under there.
Anyone want to confirm that they can be swapped by going behind radiator?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm looking at doing some maintenance work on the bike tomorrow and would like to know if the plugs could be swapped by swinging the radiator out like Vern said, or if that's just a PITA and better to pull the tank.
I don't want to dent up the radiator etc. (maybe cover w cardboard) and it looks pretty tight under there.
Anyone want to confirm that they can be swapped by going behind radiator?
Thanks!
Just changed my plugs today...how is that for timing!

Don't know it you could get at the plugs from the front. I pulled the tank cuz I had to send off my ECU to Vcyclenut for his magic flash. Plus when it is time to do the plugs it is also time for a new air filter.

The coil tubes take some coaxing to get them off the plugs. Hands only just wont cut it. You need to apply some gentle force with a pry tool to get them unseated. I used a tire tool under the tab where the wire plugs in. Its also a good idea to remove the wire as the coil tubes are pretty long and the wire just gets in the way.

The plugs are a ways down. I used a 6 inch extension and a universal on the plug socket. I don't think the extension would fit under the airbox if you try and do the job from the front.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
... Plus when it is time to do the plugs it is also time for a new air filter.
? Do you deal with extreme dusty conditions? The air filter recommended replacement is every 24,000 miles as opposed to 8,000 miles for the plugs...?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
? Do you deal with extreme dusty conditions? The air filter recommended replacement is every 24,000 miles as opposed to 8,000 miles for the plugs...?
The filter still looked pretty clean but since I was already in there whats another $25.

Speaking of plugs, I checked the gap on the used plugs and the had burned about 1/1000th an inch.

This is in spec and they looked pretty good still.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good to hear about the plugs still looking good. Doing a plug replacement at 8,000 miles seems too soon. I will put mine off till 12K miles or until I feel a drop in power before hand.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I read these threads, and realize that I never get through one set of tires, one set of plugs, one air filter, or more than two oil changes on any bike. But if I do someday, these threads will be of great assistance.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I read these threads, and realize that I never get through one set of tires, one set of plugs, one air filter, or more than two oil changes on any bike. But if I do someday, these threads will be of great assistance.
Huh?

Are you saying you get a new bike several times a year?

Must bee nice!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Uhh, no. But I only see my house 3 days/nights per week. Which makes riding a true luxury. 160 hotel stays per year :)
The life of a pilot...that sounds real familiar. Clocking hotel time.

If I could have a 5 spot for every nite in a hotel....I would be a wealthy man!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
True, true.

Logging 900hrs/yr of jet PIC time, means very little logging of FZ09 single pilot time :). And then winter steals 4 months.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
True, true.

Logging 900hrs/yr of jet PIC time, means very little logging of FZ09 single pilot time :). And then winter steals 4 months.
Might be time to be talking to your union rep. Lol.

Wow that is hard core. I do around 300 a year but ya gotta consider in the Beechjet our average stage length is about an hour.

We have quite a few "commuter airline days" where we may do 3 to 6 legs.

Im getting too old for this dog and pony show. That's why I am gonna retire next year.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm out at 55...

We average 2-3 legs/day, stage length 2.5-4 hours. In the past 11 years I've amassed about. 10,000 hours of jet time. By the time I retire, I will probably be right near 26,000 hours of just jet time.

The unions are in bed with airline mgt., no one cares about me, but me... And the FAA panders to them as well.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm out at 55...

We average 2-3 legs/day, stage length 2.5-4 hours. In the past 11 years I've amassed about. 10,000 hours of jet time. By the time I retire, I will probably be right near 26,000 hours of just jet time.

The unions are in bed with airline mgt., no one cares about me, but me... And the FAA panders to them as well.
Amen brother. I did 13 years with the commuters. Corporate now since 1998. Been there, done that, got a closet full of T-shirts!

When I retire it will have been a 30+ year career.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts