Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

SP from Portugal

6K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  MK3Brent 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I just received my SP about a week ago. Due to shortage had to wait about 3 months until I got my hands on one. As soon as they would come in they would be sold immediately, so I decided to put a downpayment on one and finally received it!

Except my first bike I have always had sportbikes
Ducati 696, 2007 CBR600RR, 2010 CBR1000RR, 2015 R1...

The R1 was just silly to ride on the street and I almost lost my license. I decided to sell it and bought an MT09 instead. Was deciding between duke 890 R and triumph Street triple R, but ultimately Japanese reliability won me over.

I have a dedicated track bike, a 2008 R6, so did not want to have another sportbike for the street.

I am still in the break in period so dont have much too say but my first impressions are:

Brakes are horrible, hopefully once the pads are bed in they feel a bit better, otherwise will change the pads for brembo z04 or similar. Of course my reference is my track back and probably not a fair comparison.

Engine seems incredible, but everyone knows this already.

Riding position was very akward at first at it is so different then what I am used to. I will be getting rearsets and a new bar once I figure out what I want.

I cannot really comment regarding the handling as I have not push it yet.

Shifter feels nice.

I have ordered some rearsets mainly because I ride motogp shift. I found some rearsets that seem to do the trick, but I have not received them yet.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

See less See more
#13 ·
Hi I ordered some from Valter moto. They are italian and I have used their rearsets on my trackbike before. Their website does not list a 2021 MT09 fitment, but they said they have in stock some that they ensured me would fit. I have ordered a street oriented version (with foldable foot pegs and rubber shift peg) and it is on way here, conceptually they should work as long as they fit properly. I cannot say if they actually work and fit properly yet. If they do, I will share it here. I contacted all the reputable rearset companies I know and none of them have rearsets that allow for reverse shift and stock QS/blipper still functioning. Gilles as you know provide the yamaha rearsets as an accessory, but they do not allow for reverse shift (Gilles confirmed this). Now I am riding with stock rearsets and shifter arm rotated, but I have turned QS/Blipper function off. Woodcraft mentioned that they are working on a prototype that should be ready at the end of the year, but could not make any promises on delivery date and would most likely be more expensive then the ones I have ordered. Hope this helps.

#15 ·
On the QS system…

I haven’t seen the ‘21 up close yet, and I’ve never owned a quick-shifter, but once you’ve switched to GP shift, is there no way to just flip the shift rod upside down so it works properly? I assume there are threaded left- and right-hand Heim joints, so those would have to be swapped. Are they machine-pressed into place?

I can’t believe Yamaha finally designed the shifter area so you could easily reverse the shift direction, but then made it impossible for the QS to work that way… 🤦🏻‍♂️

#16 ·
The issue is that the stock signal relates a downshift with a push signal and and upshift with a pull signal. There is no logic that we have access to that can change that relationship besides physically flipping the sensor signals, which theoretically should work.

With the latest gen R1, it was possible to change the mounting point of the shifting rod on the foot side so at least in the case of the 2015 the QS worked with reverse shift. I just had to tap the hole on the foot shifter that was already there. Such a solution would have been great from Yamaha, but I guess they figured that most people will not have this requirement.

#17 ·
I think if I bought a new MT (or the next gen XSR if it has the QS), I would just disable the QS like you did, or even replace it with a solid rod, and shift the old fashioned way. I’m not racing this thing, so losing .01 sec every time I upshift really isn’t a big concern for me. 😂

On a side note, I think you need to tell us the story behind your avatar pic! 😳

#20 ·
Yeah I agree with you for street riding It is not necessary, actually I prefer to do the downshifts blipping manually. Since the bike came with this functionality I want to make it work.
For track riding I love my translogic qs and blipper!

Haha yeah regarding my Avatar pic I used to live in Germany and the polizei there are quite strict! Almost lost my license once day because I was allegedly racing on the street with my R1, which I was not! I was speeding though and filtering through traffic (I accept the punishment for that!), but they could not accuse me of speeding unless they measure my speed or follow a detailed procedure of following me for some period of time to assess my speed. Needless to say they were pissed that I was breaking the law, but could not do anything about it. So evidently they were following me for quite some time with the siren on, but I had a very loud R1 with Akra...so when I finally stopped at a red light they caught up to me and I saw them and thought owwww shit...They jumped out of the car and right away they pulled the key out of the motorbike as if I was going to escape. I was thinking if I wanted to run away you would never catch me...Anyway since they had no evidence of me speeding they did the worst possible punishment for me, which is accusing me of racing. My response was who was I racing??? and they mentioned that I can have a race alone. No point in arguing. Some background on this is that there were some high profile car racing though Berlin´s streets leading to the death of individuals not involved in the race, so the Polizei was given the right to accuse people of racing without evidence. The kind polizist even said to me that if it was up to him he would take my license for ever. Long story short they impounded the R1 and took my driver´s license. One month later I receive a letter from a judge after reviewing my case saying that there was not enough evidence to accuse me of anything so he returned my license and I was able to pick up my R1. Fortunately my R1 was kept nice and dry in a garage next to quite a few AMG Mercedes... At least the judge was honorable and reviewed my case with an unbiased pov.

Germany where you can drive unrestricted on the Autobahn but get in trouble if you run a red light with a bicycle (yes has happened to me!) I have many many stories to tell about my adventures in Germany!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.