Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so proud of myself this winter because I would ride in any temperature as long as there was no ice on the road.

Now, it is so hot and humid, that I flat out refuse to get on the bike. Part of it is that I will only ride if I'm wearing as much gear as humanely possible. It's 88 and humid here. I'm hoping it will cool down later. We are supposed to go to the Ephrata bike thing on Sunday and I'm supposed to take BRC II on Saturday.

At what point will you ride (heat)? And when will you take your car, if you have that option?

(As an aside, I got my old mountain bike out of my garage, haven't been on it in long time. I'm over the top with the ATGATT, but plan on riding my bike with sneakers, a tank top, and shorts, with no helmet...guess I could always wear the MC stuff..kidding)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Living in Texas I have no choice but to ride in the heat. I wear a mesh jacket with CE armor, helmet, gloves, and then jeans and shoes.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'll ride in any type of heat - usually over 85 degrees i take my camelback pack i wear when i mtn bike with me on the moto - i had a few times where i was so overheated after a ride that i felt like i was going to pass out with all my gear on. Staying hydrated is huge.

From a gear perspective - if you wear no gear in really hot temps - you actually raise your body temperature because your sweat is being blown off as you ride making you hotter. Wearing gear helps the sweat stay on your body and cools you when it's hit by the wind.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
learn to hydrate, keep air flow moving and keep parts wetted so they cool you as they dry.

Mesh gear is great for keeping the air flow going.

A cotton shirt holds lots of water and will cool you as it dries. You can also use a wet neckerchief wrapped around your neck and it will cool your head a great deal.

Riding distance, I soak my legs during stops and let the airflow cool me off as I ride.

I've ridden in temps up to about 120 and raced in temps well above that in full leathers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jacket and gloves are usually hanging up when it gets over 85 degrees. GASP!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a mesh jacket I wore last season and it was great for air flow, but I read something about how mesh will melt into you if you crash, so I won't ride with that jacket now.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have a mesh jacket I wore last season and it was great for air flow, but I read something about how mesh will melt into you if you crash, so I won't ride with that jacket now.
Never heard of that. Maybe if you crash at 200 MPH and you slide for 1/2 mile until you stop... LOL mesh are not the greatest but a good trade off. They will hold much better than short, jeans and t-shirt and still flow a fair amount of air once you get moving. I won't wear full leather cruising around in traffic either.

·
Registered
176 Posts
when i sweat more than walking to X destination.

no shit sherlock 37 deg c temps and 90% humidity aint no joke.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Honestly, venting wise, i feel like my Astars jaws perf leather jacket and viper air textile jacket vent about the same - but at a stop - the leather gets hot really damn quick (it's a good 5lbs heavier). I dont think i'd worry about melting textile if its from a good brand and you didnt buy it off ebay for 20 bucks :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The melting thing was from AVRider. They were discussing Aerostitch and Motorport.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
43 Posts
In Alabama the heat and humidity will be in the 80s-90s a lot this time of year. I wear textile gear with mesh panels but I don't ride from around 12-5pm. If I'm going to ride I do it early in the morning or late in the evening this time of year. It's just no fun feeling like I have a hair dryer pointed at me.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a selection of gear which will allow me to ride in any temperatures we might see here in PA. It's important to note that sport-style riding jackets typically offer _far_ superior ventilation to anything marketed towards cruiser riders. Your current riding jacket by Schott doesn't have much in the way of concessions for venting. If you purchased the jacket that matched your new pants I think you'll be singing a different tune entirely. My leather sport jacket is comfortable up to temps in the mid 90s (as long as you're not stuck sitting in traffic). And I have a Dainese mesh jacket for if it ever gets hotter than that, also good for use in hotter temps where I might be sitting in traffic (such as commuting to and from work in 85+ degree weather).

·
Registered
190 Posts
It would have to be around 39-40+ Celsius or 100+ Fahrenheit for me to consider not riding because of the heat, where I live we don't have problems like that though. If I could move somewhere warm South of the border and still work I would, unfortunately work visa's are stupid hard to get so my family is stuck here where although probably the best place weather wise in this Country is still not that great compared to places like California.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Come to the central coast of California. Problem solved.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
From a gear perspective - if you wear no gear in really hot temps - you actually raise your body temperature because your sweat is being blown off as you ride making you hotter. Wearing gear helps the sweat stay on your body and cools you when it's hit by the wind.
Sorry Beck, I have to raise the BS flag on this one. Sweat cools your body via the energy consumed in the phase change of evaporation...so it doesn't matter if you have air flowing around you, or still air, when the sweat evaporates off of you, the same energy is consumed no matter what. In fact, as long as the ambient temperature is below body temp, having moving air next to your skin will cool you off more than being covered because that air is constantly sucking heat out of your skin and surface capillaries.

The result is, wearing gear is in fact hotter than no gear...although you do risk sun burn and radiation heating with no gear in extreme sun...but well vented (even perforated leather) gear will do a reasonable job as long as you keep moving. If you get stuck in traffic, well you are SOL then.

Suck it up fellas, any day riding on 2 wheels is a good day...there's nothing I wouldn't give to be sweating in my gear right now!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Jen, I hate the heat too. Let's move to North Dakota:cool:

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The melting thing was from AVRider. They were discussing Aerostitch and Motorport.
that kind of sounds like nonsense (think about the physics)...maybe if your muffler lands on the fabric or something...but in a long slide the mesh will not hold up as well, and the road will 'melt' your flesh away...but IMO summer textile gear is a good option for hot weather

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Sorry Beck, I have to raise the BS flag on this one. Sweat cools your body via the energy consumed in the phase change of evaporation...so it doesn't matter if you have air flowing around you, or still air, when the sweat evaporates off of you, the same energy is consumed no matter what. In fact, as long as the ambient temperature is below body temp, having moving air next to your skin will cool you off more than being covered because that air is constantly sucking heat out of your skin and surface capillaries.

The result is, wearing gear is in fact hotter than no gear...although you do risk sun burn and radiation heating with no gear in extreme sun...but well vented (even perforated leather) gear will do a reasonable job as long as you keep moving. If you get stuck in traffic, well you are SOL then.

Suck it up fellas, any day riding on 2 wheels is a good day...there's nothing I wouldn't give to be sweating in my gear right now!

This sounds like someone who'll be riding again sooner than we ALL thought:clock:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts