Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the other topic about rear shock, I did the Power Commander and block off plates,

along with ECU flash from Stoltec.

When I applied the decal, was thinking their slogan could be: " Roll it like ya Stole it. : :cool:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Block off Plates and some wiring from Power Commander which has a map for Graves pipe.

Asked them to install map since I couldn't get the file to open from their web site.

Graves full pipe installed.

After some miles, I'll run it over to Lee's ( in San Diego ) since they already mapped one for somebody.

Reactions: skooter65

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The same bike, # 2, which had the cross thread fork cap from the factory,

and a couple of handlebar zip ties missing, had no washer on the top , right radiator mount.

You can tell by the rubber there was never a washer, just an allen screw was there.

Had tilted radiator forward to make it easier to do install of block off plates.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
according to the parts fiche, there isn't a washer on the right radiator mount, only on the left.
When i replaced mine i didn't have a washer either, i did spend an hour trying to find it before i gave up though!

Reactions: LehighLuke

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
according to the parts fiche, there isn't a washer on the right radiator mount, only on the left.
Doesn't make any sense why there wouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Doesn't make any sense why there wouldn't be.
Change things up...the Japanese get bored too, that island is pretty small.

Reactions: knobbyaddiction

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm a bit new to motorcycles, what would the block off plates do?

I saw the parts on Graves and tried doing a little research but it got a bit technical on me. Something about airflow. :p

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm a bit new to motorcycles, what would the block off plates do?

I saw the parts on Graves and tried doing a little research but it got a bit technical on me. Something about airflow. :p
Block the AIS system. Doesn't dump air in the exhaust to burn the unburn fuel... in our words, less exhaust popping on deceleration.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Block the AIS system. Doesn't dump air in the exhaust to burn the unburn fuel... in our words, less exhaust popping on deceleration.
Ah cool, that makes sense. Probably a good idea to buy those with a full system change to avoid that popping!

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Curious to your findings on the combination for the ECU flash + Graves exhaust + PCV.. please let us know what you find.

Thx

·
Registered
644 Posts
So did tipping the radiator forward give you enough access to get the plugs out, if you needed to?
Could be easier than going in via the tank and air box

·
Registered
644 Posts
That would be the way to do it (full system). Just putting block-off plates on makes the Cat converter work harder and run hotter.
Would it be noticeable... not sure.
Ah cool, that makes sense. Probably a good idea to buy those with a full system change to avoid that popping!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So did tipping the radiator forward give you enough access to get the plugs out, if you needed to?
Could be easier than going in via the tank and air box
I would probably still go for the plugs from the top.

Having all the smog crap out of the way makes it quicker to get air box out and back in,

as well as easier access to plugs.

Tilting radiator forward made it easier to get the screws out and back in for the plates.

Screws have some sort of Loctite, so they were stiff all the way out.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW: The hose pliers in the picture make it a lot easier to squeeze and remove the

fuel line disconnect.

The squeeze area ( blue squares ) are too hard to squeeze with just fingers, and a flush surface

makes it easier to squeeze with the ends of the pliers that can go deeper than the flush area around blue square.

Small curved needle pliers used for vent lines and to squeeze release levers on electrical connectors.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dolan, I don't recall seeing such pliers before, what are they called and where do you get them etc?
Harbor Freight, hose pliers.

Auto Zone may also have them.

They come in different shapes and sizes.

Shorty ratcheting 14 mm combo wrench is great for fork preload adjustment and fits in tool pouch.

Reactions: v2Bob
1 - 19 of 19 Posts