Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I was heading to work. It was a sunny 45 out at 8AM which is warmer than it's been lately. I like to hit up some of my favorite local twisties before heading the 56 miles to work. I went and took my favorite right handed hair pin and got my knee down and took the turn perfectly. Great start to the day. Then I pulled up to the stop sign and wasn't paying attention to the fact that this road had not been swept yet and there was a pile of sand before the stop sign. My front tire locked and I dropped her at like 10mph. Big sweeping line through the sand when It obviously just slid. I don't blame the sand because with street riding you really should be aware of your surroundings at all times. This is just a further reminder to myself to pay attention to sand and not just pull up aggressively to every stop sign.

GRRRR I haven't dropped a bike in 4+ years and over 50k miles and now I drop my brand new FZ09. Well at least I got that out of the way.

Thankfully there isn't too too much damage and I was fully geared so I'm perfectly fine.

Scratched throttlemeister bar end and lever

Scratched Stator Cover

Frame slider is scratched up

Rear left peg is a little scratched and is making a weird vibration when engine braking.

Left front turn signal is effed up. Any suggestions of new turn signals?

It looks like my handlebars are bent maybe a quarter of an inch inwards on the left bar. Maybe this is an opportunity to get a little more aggressive bar?
The good news is everything is working and the only issues that might keep me from riding are the left foot peg making a weird vibration that I have to figure out and the bent handlebar.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It happens, glad you are OK and damage is minimal!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Shitty! But at least it happened at the stop sign and not the hairpin! Like you said. Good opportunity to upgrade :cool:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Hopefully, it will serve as another reminder to anyone in snow country (like me) to be extra aware of all the residue sand left from the winter.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
ive been taking corners like a complete grandma for this very reason and even still there were 1 or 2 sections where i almost got into trouble.

I thought your bike pics were going to be worse, but they dont look awful, glad you're ok.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sorry to hear OP. I am always afraid to take turns sharp because of sand, gravel, ect. I never thought about encountering it at a stop sign.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Be glad you had the slider and didn't dent your tank. Everything else is bolt on and quick to replace. I had to replace my radiator and my baby still has a dented tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
Looks like the front slider saved your radiator.
Thinking the same. Scuffed slider, a few minutes and low cost to replace. Intact radiator makes the replacement slider worth every cent. Most importantly, you're OK. There's still a lot of stuff on the roads from the snow and ice storms around here as well. Don't like it much, but it's there anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like the front slider saved your radiator.

I feel ur pain.
Yupp I'm glad my tank/radiator are okay. It's just a low speed drop anyways.

ive been taking corners like a complete grandma for this very reason and even still there were 1 or 2 sections where i almost got into trouble.

I thought your bike pics were going to be worse, but they dont look awful, glad you're ok.
It wasn't even the corner that got me it was just pulling up to a stop sign.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok... good to see the slider did its job. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sux. Glad you're ok and damage is light as such things go. How much of a change are you thinking of for the bars? I'm guessing not as far as clubmans, but those are doable.

R&G Plug 'n Play Micro Indicators turn signals (LED) - TwistedThrottle.com
I have these for front and rear but haven't installed yet, plus a flasher relay that replaces the stock one, instead of resistors for each signal.
I definitely don't want clubmans. Not sure how low of bars I want. All of my previous bikes have had clip ons.

What flasher relay are you using?

Could use these resisters right?
R&G Plug 'n Play Micro Indicators turn signal resistors (pair, 21.5 ohm each) - TwistedThrottle.com

The stator cover is crankcase cover #1 in this diagram right? Only $68 really? That's a lot less than I thought it would be. It also looks like I'd have to remove the water pump to get that cover off so I would need a water pump gasket and a Stator cover gasket? And then have to drain the coolant to replace the stator cover?
http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/yam/52869b0cf8700230dc2a7593/crankcase-cover-1

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Would the full OES kit with spools and fork sliders have reduced the damaged to stator cover? I want to protect the bike in every way possible.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes, if you go the resistor way those will work. ELFR-1 Electronic LED Flasher Relay with OEM Connector | Custom LED is the flasher I got, haven't installed it yet. The flasher is just a bit more $ than 2 pairs of resistors, but to me it's a much cleaner install. Too many wires and bits when working on the bike as it is lol.

Your parts link took me to an index page. See if this works 2014 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09EGY) Crankcase Cover 1 | Motorcycle Goodies there it is part #1, almost the same price, and a supporting vender of this forum. I haven't done it, but yeah, the work of changing the part is worse than the price lol.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
glad your okay

Those sliders helped, but not much. Comparing the wear between he sliders and engine case, I believe the sliders should stick out further. Regardless all the slides I've seen lead me to believe the best protection is the R&G case covers.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Would the full OES kit with spools and fork sliders have reduced the damaged to stator cover? I want to protect the bike in every way possible.
Stoltec in the vender's section of the forum will have Woodcraft case protectors soon, that's the way I'm going.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I did that very same thing on my old bike. Sorry bro...we got cinders everywhere here. I think someone has free turn signals in the free stuff thread. Pm Niner...I gave him my old signals...I don't think he used them

1 - 20 of 24 Posts