Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally upgrading from my '06 SV650s that I bought brand new over 8 years ago! She has treated me well, but alas she must go and it's time to get a new beautiful lady. :D

I'm finding it a little difficult to get a '14 model anymore and the '15s aren't due to arrive (for me at least) for a little while. I did find one place that found the black '14 for me though so I should be getting that one.

Any tips for right when I get her? I know there is a recall on the headlight wiring and I've heard something about the ECU flash. Not sure if that is a factory thing or something that you have to pay for.

Right away I'm looking at the following:
Small windscreen
Fender eliminator
Turn signals
Likely a new seat (for riding 2-up)

In the near future will be exhaust and likely a new handlebar

All she's gotta do is pass one more test this afternoon: Wife is going to sit on back to make sure it's good for 2-up. Then we're good to go!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Many ride 2 up on the FZ09 and seem to like it. I can't imagine riding 2 up as the bike is just too small for that IMO but if you and she are comfortable on it together then by all means go for it.

Have not heard of any seat that significantly upgrades the passenger seat. I expect the Sargent will have a better passenger area but I don't know for sure as I haven't seen one personally yet.

There are a few folks that do custom seats the they could do whatever you want.

Riding 2 up you are definitely going to want to upgrade the rear shock and the forks. You can go cheap or all out, just depends on what results you want and what your budget is.

Search the threads for ideas on each topic as there are plenty of threads on each of your questions.

:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we've been riding 2-up on the SV650 and it's been fine. I will look into upgrading the shocks, but don't think I'll go all out. We'll see how she does.

Looking into getting the bike this week, but alas, will have to take the SV on the planned trip this weekend because we are both more comfortable with it and know it. I consider having a motorcycle like a relationship - you really have to get to know her before you can really trust her with everything :)

I've been looking around and am stoked to get back into modding!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't know if you've already got your bike or not, but I live in lemoore, CA. I got mine through Wheels in Motion in Chatworth, CA and paid $9100 out the door, and they were super knowledgable and helpful. So if the dealers up there give you any B.S. at least you have some perspective from a somewhat local dealership. Goood luck!

P.S. the headlight is a recall and will be performed for free by the dealer, hopefully they've already done this before they sell it to you.

The ECU flash is a technical service bulletin applicable to the 2014's. you have to ask for it, and the dealer has to have the correct equipement, I still haven't been able to get mine done. So if the dealer up there is able to hook you up let me know please!

Both should be performed at no cost to you, the dealer will get reimbursement from yamaha.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Ask the Dealership to check the Y-CCT issue too -- it affected many 2014's too.

While speaking to Yamaha USA Customer Service recently they mentioned that All dealers are aware of All three issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't know if you've already got your bike or not, but I live in lemoore, CA. I got mine through Wheels in Motion in Chatworth, CA and paid $9100 out the door, and they were super knowledgable and helpful. So if the dealers up there give you any B.S. at least you have some perspective from a somewhat local dealership. Goood luck!

P.S. the headlight is a recall and will be performed for free by the dealer, hopefully they've already done this before they sell it to you.

The ECU flash is a technical service bulletin applicable to the 2014's. you have to ask for it, and the dealer has to have the correct equipement, I still haven't been able to get mine done. So if the dealer up there is able to hook you up let me know please!

Both should be performed at no cost to you, the dealer will get reimbursement from yamaha.
Hey I'm out of Lemoore too! Haven't seen any other 09ers out here, except in Fresno. We'll have to meet up if you're down. Anyway not to thread jack... My gf and I ride 2up all the time. She complains about the seat, so that's next on the list. I've already put in a zx-10 rear shock and that helped a lot with the bumps and handling. Forks are also on the to do list. 2up is very doable on it though. I'm loving the FZ09 way more than the SV650, I had a new '05 for 2 years that I rode the piss out of. Solid upgrade once you invest in suspension (hopefully you upgraded the sv suspension too, that bike really needed it). Just got the factory flash done today, smoothed out the throttle response. Ask for it if they haven't already done so.

Good luck out there and hopefully you score yourself one. I ended paying $9400 OTD back in August (after a 2 month wait list) since no one had any in stock around here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful info all!

I was actually able to find a Used 09 with 704 miles on it for MUCH cheaper! Not a scratch on it and they put the Yamaha front windscreen on it. Basically, this is going to give me some extra $$ when I sell my current bike to put into her.

Picking it up on Sunday - one more weekend trip on the SV650s with the wife :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like Christmas is coming early this year. Share some pics.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey, I'm a local. I just had the reflash done at pcp. It took them 5 days because they had computer problems, but I am pretty happy with the results.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked her up on Thursday - $5200 with 704 miles. Perfect condition. :cool:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Headlamp Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Fuel tank
Now it's selling my old bike and I get some play money for this one!

Hey, I'm a local. I just had the reflash done at pcp. It took them 5 days because they had computer problems, but I am pretty happy with the results.
Welcome to the forum.
Cool! Yeah, I need to bring her in for the headlight and 600 mile service too. Will schedule that very soon...

Where in Sac area are you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man, what a steal and in CA??? . I am looking but never seen that cheap used for sale.
Yeah, found it in Napa on Cycletrader. Got really lucky IMO. I just happened to be the first legit call for the bike he got.

My list of mods I want is growing...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Curious to know your initial impressions of the ride. And other than the windscreen what mods did the previous owner do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious to know your initial impressions of the ride. And other than the windscreen what mods did the previous owner do?
Okay, first, I went to a dealer to check on an FZ-09. They had an 07 and let me ride that. It was meh. Basically felt like an upright version of my SV.

Then the 09. WOW, what a difference. In STD mode, it felt crisp and linear with the throttle. Felt light and nimble - easy to maneuver. The Suspension is a little soft, but I'm okay with that. The riding position is great IMO and I could go for much longer rides than the SV. Will need a new saddle though to make it better for myself and the wife. It was a little windy last night and I was being blown around quite a bit, but that's fine.

As far as mods, the only thing that the PO did was the cowl. Good with me as I was planning on getting one anyway. I do have some plans in the near future:
Fender eliminator
LED Front and rear blinkers
New saddle (with comfort for the wife)
M4 Slip on exhaust
Clutch and brake levers
Projector retrofit + HID for headlight

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Picked her up on Thursday - $5200 with 704 miles. Perfect condition. :cool:
View attachment 10424 View attachment 10425
Now it's selling my old bike and I get some play money for this one!

Cool! Yeah, I need to bring her in for the headlight and 600 mile service too. Will schedule that very soon...

Where in Sac area are you?
$5200??!! That's quite a deal! Congrats. I live down the highway a piece in Fairfield. "See you" on the highway!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey, a fellow Sacramento FZ-09 owner here as well! Do you ever go to the bike nights at Cycle gear? I'm gonna have Dave Moss set up my suspension for aggressive street riding.. best $40 you will spend on that bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, a fellow Sacramento FZ-09 owner here as well! Do you ever go to the bike nights at Cycle gear? I'm gonna have Dave Moss set up my suspension for aggressive street riding.. best $40 you will spend on that bike.
I've been to the bike night at Cycle Gear once. FML. I have three kiddos at home so getting out can be difficult at times. Plus I'm about 45 miles north of Sacramento now, so Cycle gear is about an hour away for me. But now that you bring it back up...I think I'll go sometime soon. Maybe next week?

Does Dave Moss work there? I'd love to get my suspension setup the best it can for me (I know I'll probably want to get something different as I'm on the larger side at about 230#).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts