Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I only ride the bike home with stock bars. So excited, not really taking account for how things where. Just enjoying the ride!! The next morning I installed a set of Fly Aero bars. Ran them for a few days but it consistently felt like my RH side was inward by about 1/4". I had a few buddies take it out and they too agreed with me. So thinking it was the bars I put on a new set of Pro-Taper Contour bars. Guess what, same thing!! Looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I know the bikes never been down. I was thinking about loosening the headset and re-torquing. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
So I only ride the bike home with stock bars. So excited, not really taking account for how things where. Just enjoying the ride!! The next morning I installed a set of Fly Aero bars. Ran them for a few days but it consistently felt like my RH side was inward by about 1/4". I had a few buddies take it out and they too agreed with me. So thinking it was the bars I put on a new set of Pro-Taper Contour bars. Guess what, same thing!! Looking to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I know the bikes never been down. I was thinking about loosening the headset and re-torquing. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!
Hmm... I am not an expert but I went through some troubleshooting recently... Is the bike steering in that direction, or just the bars feel uneven in terms of position? are the forks adjusted by the same amount?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
How did you position the new bars? The new bars should have reference marks to help you position them left-right and rotationally.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steering is straight. Definitely just a feeling. I'm not a newbie to bike things, being certified in Honda and Kawasaki training but this is killing me. I've gone over everything! You can see by the pics everything is pretty Damn centered. Fork height is the same, clamps went on just as I took em off from stock too.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
lookup how to re-align front end.. you forks might be a bit tweaked and just need to pop back.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Throughout the process did you ever loosen the pinch bolts on your triple clamps? Mine had a habit of tweaking towards the right. I loosened the upper triple clamp bolts, put the front tire between my legs facing back towards the bars, grabbed the bars, and twisted back towards center. Tighten upper bolts, done. These long ass front forks are easy to tweak.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Throughout the process did you ever loosen the pinch bolts on your triple clamps? Mine had a habit of tweaking towards the right. I loosened the upper triple clamp bolts, put the front tire between my legs facing back towards the bars, grabbed the bars, and twisted back towards center. Tighten upper bolts, done. These long ass front forks are easy to tweak.
I'll have to try this. So it just realigns the upper area? Can see where this would work. Thanks

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Forks usually tweak by twisting the tubes and the upper clamp is the likely culprit, not the lower clamp. It is an old motocross trick.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Had the same problem after a big fall on my DRZ that bent the handlebars. The new bars felt uneven and not straight. Just as described above, I loosen the top triple pinch bolts and had a friend hold the front wheel between their legs and grab the handlebars a quick push left and right a couple times. This resettle the fork tubes in the triple clamp. One of the fork tubes was actually now higher after the procedure and had to be adjusted to match the other side. To get the correct height it helps to put the front on a triple tree lift while doing the procedure. There is a Motion Pro fork alignment tool you can buy that will do it more accurately names ForkTru but this may not work on our FZ forks due to the size..

08-0412.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
A piece of glass or a piece of marble tile did a great job on my bike.

There's an open space just above front fender, you put your plate there and adjust forks until there's no more tilt.

Mine did the same thing, just make sure your rear wheel is also aligned with the front.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Steering is straight. Definitely just a feeling. I'm not a newbie to bike things, being certified in Honda and Kawasaki training but this is killing me. I've gone over everything! You can see by the pics everything is pretty Damn centered. Fork height is the same, clamps went on just as I took em off from stock too.

This won't be a cause of misalignment,but you're handlebar clamps are around the wrong way.The dimple should face forward

·
Registered
651 Posts
Had the same problem after a big fall on my DRZ that bent the handlebars. The new bars felt uneven and not straight. Just as described above, I loosen the top triple pinch bolts and had a friend hold the front wheel between their legs and grab the handlebars a quick push left and right a couple times. This resettle the fork tubes in the triple clamp. One of the fork tubes was actually now higher after the procedure and had to be adjusted to match the other side. To get the correct height it helps to put the front on a triple tree lift while doing the procedure. There is a Motion Pro fork alignment tool you can buy that will do it more accurately names ForkTru but this may not work on our FZ forks due to the size..

View attachment 10092
The correct way to align forks is to loosen the axle clamp,the mudguard (fender) screws and the top fork yoke clamps and bounce the suspension several times without using the front brake.Then tighten everything up.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
This won't be a cause of misalignment,but you're handlebar clamps are around the wrong way.The dimple should face forward
I don't know about other bikes, but for the 09 those dimples face the rear. Because of the speedo mounts the lower bar clamps can only go on one way unless you relocate the speedo. The upper clamps are asymmetric, each upper only fits one lower and in one orientation.

Edit: Oops! Each upper does have to stay with it's matching lower clamp. But the uppers can be flipped around. When flipped the only visible difference is the dimple, so doesn't seem to make any real difference. The dimple on the bar (hidden when assembled) does face the rear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The handlebar clamps have a dot on one of their corners. The dots have to be up one in the right corner the other in the left corner

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Forks usually tweak by twisting the tubes and the upper clamp is the likely culprit, not the lower clamp. It is an old motocross trick.
Gave this a whirl this morning. All I can say is thanks! Much, much better. Still needs a little more adjusting but damn, I didn't realize how nimble that upper is. You can grab the bars and twist the whole upper assembly a good 1" left or right.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Have you aligned the rear tire?

I have noticed that an out of alignment rear tire can result in a "crabbing" feel to the bars and often accompanied by the bike being more willing to turn one direction over the other.

On my FZ09 the alignment marks for the axle adjuster blocks do not line up correctly and I use the string method to make sure my rear tire is aligned.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't know about other bikes, but for the 09 those dimples face the rear. Because of the speedo mounts the lower bar clamps can only go on one way unless you relocate the speedo. The upper clamps are asymmetric, each upper only fits one lower and in one orientation.

Edit: Oops! Each upper does have to stay with it's matching lower clamp. But the uppers can be flipped around. When flipped the only visible difference is the dimple, so doesn't seem to make any real difference. The dimple on the bar (hidden when assembled) does face the rear.
No ,sorry.
From the Yamaha service manual:
Selection_007.jpg

I would question why the manufacturer went to the trouble of putting the punch mark on the clamps if they are perfectly symmetrical.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Gave this a whirl this morning. All I can say is thanks! Much, much better. Still needs a little more adjusting but damn, I didn't realize how nimble that upper is. You can grab the bars and twist the whole upper assembly a good 1" left or right.

Sure,you can twist the forks back into alignment.The problem is that the axle also got twisted in it's clamp and when you twisted the forks straight,the axle is still applying a torque to the fork slider.This will increase the stiction the forks exhibit when they move.
That is why the procedure I described above is the correct way to get everything to settle at their optimum positions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Flip the upper clamps around. The punch marks should face forward. And each one is different. The punch on the left side should be in the upper left, the right one should be in the upper right.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts