Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK. I don't know if this is in my head or if this is actually a problem... I was hoping some of my more enlightened friends here could let me pick there brain...

On the group ride the other day we got a mild turn nothing crazy wasn't going fast at all or anything and the rear started to give out, I felt it slide out and then regain traction then slide out and regain traction again. I slowed to a stop, looked at the rear tire, didn't notice anything visibly wrong and started off to try and find the group. Then as I was going the bike just didn't feel right at all, I thought maybe my head was playing tricks on me, but the back just felt squirrelly (all over the place). I pulled over again and as I was slowing down, I swear I heard a few metal pings or dings..

We made some adjustments to my suspension after lunch (but this all happened before lunch...) I don't think this is affecting this issue in any way..

The past two nights I have taken the bike out on familiar roads to get a feel for the suspension adjustments, but I can't even get a low speed corner in. I put the bike up on the paddock stand and started doing a visual inspection (to the best of my ability) and didn't notice anything wrong. I then started her up and sounds good. I drop it into first, and wham. WTF, the wheel starts accelerating, but my hand is still firmly engaging the clutch handle...It slows with the rear brake, but starts accelerating again once brake is released. Is it just clutch drag?

See video, I never let go of the clutch lever...

This can't be normal... is it? I cant get my FZ6 up on the stand to compare (no spools)...
If this is normal, what could be causing this feeling? Is it in my head??
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ashamed and Crazy,
House

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What's also odd to me is how quick the wheel stops spinning after I put it back into neutral at the end...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Video is private.

With the tire slipping, what's your pressures at? When was the last time you checked? My OEM Dunlops have required airing up a few times now despite having no damage.
What was the road like? Pavement varies in grip from patch to patch, mile to mile.

Where's your clutch adjusted to? Does it engage right after you begin releasing, or once the lever is almost all the way out?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
House you are mixing up two different things. With the clutch pulled in in first gear...the rear wheel WILL turn because of clutch drag. That is normal on any bike. Some bikes it's major...some bikes it's minor.

Now the handling problem is not associated with the above at all. If you have the correct air pressue in the rear tire....then something is broken. Take it to the dealer and do not ride it. What you described {if accurate and not embellished} is dangerous and indicates a broken shock...cracked swingarm....cracked frame...something like that. You can't fix that. Take it to the dealer and let them ride it around a corner....and diagnose it.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I would say two non related issues. Have you had the wheel off recently? Can you pull side to side with the wheel to see if you have a bad wheel bearing? Do you have a new tire? I once got a defective Dunlop, with a mislaid belt, that caused slides and wheelie wobbles

Number two, did you take the slack out of the throttle cable? Did you recently adjust your clutch? Can you hear stranger than usual clutch noises as you engage or disengage your clutch.?

Like a doctor, in order to correctly diagnose a reaction, you must first rule out any routine changes that may cause the problem. Once you rules those out, then you can look to a failure.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Video is private.

With the tire slipping, what's your pressures at? When was the last time you checked? My OEM Dunlops have required airing up a few times now despite having no damage.
What was the road like? Pavement varies in grip from patch to patch, mile to mile.

Where's your clutch adjusted to? Does it engage right after you begin releasing, or once the lever is almost all the way out?
Video fixed..

Pavement did have some gravel, but I really don't believe I hit any.. Plus it felt wiggilly all the rest of the day...

Tires at 40ish rear, 35ish front (just checked before taking video)

I have the clutch lever set so that the bite point is closer to when I first start pulling the lever...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
40 ISH means nothing. What was the pressure in both when this handling problem happened?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
House you are mixing up two different things. With the clutch pulled in in first gear...the rear wheel WILL turn because of clutch drag. That is normal on any bike. Some bikes it's major...some bikes it's minor.

Now the handling problem is not associated with the above at all. If you have the correct air pressue in the rear tire....then something is broken. Take it to the dealer and do not ride it. What you described {if accurate and not embellished} is dangerous and indicates a broken shock...cracked swingarm....cracked frame...something like that. You can't fix that. Take it to the dealer and let them ride it around a corner....and diagnose it.
Probably the most sound piece of advice. Always better safe than sorry... I did manage to ride it another 200 miles or so, but definitely feeling kind of funny...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say two non related issues. Have you had the wheel off recently? Can you pull side to side with the wheel to see if you have a bad wheel bearing? Do you have a new tire? I once got a defective Dunlop, with a mislaid belt, that caused slides and wheelie wobbles

Number two, did you take the slack out of the throttle cable? Did you recently adjust your clutch? Can you hear stranger than usual clutch noises as you engage or disengage your clutch.?

Like a doctor, in order to correctly diagnose a reaction, you must first rule out any routine changes that may cause the problem. Once you rules those out, then you can look to a failure.
Haven't had the wheel off for anything.. I will have to go and check the wheel for side to side action. Stock Bridgestone tires, still looking new.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
40 ISH means nothing. What was the pressure in both when this handling problem happened?
It was a couple days ago. I didn't check the tire pressure when I left in the morning, but seeing as I haven't added any air, I will say that it had to be at least what it was when I measured it a little bit ago. I don't recall the exact number off the top of my head, but I was really checking for an extreme variation (figuring whats a few psi between friends?)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My guess is that you never checked the air pressure since brand new and the rear tire had very low air pressure ...which makes the tire very very hot. You said you heard "pings" and that is consistant with a real hot tire picking up small gravel so when you accelerate ...the small gravel flies off and makes pinging noises until the rocks are gone. Also the real low air pressure will create some very evil handling.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My guess is that you never checked the air pressure since brand new and the rear tire had very low air pressure ...which makes the tire very very hot. You said you heard "pings" and that is consistant with a real hot tire picking up small gravel so when you accelerate ...the small gravel flies off and makes pinging noises until the rocks are gone. Also the real low air pressure will create some very evil handling.
That's not entirely true, I don't religiously grab the air pressure gauge before every ride , but I do periodically check my tire pressure. In the scenario though would the feeling still exist 1 or 2 days later? I have ridden two consecutive nights since...

I have an analog gauge, I tested psi about an hour before I made this post. Forgive me for not remembering the exact number, it's been a long day...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
40 is very high for the rear imo. There was a lot of gravel on the roads we were on. Davinci kept warning over our intercom about hot spots. Then he'd kick it up at me with his back tire haha.

How worn is your rear tire, do you know how to check the tire wear? (Don't mean to insult your intelligence here)

The combo of your tire pressure, gravel and emotional uneasiness mixed with this bikes ability to give anyone ride-o-phobia may be the culprit.

How well do you trust your dealer? this situation could potentially leave you vulnerable in their eyes if they are shady. Proceed with caution if you go that route. There's always Ron at wcw - I'd trust him with anything but he's a hike for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
40 is very high for the rear imo. There was a lot of gravel on the roads we were on. Davinci kept warning over our intercom about hot spots. Then he'd kick it up at me with his back tire haha.

How worn is your rear tire, do you know how to check the tire wear? (Don't mean to insult your intelligence here)

The combo of your tire pressure, gravel and emotional uneasiness mixed with this bikes ability to give anyone ride-o-phobia may be the culprit.

How well do you trust your dealer? this situation could potentially leave you vulnerable in their eyes if they are shady. Proceed with caution if you go that route. There's always Ron at wcw - I'd trust him with anything but he's a hike for you.
That's definitely a possibility, I will test this out by seeing my reaction to riding fz6 tomorrow. I am not really a stranger to losing traction in the back and regaining it, we have some sandy roads down here . But I almost swear something just doesn't feel quite right...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Maybe take the bike to s parking lot and do some low speed sharp maneuvering to compare?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
To put the tire pressure to rest, I got out of bed to get an exacted measurement

I checked wheel, no side to side play. The tires are worn pretty lightly . I will probably side with beck and say it's in my head..

Ugh that makes me feel stupid for even posting this question, haha.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's definitely a possibility, I will test this out by seeing my reaction to riding fz6 tomorrow. I am not really a stranger to losing traction in the back and regaining it, we have some sandy roads down here . But I almost swear something just doesn't feel quite right...
Don't second guess yourself. If you feel something isn't quite right, YOU'RE probably right. For myself, I'd inspect the bike thoroughly. Something could be loose, cracked, or ready to break-off completely.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Don't second guess yourself. If you feel something isn't quite right, YOU'RE probably right. For myself, I'd inspect the bike thoroughly. Something could be loose, cracked, or ready to break-off completely.
Yes, I didn't mean for my post to say ignore instinct. Thorough inspection makes a lot of sense. If you have a dealer you trust or a friend who is a handy, run it by them too.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts