Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work on Friday, I was accelerating from a stop and shifted from First to Second. Upon shift there was a loud "Clunk" and the tone of the engine changed completely to a lower tone and the bike began to idle rough and there was a substantial loss of power. I was less than 1 mile away from a Yamaha Stealership and made the detour there. I have all of 1 week left on my warranted. (Great timing if it is going to break, better break now). The shop is really backed up and won't start working on the bike until next week, so I don't know what happened. I will update once I know more...

2014 FZ09, Orange purchased on the East Coast.

·
Registered
610 Posts
How many miles on the bike??

·
Banned
739 Posts
Thank God you made it to a dealer while still under warranty. Doesn't matter when they fix it, but they can initially write it up with the date still within the period. I finally started to notice my CCT with a week to go on my warranty. Made it up to the dealer, he told me I was in the clear on the tensioner fix. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a little over 9,500 miles. I had requested them to take care of the CCT, but when they looked at it refused to change it under warranty back when they did the Headlight Wiring recall. I was not in the Shift Shaft recall.

My first thought was that I might have skipped a tooth on the Cam Chain, since it was running like the timing was off, but no idea until the take it apart. I'll post more once they take a look at it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Reactions: DECON BLUE

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have ordered a new CCT and will put that in, though visual inspection shows that it is timed correctly. After replacing the CCT, they will see what they can find, though it doesn't look like that is the issue, they want to check it first before really opening it up more than just taking the valve cover off. Will update once that is complete.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
sorry to hear about that. brace yourself, chances are it won't be pretty - the substantial loss of power and the change in exhaust note means you lost a cylinder. if i had to guess, the loud 'clunk' was piston to valve contact - either from a bent or dropped valve. if i were the shop, the valvetrain would be the first thing i'd check.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Not only excessive down time, but I can't see a failure of the CCT causing the issue as stated by Tj. The CCT is only taking up slack, but depending on what the engine is doing, a bad CCT could allow the chain to slip...although I've never seen that happen. Back in the 70's my dad had a car which had a nylon cam gear, and when that failed it was like the engine had zero compression...and wouldn't run.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
If it's under warranty I would have them pull one off a bike on the show room floor and see if that takes care of the problem..if not they can move on with what the problem really is !

1 - 20 of 73 Posts