Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I totaled 675 miles on #17 before I put it away for the winter. Now I just stare at it in the shed, and dream of second gear power wheelies waiting for the snow to melt. I have noticed lots so people talking about low siding the bike. I suggest this is this for two reasons. Cold tires, and inexperience.

I will comment on one phenomenon that I think will result in a lot of dropped bikes. The front suspension is soft, almost too soft. When coming to a stop this bike has a tendency to "pogo" when the bike stops, and the weight shifts back. This has caught me 3 or four times. Just when you think you have your foot down- you suddenly 2 inches up. Watch for this.

Another thing is the loose feeling throttle. I've commented before that it feels like it needs a shim to stop it from laterally sliding on the bar. It's annoying as hell.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. This isn't a bike for anyone with less than 3 years experience. This bike is to be respected. You can't turn a bike with the front tire in the air.

Stay safe and stay warm guys.

Anyone thought of a group meet?

Ryan.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Anyone thought of a group meet?
Are you thinking of a long weekend rally? I see you're from Ontario; a weekend format might be necessary to gather enough FZ-09 riders based on how far apart we are geographically. Sounds interesting, though. I attended a long weekend rally in September 2012 in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania.

There's a nice motorcycle campground not far from there with spartan but pleasant and affordable rental units. At least one of the attendees was from Ontario, several were from New England and most of the rest were from the middle Atlantic states. If there's enough interest, I can post some pictures from my work scouting the region for that rally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of riding down to the dragon in the early summer. (June). We could use that area as a meeting point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm itching bad today to get out on it. The road salt is not a good thing however.

Reactions: ktk_ace and v2Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm talking deals gap. NC TN border

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm talking deals gap. NC TN border
I'm in Va. near the TN. NC. border. About an hour from the Mountain City "entrance" to the Snake which isn't far from the Gap which is south/west of me. Also the back of the Dragon which is east of me. Also a few miles north of me (which is not widely know except to the locals) is what we lovingly call old Rt. 80. It's a relatively short ride but I've never been on anything like it! A lot of Great curves to ride here in the heart of the Appalachian mountains. Route 80 link below.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Here's a thought....If someone decides to make this OFFICIAL.....A Dragon Trip, please post it in the "FZ09 Events Section" of the forum so it doesn't get lost or fall several pages back. Since I live 18 miles from Deals Gap, if I'm not doing a track day or tied up that weekend, I would be happy to help with the planning of this as well as lead some rides in the area.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Im planning to hopefully be in the Deals Gap area the first full week of July.

The same thing I did last year only much less. Im gonna try to stop and enjoy more.

Last year on my Can-am Spyder I did the Dragon, Devils Triangle, Snake, Rattler, Cherahala, plus some I cant remember right now. All in about 5 days time. Got caught in the big Tropical storm that covered the whole region with INSANE and constant deluges of pouring rain. My Spyder is the ultimate rain machine though so I plowed on but eventually gave up and headed home on my way to the Diamondback ride. A stroke of pure luck was finding a little motel next to a golf club restaurant in the middle nowhere in the mountains. A couple lessons learned here: One is to put ALL your rain gear on and do it BEFORE you get wet. My waterproof boots were filled with water and I couldnt understand why until I realized I didnt put on my lower liner which alowed water to run down my legs right into my boots adding much to my cold, wet misery. Oh, and I was riding alone with no travel plans. Not very smart really but I almost always ride alone, and I dont like to plan much as I feel it takes the adventure out of it..

This July Im just gonna hang at the Gap for a few days, get my picture taken, try to enjoy the experience instead of the insanity I allowed myself to get into last time.

Also, avoid the Devils Triangle until you are very experienced. There are several switchbacks that are not for the faint of heart with the tightest possible turns going into a full incline as soon as you make the turn. I rode it alone, at night, in the rain. Not recommended! Well maybe on a reverse tricycle. LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts