Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a nice ride around Delavan Lake when a Squid (t-shirt, shorts, unlaced athletic shoes, Cubs hat on backward) pulls up next to me at a stop light. Gives me a look over and revs his motor. Before I could wonder, WTF is this guy serious, the light turns green and he blasts away. I decided to see what Mr. Eff Zee had hanging. So took off after him. Within 4 seconds Squidward was in my rear view mirror and getting smaller.

Damn, this bike can go.

:cool:

·
Registered
225 Posts
My other bike is actually a 2012 Ninja 650.

It's not even funny how much faster the FZ-09 is. I get on my Ninja now and it feels like I'm crawling, no matter how much gas I give it.

It's sad, because the Ninja still isn't a slow vehicle by any stretch of the imagination.

:D

·
Registered
294 Posts
My last ride was a 650r...it's got quite a bit of torgue (like the FZ). It'll beat a lot of bikes off the line...but no way will it win the race.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I can hear it now. "But officer, he challenged me to race." Racing is a big ticket item around here. The only thing worse is a DUI. They hang a reckless driving on you. Be careful about getting

G

·
I can hear it now. "But officer, he challenged me to race." Racing is a big ticket item around here. The only thing worse is a DUI. They hang a reckless driving on you. Be careful about getting
In Ontario

Penalties for street racing, stunt driving and driving 50 km/h or over the speed limit

Pre-conviction – Immediate 7-day licence suspension and 7-day vehicle impoundment

Upon conviction - $2,000 to $10,000 fine, 6 demerit points, up to 6 months jail, up to 2 years licence suspension for a first conviction

Second offence – Driver licence suspension up to 10 years within 10 years of first conviction

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah street racing fines are heavy, if you get caught. The great thing about bikes is you speed up and slow down so fast. And average race would only last 20 seconds or so. Nice kill OP.

Reactions: dfir and FJRider

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
WillowBilly, what is legally required to define it as a race? Nothing more than 2 vehicles accelerating quickly?

·
Registered
336 Posts
In Ontario

Penalties for street racing, stunt driving and driving 50 km/h or over the speed limit

Pre-conviction – Immediate 7-day licence suspension and 7-day vehicle impoundment

Upon conviction - $2,000 to $10,000 fine, 6 demerit points, up to 6 months jail, up to 2 years licence suspension for a first conviction

Second offence – Driver licence suspension up to 10 years within 10 years of first conviction

DANG!!! That is serious stuff there man the Canadians aren't playing around. That's the kind of thing that could mess up your life pretty good, lose your job, etc....do squids run from the police a lot in light of this?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
WillowBilly, what is legally required to define it as a race? Nothing more than 2 vehicles accelerating quickly?
Every jurisdiction has different quirks. Google your state and/or municipality with the term "Street Racing Statute".

Here is Florida's
316.191 Racing on highways.—
(1) As used in this section, the term:

(b) “Drag race” means the operation of two or more motor vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more motor vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such motor vehicle or motor vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(c) “Race” means the use of one or more motor vehicles in competition, arising from a challenge to demonstrate superiority of a motor vehicle or driver and the acceptance or competitive response to that challenge, either through a prior arrangement or in immediate response, in which the competitor attempts to outgain or outdistance another motor vehicle, to prevent another motor vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another motor vehicle or motor vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes. A race may be prearranged or may occur through a competitive response to conduct on the part of one or more drivers which, under the totality of the circumstances, can reasonably be interpreted as a challenge to race.

And the Penalties:
(3)(a) Any person who violates subsection (2) commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Any person who violates subsection (2) shall pay a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000, and the department shall revoke the driver license of a person so convicted for 1 year. A hearing may be requested pursuant to s. 322.271.

(b) Any person who commits a second violation of subsection (2) within 5 years after the date of a prior violation that resulted in a conviction for a violation of subsection (2) commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, and shall pay a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $3,000. The department shall also revoke the driver license of that person for 2 years. A hearing may be requested pursuant to s. 322.271.

(c) Any person who commits a third or subsequent violation of subsection (2) within 5 years after the date of a prior violation that resulted in a conviction for a violation of subsection (2) commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, and shall pay a fine of not less than $2,000 and not more than $5,000. The department shall also revoke the driver license of that person for 4 years. A hearing may be requested pursuant to s. 322.271.

Reactions: Willowbilly

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm and old hot rodder who lived through the 1960s muscle car times. I probable was on hundreds of street races. You gotta pick your spots and opponents. The coast was clear and squidward was clueless.
I really envy people who got to live in those days. Every time i hear someone reminisce about those times, I wonder how it has gotten so out of control. Whether it is common sensical approach by police officers, safe environment for children, affordable quality made goods, etc. It just seems like a the golden age for American freedom's.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
520 Posts
Different class of bike, fz is obviously faster... Im glad this guy put it on the punk child though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I really envy people who got to live in those days. Every time i hear someone reminisce about those times, I wonder how it has gotten so out of control. Whether it is common sensical approach by police officers, safe environment for children, affordable quality made goods, etc. It just seems like a the golden age for American freedom's.
I always approached traffic infractions with common sense. (25 years as a LEO). I never wrote a biker for such stuff. I did write a guy in a little car who had seen Fast and Furious one too many times. He was racing his buddy through a public parking garage. Bad venue in my opinion.

It was never a desire to be a jerk that motivated me. It was fatal accidents I responded to over the years. I just tried to get people to ride safe.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I slayed a GSXR 750 a couple weeks ago... Get to the light... "Is that a Ducati?"

Reactions: EdVR and Travis

·
Registered
76 Posts
So far I've raced an R6 , GSXR 600 , SV650, Thruxton , Ford Mustang, Lamborghini xxxx, and some orange Dodge Charger with racing stripes

I'm @ 7wins / 0 losses

Waiting to race a Striple, and make it 8 wins.

Reactions: ridethepiggy

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From my hot rodding days I would mentally calculate power to weight of an opponent. Then I would listen to the engine. A big block is great on the strip, but a small block winds up faster and is quicker on the street. I had a 67 cuda with a 340. Cars that gave me problems were small block camaros and mustangs. You had a 3 ton Buick 442 - I would blow your doors off. I see a 55 Chevy with a one piece lift off front end and a small block chug - I would back off.

·
Registered
657 Posts
In Ontario

Cop catches you lifting a front wheel, same penalty. We've had people weaving in and out of traffic, as well as street racing causing multiple deaths in the last few years. That's how our government decides to try and fix the issue.

Oddly enough, deaths are still occuring due to kids racing on the streets.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts