Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been back and forth on when (and how) to put this forward, but the time has finally come. If for no other reason than I simply can't drag my feet any longer. Ordinarily, I would never post (much) personal information on the internet, and I'm not a social-media kind of person. That said, 2014 has been ripe with life-changing events that have initiated some much needed soul searching.

As many of you are aware, Stoltec Moto is an employment-mistress of mine. I've been an engineer 9-5 for the past 10 years and generally love what I do. I've enjoyed nearly every bit of my education and have worked with an amazing collection of people. I've experienced a variety of industries and touched a diverse selection of products and systems. It's also fair to say that, like many of you, I've been a gear-head since birth. I started building, breaking, fixing, and re-building at an early age courtesy of a father who still labors like a young man. It was this confluence of factors that spawned Stoltec Moto back in 2010.

Little by little, the Stoltec hobby turned into a fuller-time fixation. One project led to another and before long, the business took on a life of it's own. I've lost track of how long I've been working 80-100 hour weeks between both jobs. It's been a while. Despite adding part-time help along the way, the full-time commitment remains. By many definitions, this scenario indicates a growing business with budding potential. Score!

But, back to that (personal) soul searching... In some random twist of fate, we've had more funerals in the first six months of this year than I've had thus far in life. 32 years of naivety may have transpired to make this more challenging than it is really should have been, but change accompanies loss. Queue up a random Nickelback song and pick your favorite cliche: when one door closes, other one opens; death gives way to life; after the darkest night comes the brightest dawn. As it turns out, fate decided to bestow my wife and I with a bambino (our first). We're not in the end zone yet, but the path continues to look clear; I sincerely hope putting this out there doesn't rile the universe!

These factors have led to a decision to phase Stoltec Moto out of retail sales. This was a tremendously difficult decision, but the situation is what it is. Stoltec Moto is at least 1 year away from what I envision as being truly standalone, and the sacrifices required during that time will only be borne by my family. As such, we'll be taking this time to 'hit pause' and evaluate the situation in more clarity. The word 'pause' was selected carefully; one never knows what the future holds.

So what does this mean to you? Honestly, not much. Although sales are going to be strategically phased out as inventory is depleted, Stoltec Moto will continue to support our existing customers. If you have problems or questions, we'll be here to stand by what we've brought to market. Furthermore, our FZ-09 isn't going anywhere. There are still unfinished projects and development work that will be completed. Many of these efforts have been put on hold to support retail sales, so this change is expected to expedite some of this work. Where feasible, the fruits of these labors will be transferred to trusted retailers. Details on this end are still fuzzy, but stay tuned for updates.

In the meantime, there are several high points that I'd like to touch on as the website gets updated:

1. Stoltec Moto spec Penske shocks are still available! All orders will go direct through Penske, but feel free to bounce your situation off me. I'll work to get your specs figured out.
2. Nels of 2 Wheel Dyno Works is going to continue on with all ECU reflashes. No changes have occurred after ECUpacalypse. Nels and crew will take care of you better than anyone else.
3. GP Suspension will continue to offer all fork products we've worked to develop. All tech data has been transferred over (yes, all 6 fork revisions).
4. You guys rock.

Lastly, and most importantly, many thanks to our valuable customers. We've had four fun years with continuous growth that would not have been possible without you. I am forever indebted for the opportunity to talk with, meet, and ride with many of you! With any luck, this change will allow some more of that...

:D

Long day at the track - NJMP kicked my ass today....

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Best wishes for a very Happy & Healthy Family-life. This will begin a new chapter, with many more chapters in store for you ahead.

Steve101

·
Registered
198 Posts
First off, congrats! Parenthood is something else! No instruction manual! I think you'll do just fine! While disappointed your going to phase things out I know you wont leave us in the lurch and anyone you refer us to will be up to your standards. Enjoy the impending parenthood and don't be a stranger to this board (and the other ones)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nick, congrats! I am happy for you and yours on the upcoming "bambino(a?)"!

2008FZ6/2014FZ09

·
Registered
881 Posts
Congratulations on the family addition. Family first... sounds like you are on the right track (pun intended)!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Much respected decision Nick. Hopefully you'll stick around as an fz enthusiast/rider

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Aloha Nick; while I regrettably never took the opportunity to have my ECU flashed or let you work your magic on my suspension, I can say from the months I've spent on this forum and reading all your threads and posts that your contributions to this amazing bike and all of us here on this awesome forum that your products and expertise will be truly missed. I congratulate you and your wife on the pending addition to your family and as the father of a 6 year old daughter can truly say parenthood is one of the most blessed events one can experience. I wish you and your(growing) family all the health and happiness in the world. Not that you need confirmation from a total stranger, but your decision is sound and I respect you for making the difficult choice. Family is always first, the bikes will always be there. Best of luck on whatever path your future in the industry takes. Be assured, my friend, if you decide at some point to jump back in your legions of loyal customers, or future customers will be right there to support you. Thank you for your contributions and advice. Mahalo and A Hui Hou(til we meet again)
Aloha, Ken

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Nick, what exciting news and a big, hearty congratulations to both of you. As you and your wife start a new chapter in your lives, remember that as we grow, there is constant change. Also remember that life is short and placing family as your number one priority is the most important and wisest decision that you or anyone else could make. Also know that you and the dedication that you have shown, will never be forgotten. There are many of us on this forum that looked to you for advice, knowledge, and help regarding the "new" FZ09 and you have come through with an unbelievable amount of all of the above. So in this next chapter of life, you will also be asked to provide advice, knowledge, experience, guidance, and love; as there is nothing more important in this world than being a father to someone and raising that person to be a responsible, well adjusted, adult. Value this time, as it passes quickly, enjoy each and every day, and most of all, know that you are doing the right thing.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy and Dr_R

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
That's great news!!! The next chapter is going to be an amazing journey for you and your growing family.
For me personally, I am grateful to have had the benefit of your development expertise. Honestly, I would
never have pulled the trigger on buying the FZ, if not for your range of 09 solutions.
Kindest regards,
~lloyd

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for sharing. We wish you and your family the very best!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well congratulations on the upcoming rug rat. I hope all these changes won't make you a stranger around her though. Your contributions have helped and entertained us all a lot.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats to you and your family sir. I wish you the best. Thank you for all the work you put into making our bikes even better.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congratulations Nick. Sounds like a smart decision. I too have enjoyed your openness and advice on the forum, as well as several of your products. I have never been one to put advertising stickers on my bikes, but I think I will finally put that 'Stoltec Moto' sticker on my bike. Godspeed.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Nick, I think it's great that your life is actually becoming too full. Family comes first. A pause in your efforts to help us folks with top quality product development is well deserved... hopefully I can help reduce your inventory in the near future. Congrats! :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congrats to you sir! Best of luck to you as you enter this new phase in life, and thanks for all you have done to improve our bikes!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Nick

Congrats hope you enjoy the time with the new addition to the family, will certainly entertain and bring you much joy.
All your work and insight is well appreciated and the time you have taken to answer dumb questions (read me) and no doubt others on private/piblic posts is much appreciated.
Enjoy..

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Congrats. Children were the driving force behind us paying off all of our debt, including our mortgage. Time with children is fleeting, you never get those moments back. Who wants to work crazy hours, to pay for things they don't need, and sacrifice their kids/family?

Good choice. No one can raise your kids, besides you. Not schools, or daycare, only you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Congratulations Nick! Good luck on your new journey. Many members on this board, including myself are indebted to you for what you have contributed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good for you! That's a courageous decision. :eagerness: I'm glad you'll still be around though - I gotta get to my suspension!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congratulations Nick! Yes when one door closes another one opens. Good luck to you and your new family.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.