Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya hi...

been here for a while, mostly writing about my now sold FZ-09.
My gray FZ-07 will be here in about a months time.

On the goody list are:
-matris drop in cartridge kit
-Zard full system pipe
-HID 55W 4500 lumen kit
-Various electrical bits (free shit kicking around the garage) heated grips ,will have to pay for those :( stiebel air horn to ward off retards, gps wiring etc.etc..
-Possible rear shock swap with moar free stuff kicking around
-retro fit my old MRA fz-09 Screen (see free shit above)
-luggage of some sort..eventually maybe the sw motech rear rack

I'll post up a blog once the bike shows, and stuff starts going on it.

Greg

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
What made you go for the 07 after having the 09?...just curious.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ya... why?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also curious as to why you are stepping down a notch!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Personally I see them at 2 different bikes. The 07 is under rated in a way that It is tag has a down bike from a FZ09. But I really enjoyed riding the 07. The 07 is a torquy FZ6R minus 80 lbs! LOL

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You'll love it Greg. There are a lot of members here that never considered an 07 because they think a vertical twin can't be that entertaining...or it's too slow. Your ride report and comparison will be very interesting to read.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also curious as to why you are stepping down a notch!
well a couple factors contributed to the sale of the 9.

Like I said, I had a stupid awesome time on it in California, and it was bog stock, moar here:California take two. ? thetenerist

But where I live is pretty damn straight, nowhere really to let the 9 shine. I mainly used mine as a shits and giggles bike and a commuter for the most part. There's really sweet tweet around here for curvy engaging roads, unless you want to do gravel, and my Tenere does that just fine.
After sorting the bike out, I really liked it, but my buddy took it for a spin, and said that if I ever thought about selling up to get a hold of him. We worked out a price where all my add ons pretty much paid for themselves. Win!

The positives on the 9:
motor, motor, motor
brakes
looks

negatives: fuel range (200km then i'm pushing around town)
stock seat was just ok, even with the free sponge mod
I pretty much drove it everywhere on one wheel, because it was so damn easy.

So that brings me to the 7.
Took a short boot around town, and loved the stock throttle, decent power (pretty sure I'll be able to use 95% of the power, vs 55% of the 9's power)
I'll still go like a stabbed rat, so no issues there. Good brakes.
Suspension will need work (easy fix, and on it's way)
Tank range will be much better, by at least 50%

and change is good. I love working and owning bikes, each one different

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
And it still power wheely in first gear! EJK controller does a fine job on this bike too, even on stock exhaust with airbox snorkel removed.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Congrats, from everything I have read the 07 is a great bike, I am sure it will be a blast to ride.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And it still power wheely in first gear! EJK controller does a fine job on this bike too, even on stock exhaust with airbox snorkel removed.
not sure what i'll be doing as far as a fuel controller if anything.

I've been running slip ons of various brands on my tenere for 51 xxx km with zero ill effects. The bike fuels perfectly and the plugs burn a light gray. I'm getting the ecu flashed, but it's to do with rideability.

With my 9 I flashed the ECU with Nick,
but tell you the truth, the FZ07 fuels well on it's own. The zard pipe will most likely be run with baffle in at all times, so the back pressure should remain stock.

More to come mid January

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
not sure what i'll be doing as far as a fuel controller if anything.

I've been running slip ons of various brands on my tenere for 51 xxx km with zero ill effects. The bike fuels perfectly and the plugs burn a light gray. I'm getting the ecu flashed, but it's to do with rideability.

With my 9 I flashed the ECU with Nick,
but tell you the truth, the FZ07 fuels well on it's own. The zard pipe will most likely be run with baffle in at all times, so the back pressure should remain stock.

More to come mid January
I did an exhaust for the 07 and used the EJK. There's quite a difference with it. The bike run fine without it but even stock the bike pick up some mid range. Sort of getting out of exhaust business after I liquidate what I have in stock. I really like the 07 for sure. Might trade in the FZ6R once my wife get a bit more experience on it. It was design to pick up some mid range, didn't bother aiming for top end on a parallel twin.

Red: Stock
Blue: Marthy Delkevic with DBK
Green: No DBK... ya, loss top end w/o DBK??? AFR were right on

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did an exhaust for the 07 and used the EJK. There's quite a difference with it. The bike run fine without it but even stock the bike pick up some mid range. Sort of getting out of exhaust business after I liquidate what I have in stock. I really like the 07 for sure. Might trade in the FZ6R once my wife get a bit more experience on it. It was design to pick up some mid range, didn't bother aiming for top end on a parallel twin.

Red: Stock
Blue: Marthy Delkevic with DBK
Green: No DBK... ya, loss top end w/o DBK??? AFR were right on
I agree on the mid range.
No point of having power up high, torque is usable.

I'll see how it all plays out. I'll have some tasty bits showing up next month, i'll bolt those on and....wait till winter goes away:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a 2 mile test ride on an FZ-07 and found out in about the first block that it power wheelies (no clutch) in 3rd gear. And you are right Marthy, the smaller FZ is no downgrade compared to the FZ-09, just different. It's an awesome platform, and was rated bike of the year by UK's "Bike" magazine. If the FZ-07 would have come out before the FZ-09 I would have bought it and would have been perfectly happy. As it is, I will for sure own something with that "gem" of a motor in it. Although 2 months ago I bought a 2013 Duc Hypermotard 821 (lightly damaged) for the price of an FZ-07, so I'll probably wait to see what else Yamaha puts that awesome engine in.

@ Greg: Love the FZ-07, good choice, it will do most anything the stock FZ-09 will do, and be just as fun. Fueling is excellent out of the box, and wont require re-mapping an aftermarket exhaust with a D.B. killer in, as you said. Also as you said... it's fun owning different bikes, change is good (sometimes). Have fun with it, look forward to a review on the new FZ.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think that if it had been out at the time I would have bought the 07 over the 09. Given that 90% of my riding is city riding, the added power of the 09 is useless to me, and the 07 needs less in the way of upgrades to "complete" it. That being said, now that I went and did the upgrades, I am very happy with the 09 and couldn't see giving it up for an 07. Still, I'm sure you made the right choice for you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the 7 will suit me better. I'll be able to use the motor to it's full potential.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went with the 07 over the 09 because it fit me better and it's more sorted "out of the box". Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm tired of "dinking" with motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Let us know how it goes- maybe even convince me to do the same- mostly for greater range between fuel stops in case I decided to do some routes which have no gas stations for 150-160 miles. The lighter weight won't hurt either. Giving up the 09 would be really hard though- it does everything I want it to do in stock form and with some of my additions. The 07 felt a bit cramped to me on the shop floor but I will decide that after a test ride though. And of course, your feedback.
Riding slow bikes fast is definitely more fun- just came back from vacation in India where i rode the piss out of my old 150 single on high speed roads, at the limit all the time, to keep up with the traffic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts