Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally sold my Harley 48 and plan on using that $ to grab a new FZ09 in coming months. It's a strange feeling selling the first bike that I purchased after a long, long layoff on riding. The reason I bought the bike in the first place was because I thought it was such a cool looking machine, but after a year of riding I soon realized that the looks of the machine really are secondary to performance.

I guess my question is do you any of you ever get bummed out selling a bike even though you know it's just going to sit in the garage and be queen, costing you money on insurance as it depreciates each month in value? I just don't ride like a Harley bike rides, I don't dress the part, I'm embarrassed of the loud pipes, etc....yet at the same time it's unsettling to let it go in a weird way......is this normal, or is it just because it was my first bike after a long layoff? Regardless it doesn't matter, I have to have an FZ09 in the stable.

Just looking for thoughts of those can maybe relate to this odd emotion.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The solution to that problem is to pay cash for a new bike. Any bike that sits in the garage for the entire winter isn't worth making payments and paying insurance on. Been there....done that.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Well I finally sold my Harley 48 and plan on using that $ to grab a new FZ09 in coming months. It's a strange feeling selling the first bike that I purchased after a long, long layoff on riding. The reason I bought the bike in the first place was because I thought it was such a cool looking machine, but after a year of riding I soon realized that the looks of the machine really are secondary to performance.

I guess my question is do you any of you ever get bummed out selling a bike even though you know it's just going to sit in the garage and be queen, costing you money on insurance as it depreciates each month in value? I just don't ride like a Harley bike rides, I don't dress the part, I'm embarrassed of the loud pipes, etc....yet at the same time it's unsettling to let it go in a weird way......is this normal, or is it just because it was my first bike after a long layoff? Regardless it doesn't matter, I have to have an FZ09 in the stable.

Unfortunately the void you're feeling is loss without replacement; Its Not about money anymore. The girl you tired of is gone but her replacement hasn't shown up yet. But when she does you better be ready.....

Be careful what you wish for...middle aged lady leaves and you've got a Hott College Cutie on order, lol. As the saying goes, She could kill you -- IMHO, comparing a HD to the '09 is like comparing turtles to birds. Start taking your vitamins.

And take that test ride.:cool:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Bummed selling them, yes. But not nearly as painful as having your favorite one stolen and being forced to say goodbye before you are ready. I think you always miss them, but the feeling is satiated somewhat by the new toy....which at some point you will sell as well. And the cycle continues...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's normal... You will get over it. I swap bikes every 24 months, and I always feel the same.
This is refreshing to hear because I feel like after two years I was simply "over it". I can see me being the guy that swaps out the ride every two to three years. I always pay cash for toys so as long as I don't get crazy on mods and buy smart up front.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
This is refreshing to hear because I feel like after two years I was simply "over it". I can see me being the guy that swaps out the ride every two to three years. I always pay cash for toys so as long as I don't get crazy on mods and buy smart up front.
There seems to be soooo many bikes we want to ride and to own but we're All working with limited resources And, more importantly, limited time.:(

We need to kick-start the process every once in awhile.:cool:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There seems to be soooo many bikes we want to ride and to own but we're All working with limited resources And, more importantly, limited time.:(

We need to kick-start the process every once in awhile.:cool:
I knew I could count on this place to pull me up. I'm still floored at how 12,000 miles of riding after a long layoff can completely do a 180 to your riding priorities. I really thought at 43 years old the inner-hooligan had died, but I'm like a giddy little boy (but responsible and atgatt) every time I go and ride.....

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a pack Harleys pull next to me at a red light. The one guy yelled should of bought real bike! They all laughed and I said nothing. When the light turned green instead of turning like I was gonna. I went straight pounded second wheelie hit third wheelie again.
When they caught up to me at a red light I looked over and said I did! not a word was said but every chick on those baggers was smiling!!! Like others have said be careful and hang on tight! The first time you twist the throttle hard don't flip it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have had 20 bikes but never a Harley. The few times I've ridden one were enough for me. The inner-hooligan in me was definitely awakened with the FZ09. I am 50 and had only been away from riding for a couple of years. The light weight, the power, and wheelie ability make this bike the most fun I've had on two wheels in a long time. The wife has a Gixxer 750 for when I want to hear what 14k RPMs sounds like, but it is very uncomfortable and goes 80 in first gear so a little much on the street. I have heard the "real motorcycle" taunts as well. But I was looking for a lightweight and powerful standard so for me the FZ is as real as it gets. I did almost biff it a couple of times practicing wheelies so be careful and have fun!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have a Nightster, pretty much the same as the 48 minus that fat front tire. Its a fun bike to ride, but its not a hooligan bike..when I want to go out and grab a burger, or cruise the coastline in the summer, I put the girl on the back of the Harley and we go out and enjoy the ride...when I want to go out and start trouble, I leave the girl at home and take the FZ out....
I was actually selling The Harley at one point, but have since decided to just keep it

different tools for different jobs....there is nothing wrong with having more than one bike in the garage..:)

·
Banned
739 Posts
How ironic, my brother has a 48. I was thinking of sending a link to this thread to him, but didn't. I'm sure there is a young punk out there who went the other way on his bike choice. Probably had one of those wrecked FZ-09's with 20 miles on the odometer we see here occasionally. Then bought a 48 once he got out of the hospital.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a Nightster, pretty much the same as the 48 minus that fat front tire. Its a fun bike to ride, but its not a hooligan bike..when I want to go out and grab a burger, or cruise the coastline in the summer, I put the girl on the back of the Harley and we go out and enjoy the ride...when I want to go out and start trouble, I leave the girl at home and take the FZ out....
I was actually selling The Harley at one point, but have since decided to just keep it

different tools for different jobs....there is nothing wrong with having more than one bike in the garage..:)
Exactly... Both have importance in my life... The FZ complements the '02 R'King... like like digital music and Vinyl...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
. I'm sure there is a young punk out there who went the other way on his bike choice. Probably had one of those wrecked FZ-09's with 20 miles on the odometer we see here occasionally. Then bought a 48 once he got out of the hospital.
I wouldn't put a beginner on a Sportster any sooner than I would put them on the 09 , while maybe not sportbike fast, they are far from slow...now add in the fact that they are heavy, have shit brakes and dont turn very well... its a recipe for disaster for a new rider

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

Welcome aboard. Nuthin like going from a briggs to a sewing machine. No more loose molars from all the vibration.

Just joking dont shoot me!

The FZ will give you miles of smiles.:cool:

A guy really needs several different bikes to scratch all the itchs. Shame bikes are so expensive.

I would love to have a garage full.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't put a beginner on a Sportster any sooner than I would put them on the 09 , while maybe not sportbike fast, they are far from slow...now add in the fact that they are heavy, have shit brakes and dont turn very well... its a recipe for disaster for a new rider
Yeah imagine getting on that harley 48 after 15 year layoff and it has forward foot controls, a balloon tire that turns super slow and great torque but no speed. My last bike years ago was a Honda Interceptor 750 so getting on that Harley was about as alien of a feeling as one can imagine. I was far from a beginner rider as I had been riding since I was 10 years old, but after so much time off, it was almost like starting over. Problem was, it all came back to me too soon, and realized this sporty isn't gonna cut it. How the hell you going to wheelie a 650 lb bike with an enormous front tire:)! LOL!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
... I really thought at 43 years old the inner-hooligan had died, but I'm like a giddy little boy (but responsible and atgatt) every time I go and ride.....
The inner-hooligan never, ever dies... it just picks its time and place more carefully, expressing itself with extreme prejudice!

I have a really hard time letting go of bikes. Some I keep for years, so they become much more than just a machine... they become personal history. The last bike I sold was in 1993 iirc... hated doing it, but needed the money. :sad:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The inner-hooligan never, ever dies... it just picks its time and place more carefully, expressing itself with extreme prejudice!

I have a really hard time letting go of bikes. Some I keep for years, so they become much more than just a machine... they become personal history. The last bike I sold was in 1993 iirc... hated doing it, but needed the money. :sad:
Yeah I quickly found that out….hooligan for life thing. It's odd my wife was more freaking out about me selling that thing then I was?? She didn't even ride on it, not once, yet thought I should keep it. I already have a new Ducati Streetfighter 848 that I ride all the time, and the 48 was collecting dust. I'm totally fine today, and now have an fz09 to look forward to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts