Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is the plastic covering the screen on the instrument panel soft? I wiped some dust off it while riding with gloves on, and now I can see some tiny scratches on it. Not too noticeable, but they are there.

I'll be more careful in the future, and be sure to use a microfiber cloth!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, it is too soft in my opinion. I've somehow gotten small scratches by using a seemingly clean 100% cotton cloth with Honda polish. It should be the same material or harness as used on helmet shields, which seems to hold up much better.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The plastic on the stock mirrors is extremely soft. My mirror makes it look like I've been down on my left side because the plastic is all scratched when the only thing that's happened is having it rub across bushes trying to squeeze it by the car in the driveway to get it to the garage.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I dont own one yet, but maybe try making a stencil of the screen and cutting a screen protector for a tablet to fit it. There are a couple of really good screen protectors on the market that can be had fairly cheap. Would solve the scratching problem.
This is a good idea, although I wonder how UV resistant a tablet screen protector would be since they aren't meant to sit in the sun all day like a bike. It would suck if the film started yellowing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually planning on tossing a screen protector on it, maybe hitting it with some novus first. I guess time will tell if UV yellowing becomes a problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is a good idea, although I wonder how UV resistant a tablet screen protector would be since they aren't meant to sit in the sun all day like a bike. It would suck if the film started yellowing.
I believe some of the E-reader screen protectors are UV resistant. Barring that, I know the one I have on my car's radio is UV resistant. Just unsure of the dimensions of the 09's panel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I put a Tech Armor screen protector on. I tried to size it to cover the entire front, but the edges are tapered so it doesn't work out so well. Cutting it to fit the size of the screen works, though the edge of the protector is faintly visible. I'll see how well it holds up I suppose, and if the outline around the screen area bugs me more than the small scratches.

I did try polishing out the very edge with some Novus (#2), and it just caused a bunch more tiny little scratches. Nothing to major, but you can still see them. Maybe plastx would do a better job?

2014-04-19 00.41.02.jpg 2014-04-19 00.41.20.jpg 2014-04-19 00.41.26.jpg 2014-04-19 00.41.33.jpg 2014-04-19 00.41.38.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have applied a cut down screen protector from a table and replaced it once in 3 months. If you cut it right to the edge the wind lifts the edge. I have not cut mine down slightly smaller to cover the guage area before the radius on the edge starts with much improved results.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you order the Tankslappers 3M paint protection film to protect your gas tank , there is enough scrap to cover the display.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Last night I decided to try something. My screen had a couple light scratches in it, presumably from its journey here to the states... I used some Glare Spider Remover on a microfiber applicator, a couple light buffs, and they are gone, the screen is pristine again. It actually polishes up vey easily.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had two minor scuff/scratches on the instrument face plastic. After polishing the Super Tenere's windscreen with some Meguire's PlastX, I thought, "Why not?" and had a go at the FZ's plastic with some of that on a microfiber cloth.
It literally only took a minute and looks like brand new!
I know it won't work for every kind of damage. But, a drop of polish worked wonders in my case.
Just my $0.02 worth.
eddie
autogeek_2267_81414944.jpg

IMG_8022.jpg

Reactions: jasonk and Mothy

·
Registered
768 Posts
While on the subject of the instrument display, does anyone else's display have the black area inside the LCD part partially blocking the tachometer readout? Mine's not easy to see.
If the black part were about 1/8 inch farther up on the screen, I think the tach would be easier to read.
IMG_8021b.JPG

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I am thinking of trying some of this 3M Paint Defender Spray Film.

From the pro-mo video, it looks like it might do the trick.

Reactions: MoFZio
1 - 17 of 17 Posts