Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed Galfer front brake lines and the brakes were soft and didn't grab well. Bled them and no change. Cleaned the pads with brake cleaner and no change. Heated the pads with a torch until just smoking and no change. Bled again and no change. Finally today I remembered I installed cheap Chinese (redundant) levers with the brakeline swap so re-installed the OE brake lever. Voila, brakes feel solid and have bite. So what's up with the new lever? They look pretty in titanium grey and went on easily. Is the machining for the master cylinder rod in the lever wrong?

These were not Mad Hornet levers as I was looking for titanium, long levers.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
put the Chinese levers back on a confirm that was the solution.

My thought is that possibly the Chinese lever was pushing the piston in just a little and it was enough that there was a small air bubble that was not getting removed and that when you put the stock lever on, that bubble escaped and now you have better bite/feel.

Reactions: JustWantToRide

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep this was a reoccurring problem on the Gixxer forums with the cheap aftermarket Chinese levers. Someone even had their brakes lock up and crash somehow or nearly crash...anyway I would stick with the trusted brands made around here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts